PDA

View Full Version : Protecting hair on holidays

Tearna-Maree
February 2nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Hey everyone, I am going to Hawaii in March and I am very worried about protecting my hair as I am growing out past damage from blonde box dying, highlighting and heat damage mechanical damage etc my hair is very temperamental due to this.. It will be warm in Hawaii with lots of sun and one outside, plus sunbaking and swimming in the ocean and pools etc I really want to grow my hair and would like some guidance when it comes to holidays, also will a 9 hour flight cause any problems?! I heard the air is drying.

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Quite a few threads on this if you run an advanced search. Consider a UV Buff or two to cover your hair - dyed hair is more vulnerable to UV damage than virgin hair.

ErinLeigh
February 2nd, 2014, 06:08 PM
When i went on vacation with damaged hair i oiled mine. It helped me from getting wind and sea tangling.
I read some oils have a natural UVprotectant in them so it could help.
not the greatest link but, here is one..googling around may find something better. (i do not agree with their statement coconut does not clog pores so who knows how much of this is true)
http://www.naturalnews.com/033261_natural_sunscreen_UV_exposure.html

spirals
February 2nd, 2014, 06:41 PM
There are some products with UV protection. I think Tresemme makes something. You'll probably have a better time at a beauty supply. I'd say spray on some protectant, oil over that, and braid.n

hypersensitive
February 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM
I would say expect at least some damage. Salted water+sun+sand is the worst for hair. Be sure to really really pamper it before your trip and also when you come back home.

Tearna-Maree
February 3rd, 2014, 01:44 AM
Thankyou so much. Would you recommend getting a trim before or after my trip? I wa thinking after to remove the damage?

Johannah
February 3rd, 2014, 01:57 AM
I'd say try to wear it up (less sand etc.). In summer I'm using a spray with UV protection in it and conditioner with UV protection as well. I won't trim before you go, but after (if it's necessary).