PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had short hair?

thistledown
February 2nd, 2014, 01:46 AM
Hi guys :)
I'm just curious, have you ever had short hair? As an adult I guess I mean? I've never had short hair in my adult life (from about 8 actually..) and it seems like I've missed some kind of right of passage or something LOL Everyone says 'it'll grow back!' and yeah I know it will, but it'll take a while and what if I hate it? On the other side I'll be disappointed if I reach mid 30's and I've never had short hair. Then there's the maintenance issue too, I've never really styled my hair, just stick it in a braid and go, but the kinds of styles I like need styling to look right and I'm not sure it just wouldn't end up a mess cause I couldn't be bothered :o
I also feel like I am my hair sometimes...I'm not sure how I'd feel on a bad day when the only good thing I can think of is my hair. But maybe it'd be good to learn not to lean so heavily on hair as my identity?
Here are some pics of the kind of short hair I love:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/350014202260301066/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/350014202260301039/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/350014202260301020/

I kind of wish I'd done my experimenting as a teenager :rolleyes:
Vanessa

Aderyn
February 2nd, 2014, 02:31 AM
The last time I had short hair was when I was 12 or 13 and it was just past shoulder length (cut back from somewhere between APL and BSL). Don't miss it at all. Since then, it's been hovering around BSL until last year when I decided I wanted to grow it out. At times I wonder how things would have went if I had started out with barely any hair and adopted much better methods in regards to caring for my hair and that sort of right of passage, though I figure if I had cut my hair short I would be wondering how things would have went if I didn't cut my hair. I still wonder from time to time what would have happened if I didn't have my hair cut when I was 12/13.

I think we are all taken in a bit by our vanity, of which I understand. I would be devastated if my hair was cut back to shoulder length now, moreso than I was in the past. Kind of irks me a bit, since I rationally realize that I shouldn't be so emotionally invested my hair, though it's hard to avoid when it's something you realize you've been working on years to grow out, with the patience and dedication put into it.

Avenie
February 2nd, 2014, 02:32 AM
They are not short hair!

You could cut to those lengths and then grow back easily - you'd just grow it, no layers or shapes to worry about. Slowly, sure, but you wouldn't have the remnants of a style hanging about.

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 02:37 AM
What do you call short? If short is APL, I've had short hair, but I don't consider that as actually short.

tigereye
February 2nd, 2014, 02:57 AM
Short to me is APL and above.
The shortest I've been is MBL and it's been that way since I was four, so no I've never been short. MBL was way too short for me, not because of how it looked or how I felt about cutting back, but because of how irritated I got with it. My hair is so thick that none of my regular buns worked for a good year, and because of that, my hair got in the way constantly.
I would never cut my hair any shorter than waist now, for the simple reason that none of my buns work at shorter lengths. Perhaps I am too emotionally invested, but I'm not invested enough to bother with styling it down every day, as I would probably have to at shoulder (which is very short to me).

cdonald2
February 2nd, 2014, 03:09 AM
my hair is short and I HATE IT I WANT IT TO GROOOOOOOOWWWW D:

lazuliblue
February 2nd, 2014, 04:09 AM
Short to me is pixie to chin length! And yes I have had short hair, I had a pixie for about a year. I am very glad to have had one because I was able to go a little crazy and dye it all sorts of colours! At one point the back of my hair just have only been half an inch long. I don't think I'll ever cut it short again though, I'm far too impatient when it comes to growing my hair, even though it grows pretty quickly.

höpönasu
February 2nd, 2014, 04:11 AM
My shortest was like 1" boy cut hair with chin length side bangs. I liked it but I couldn't style it so I let it go. I think I was 12ish when I had it cut.

SleepyTangles
February 2nd, 2014, 04:13 AM
I had a pixie for ten year, alias all my childhood. Not happening again anytime soon :p
It was cute, though! But ten years is too much for everything.

Audhumla
February 2nd, 2014, 04:39 AM
I had chin length hair 2 1/2 years ago.
I don't know, it was nice in some ways but when it gets windy . .you can't do aaaanything about that. My hair is pretty fine and I felt like I constantly looked like a disgruntled poodle with my hair in a huge pompom.
It probably wasn't that bad but for me at least I had to damage my hair and straightened and blow dry it every other day to have hair that I felt comfortable with and I think that thinned my hair out a little from all the tugging and products on my scalp as well as high heat near my scalp.
I'm nearly at hip now and personally I don't think I'd ever cut my hair short again because all those middle stages are so very painful and awkward-looking for me.
There are a few fake bob hairstyle ideas around. Maybe you could try them out?

arr
February 2nd, 2014, 05:31 AM
Ive had shoulder length hair quite a bit during my adult years. I really like it actually. I can experiment more without worrying about damage, and i look younger with short hair. My pattern through life has been grow long, then cut short. What i really hate is all the in between stages until i get to waist. Looking back at pictures though, i realize I've spent more time with long hair than short hair and that at heart I'm a long haired person. After a while of having short hair, i always seem to want to grow it long again. Then i have to go through all the stages again. But personally I've never regretted cutting it short if it was a good haircut. It was fun to experiment, have a fresh look.

Night_Kitten
February 2nd, 2014, 05:45 AM
I had short hair in the beginning of my adult life, lol :)
When I was 17 I cut my hair into a really short pixie
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3478&d=1364553317
Kept it more or less this length for about a year, then grew it to a chin-length bob...
Eventually I realized I like the look of long hair better (and having to mess with it every morning to make it look nice really got on my nerves), so started growing it out at 21...

