PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you don't know what your hair needs?

Leslieslsa
February 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM
Maybe I am over thinking this a bit, but my hair is knotty. Like all the time. I cannot even wear it in a pony tail. It has been especially bad since the other night when I drank and got high and left it be for 24 hours, well that was a mess! I got it out, but not easily and ever since it seems like it has been even worse. I deep condition a lot and my hair looks shiny and good, but it just tangles so easily and feels like it has no slip. Which makes no sense because I deep condition at least once a week. I also clarify around once a week. I wash or get my hair wet about every three days. I just want it to be more manageable but don't know if it has too many cones or too little. I did some S&D and the ends are a little kinky, at least a lot of them are. They weren't before the mess the other day, in fact, they looked really good. I don't know what I can do. Any suggestions? Also my scalp is dry and itchy.

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 07:19 PM
Do you need to chelate? If in doubt this is often worth defaulting to, followed by a really basic intensive conditioning. Conversely you can clarify too often, are you shampooing your length every other wash, if so why?

Then consider your hair properties (porosity, coarseness, elasticity) and dew points/ humidity - are you working with these when choosing products and ingredients? If you dont know your properties you could have a microscope hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy.

Do you know what the ingredients in all your products are, at least by family (major emollients, occlusives, potent humectants, proteins and polyquats etc)? Do you know which can build up, which patch repair damage, which give slip, which affect water content of hair most? Are your products quite balanced or are you massively skewed in favour of occlusives say (natural oils, silicones, butters, waxes)?

It's a lot to think about, but it really does help you do your own troubleshooting or troubleshoot with others that have knowledge or experience complimentary to yours.

Scalp problems should be raised with your family doctor or dermatologist.

MeganE
February 2nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Sounds like chelating to me! I had the same issues and then started seriously tackling hard mineral build-up with regular chelating treatments, ACV rinses, and always always rinsing with distilled water. Hair is happy like I've never seen before. :)

Leslieslsa
February 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM
What exactly is a chelating issue and how do I care for it?

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Chelating is to remove mineral build up from hard water or chlorine from the pool. Purchase a chelating shampoo or sachet product: most also clarify.

ErinLeigh
February 2nd, 2014, 11:19 PM
here are links about conditioners to go with firefoxs questions
http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/05/hair-conditioner-ingredients.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/hair-moisturizer-vs-emollients/?page=2
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/the-411-on-dew-points-humectants

and a general one about buildup and ingredients i found interesting
http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/2009/09/silicones-polyquats-and-soap.html

DancingQueen
February 2nd, 2014, 11:39 PM
My hair tend to get insanely tangly every time I am due for a trim. And once I cut off 1 cm, It is on its best behavior again. I think dry, damaged ends are the culprits, and they can't be taken care of with oil.

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 12:43 AM
I second chelating. ;)

Leslieslsa
February 3rd, 2014, 07:12 PM
I got the packets for chelating, but now what kind of conditioner should I use afterwards?

Madora
February 3rd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Maybe I am over thinking this a bit, but my hair is knotty. Like all the time. I cannot even wear it in a pony tail. It has been especially bad since the other night when I drank and got high and left it be for 24 hours, well that was a mess! I got it out, but not easily and ever since it seems like it has been even worse. I deep condition a lot and my hair looks shiny and good, but it just tangles so easily and feels like it has no slip. Which makes no sense because I deep condition at least once a week. I also clarify around once a week. I wash or get my hair wet about every three days. I just want it to be more manageable but don't know if it has too many cones or too little. I did some S&D and the ends are a little kinky, at least a lot of them are. They weren't before the mess the other day, in fact, they looked really good. I don't know what I can do. Any suggestions? Also my scalp is dry and itchy.

Clarify with a clarifying shampoo. Then limit the deep conditioning to once a month. Clarifying should be done sparingly..once a month. Your hair's tangling issues sound like buildup to me. The less stuff you put on your hair, the less buildup and tangling issues you'll have.

Leslieslsa
February 3rd, 2014, 09:19 PM
I chelated/clarified with three of those packets from Sally's and now it is drying. I am crossing my fingers that it turns out better. It actually already kinda feels better.

Leslieslsa
February 6th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Yeah I think that was the problem. I'd say the tangling has dropped at least 50 percent.