PDA

View Full Version : Traction alopecia and braids

ButtoningGenie
February 2nd, 2014, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone! I've been a long-time lurker on the forum and I've finally gathered the courage to make my first post :)

I have quite thin hair (ponytail circumference is around 2 inches), and I think I have a case of traction alopecia from wearing my hair in a ponytail in the same spot for years. I have a pretty noticeable balding spot around the crown of my head. I find the only way I can really hide it is by continuing to wear my hair up in a ponytail, it's an evil cycle!

I have thin hair in general, so I've been hesitant to wear it in buns or braids be cause I feel like those styles only show off how thin my hair is. But I've come to the conclusion that thin braids and little buns are worth not having bald spots. However, when I do braid my hair I still feel like it's pulling at the scalp. Even when the braid seems loose, when I put my hand into my hair under the braid I feel that a lot of hairs are pulled tight. Is this normal for a braid? I just don't want to start creating more bald spots.

thanks to anyone who can help!

Madora
February 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
If you have traction alopecia issues on your crown, then I'd stay away from anything that puts any kind of pressure on your strands. This includes braids and buns. Continuing with ponytailing will only lead to really serious repercussions.

woolyleprechaun
February 2nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Its a difficult one, I'll grant you that. I've lost a lot of thickness over recent years, and also have problems with traction alopecia.
Is there any way you can wear your hair down sometimes? Even changing where you place your ponytail can help. All I can say is try not to pull too tight, alternate your style often and try not to ponytail- I know its not easy. I recently chopped a fringe in to disguise the worst of my traction alopecia and wonky hairline, but I know that's not for everyone.

ButtoningGenie
February 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your opinions guys! I guess I've been thinking that putting my hair up will help it be healthier, but see how keeping it down would be better for me and my personal hair issues. Lately I've been putting it in a loose low ponytail for school, and I let my hair down once I get home. I used to wear a higher pony, so I though putting it much lower (around the nape of my neck) would help. But it makes sense that any kind of pressure at the scalp will only cause further damage. I guess I'll just have to get used to having my scalp exposed more often!

G1ll
February 2nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
If you dont feel comfortable with different hairstyles, try alternating where you put your pony tail. Also, maybe start massaging your scalp? That will help increase blood flow which will help with hair growth/thickness. Hope this helps!

walterSCAN
February 2nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Not sure exactly where the thinning is on your crown, but do you have any interest in head scarves or those really, really wide headbands? (Think hippies/ the ones that were popular in the 60s) I agree that your best bet right now is to keep your hair down to keep the pressure off your follicles and give them time to recover, and maybe a cute scarf could help keep you from feeling self conscious. If the thin spot is further back, you could try the kerchief style with the scarf folded into a triangle and the middle point down the back of your head.

These are the types of things I'm thinking of. (https://www.google.com/search?q=wide+scarf+headband&client=firefox-a&hs=yRh&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=onruUr-OINGOrQH_soGwDw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg)

ravenreed
February 2nd, 2014, 11:59 AM
I have the same problem with pulling. I redo a braid or bun several times until it is comfortable. Sometimes I give up and wear it loose. You don't mention how long your hair is, but I wore mine loose until I was at waist. I would suggest consulting a doctor to make sure that it is traction alopecia that you are dealing with and not some other medical condition causing your thinning hair. Medications can cause thinning, as can hypothyroidism and several other conditions.

ButtoningGenie
February 2nd, 2014, 06:11 PM
I'll definitely look into getting one of those headbands, walterSCAN! The thin areas are more towards the back of my head, but I think a big headband would keep my hair more in place to cover my scalp spots while it's down. I might keep doing a low pony for the walk to school to keep my hair from flying around in the wind, though.

My hair is about three inches past my shoulders, ravenreed. I'll start leaving it down more and see how that helps. I've talked to many different doctors about this with no really conclusive results. I had a scalp biopsy and many blood tests (and allergy tests) done, a dermatologist said that androgenetic alopecia was possible but she didn't say anything concrete. According to my blood tests I don't have any thyroid problems, but lately I've been thinking about getting my iron levels checked to see if that has something to do with it. My hair has gotten thinner overall, but mostly where I normally put my ponytail. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an underlying health problem, but I'm sure the ponytail hasn't been helping the spots that are especially bad.