PDA

View Full Version : Oil that stays slippery when wet?

Tangle or Curl?
February 2nd, 2014, 05:06 PM
Hey guys,

Recently I have noticed it is a lot easier to detangle my hair when it is dry and oiled. However every oil I have tried so far causes my hair to turn into a matted wad when I try to wash it. I wash daily because I exercise a lot and my scalp sweats. Ideally I would like something that I can put on wet hair before styling curls to air dry and avoid frizz/be slippery enough to help avoid tangles.

So far I've had the most luck with peanut oil since it actually bonds to the keratin in hair, but now I think it may actually be adding to the stickiness. I think I have also tried olive oil without much luck. And castor was just a horrid greasy mess.

Madora
February 2nd, 2014, 05:24 PM
I use mineral oil (Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil with no additives) for detangling (4 drops). Works great, washes out easily. Helps combat frizzies.

I don't know if it would work on wet hair (I only use it on damp hair). Don't know how it would work as a styling agent. It is very lightweight and leaves no after scent.

G1ll
February 2nd, 2014, 05:36 PM
I don't know how well coconut oil would do for de tangling, but when I wash it out of my hair it feels smooth and conditioning.

earthnut
February 2nd, 2014, 06:28 PM
Hot water will help with giving oil more slip.

arr
February 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
I agree with Madora about using mineral oil. I actually use it on wet hair with great results. 3 drops makes my hair soft, shiny and easy to detangle.

Tangle or Curl?
February 3rd, 2014, 12:07 AM
Interesting. I've never tried mineral oil. I wonder how it reacts with cones (which I keep reverting to for much needed slip).

Thanks guys.

Tangle or Curl?
February 3rd, 2014, 05:07 PM
So, I think I might have had the wrong idea of the cause behind the tangly rat's nest that has been my hair lately. I had bought a conditioner that was very similar to the one that I was using before not realizing it had protein in it. Holy smokes my hair was not happy! I recently scrapped it and went back to the old stuff, and tried peanut oil last night because I just could not detangle it without breakage otherwise before bed. This morning when I showered everything was a slippery as could be. Dispite the peanut oil! So I decided to add a little to my wet ends before styling and I was impressed at how much slip it gave me as I combed it through my hair.

I'm kind of mad now though. I did a major trim two weeks ago and my ends are now velcorier than they have ever been!! They were soooo nice before. I bet I could have gone a good two/three months with slippery awesome hair if it hadn't been for that #$%^ing conditioner.and since I just trimmed I really don't want to now :( Oh well, at least the oil is working now.

ErinLeigh
February 4th, 2014, 03:01 AM
I know how you feel. I have cut what later turned out to be buildup, dryness or too much protein stiffness in the past myself. :/
I guess that's why LHC has the clarify/chelate and the 2 week wait suggestions.

Tangle or Curl?
February 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah. I think I will try waiting, but from my investigation last night it looks like the buildup has already done its damage. It's actually folded my ends at right angles, creating thinned creases that grab each other into knots :( There is just no un-doing that

YamaMaya
February 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Olive oil gives nice slip, as does coconut oil.

ErinLeigh
February 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Yeah. I think I will try waiting, but from my investigation last night it looks like the buildup has already done its damage. It's actually folded my ends at right angles, creating thinned creases that grab each other into knots :( There is just no un-doing that

I posted pics of my hair doing that. Having major 90 degree angle bends. I cut.
But what saved the rest was getting my moisture/protein levels balanced.

I clarified/chelates then did some overnight olive oil soaks and washed them out with SMTs. It helped more than I can say. The before and after pics have a very noticible difference.
Before the cut and the treatments I could not get a comb thru my hair. That's why I started the olive oil. It gave hair great slip. On damp hair I could glide the comb right thru with the olive.

I prefer avocado now...but olive still runs high for slip for me.

Do you do the LOC method? It helps also hold that moisture in. I dont do that but somethkng kind of similar... I tried mixing a leave in conditioner with jojoba and grapeseed oil and water in a mister and now use it for a detangle as well as something to lock in moisture. It helped a lot

woodswanderer
February 4th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Tried Bon Jovi? I think I heard it's slippery when wet...:cheese::laugh:

YamaMaya
February 11th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Tried Bon Jovi? I think I heard it's slippery when wet...:cheese::laugh:

Nice one ;)

afu
February 11th, 2014, 04:28 PM
That sounds like too much protein to me. I always find that sweet almond oil gives the best slip for me. Not oil related, but I've recently been using herbal essence originals (the rosehip one) conditioner after years of no cones and my hair suddenly had so much slip it won't stay in any updo more than a couple of hours!