A short style can be really cute and pretty, but be sure you're up to styling it EVERY SINGLE MORNING - it NEEDS product or heat-styling to look nice and cute, otherwise it looks like a mess with bits and pieces sticking every which way...

Monkshood
February 2nd, 2014, 06:02 AM
I've actually never had hair longer than shoulder length before I started growing three years ago. I got my first pixie when I was eight year-old (on my own volition) and I routinely buzzed my hair in my teens. I didn't "get" long hair back then, it was too proper for my taste, and I had no interest in hair care or styling. I'm really loving my long hair these days, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my pixie sometimes!

Sofialu
February 2nd, 2014, 06:13 AM
I've been back and forth with growing and cutting my hair most of my life. I've never bothered about it until now. When I was 23 and about to give birth to my first child I chopped my hair from just above shoulder length in to a pixie cut as I thought the baby would take up so much of my time I didn't want to have to do my hair. I never noticed how quickly it grew but 2 and a half years later I was expecting baby number two and it was APL. I left it long whilst I had my 2nd baby as my hair is easiest either super short or APL and longer. I must have got bored of it at some point as I had a choppy bob cut and when my husband proposed in November 2012 I decided to grow it for my wedding in May 2013. It was just above shoulder length in October 2012 and for my wedding it was about an inch off APL. It's had a chop at the hairdresser between then and now but its nearing BSL and I decided now I'm going to grow it to WL so no more short chops for me for the time being. I'm 30 now and in 7 years I've gone from pixie to APL and bob to APL with trims in between so really it doesn't take that long to grow if you do go for the chop.

Sofialu
February 2nd, 2014, 06:18 AM
Ive had shoulder length hair quite a bit during my adult years. I really like it actually. I can experiment more without worrying about damage, and i look younger with short hair. My pattern through life has been grow long, then cut short. What i really hate is all the in between stages until i get to waist. Looking back at pictures though, i realize I've spent more time with long hair than short hair and that at heart I'm a long haired person. After a while of having short hair, i always seem to want to grow it long again. Then i have to go through all the stages again. But personally I've never regretted cutting it short if it was a good haircut. It was fun to experiment, have a fresh look.

This is how I feel, I've never regretted a chop and have changed my length back and forth when fancying a change. But because I've never got my hair super long before getting the scissors out its never been a big deal. Now I'm wanting to grow it to waist length, maybe even hip I wouldn't cut it on a whim now (due to how long it'd take to get back to WL) I'd have to really loathe it to cut it shorter again at the moment.

Sofialu
February 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM

This is how I feel, I've never regretted a chop and have changed my length back and forth when fancying a change. But because I've never got my hair super long before getting the scissors out its never been a big deal. Now I'm wanting to grow it to waist length, maybe even hip I wouldn't cut it on a whim now (due to how long it'd take to get back to WL) I'd have to really loathe it to cut it shorter again at the moment.

Lyv
February 2nd, 2014, 06:29 AM
I have a pixie now and I've been growing and cutting back to bobs since I was 11 or so.

woodswanderer
February 2nd, 2014, 06:31 AM
My one "short" cut in life was to BSL when I was 16. Otherwise, my hair has always been at least past waist, probably since I was around 5.

XcaliburGirl
February 2nd, 2014, 06:33 AM
I'm just curious, have you ever had short hair? As an adult I guess I mean? I've never had short hair in my adult life (from about 8 actually..) and it seems like I've missed some kind of right of passage or something LOL Everyone says 'it'll grow back!' and yeah I know it will, but it'll take a while and what if I hate it? On the other side I'll be disappointed if I reach mid 30's and I've never had short hair. Then there's the maintenance issue too, I've never really styled my hair, just stick it in a braid and go, but the kinds of styles I like need styling to look right and I'm not sure it just wouldn't end up a mess cause I couldn't be bothered :o
I also feel like I am my hair sometimes...I'm not sure how I'd feel on a bad day when the only good thing I can think of is my hair. But maybe it'd be good to learn not to lean so heavily on hair as my identity?

Vanessa

This is exactly how I felt back in 2009. So, I chopped my TBL hair to chin length. I kept it for a few months without regrets and soon let it start growing again. During that time I joined LHC. However, I kept seeing members who had grown out from a pixie cut and I started wondering if maybe I would have liked a pixie cut. I couldn't know for sure without trying it. So, I chopped to a pixie in 2011. I have mixed feelings about it, but I don't exactly regret it. I'm glad I tried it, but it didn't look that great. Short hair was too much up-keep and styling for me. I just feel more at home with long hair. Now I'm at BSLish after 2.5 years.

Now, I still can't say that I've ever shaved my head bald. Though, I feel confident that that's not going to bother me the way that it bothered me that I had never tried short hair.

My recommendation if you end up trying shorter hair for the sake of having tried it, go the shortest you think you need to feel satisfied about it. You can then experience all the lengths in between as you grow out (unless you really love it and decide to keep it). That way, you won't be stuck going over the same territory like me. If you will be satisfied with trying shoulder length, so much the better, since that will be easier to grow long again.

I don't know that it's completely necessary to try short hair. I did it myself, but sometimes I think these "rite of passage" things are overrated. Make sure you are the one that wants to experiment, not that you feel pressured by others that think you should.

jacqueline101
February 2nd, 2014, 06:43 AM
I had a shag at age 25: I did enjoy it and that was in part to needing a major change. That was the change I was needing.

embee
February 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
Yes, I've had short hair.

1) A sort of modified "boy cut" and it looked poor. It was a pain to keep up, needed washing once or twice a day (greasies) and constant trims which I could not afford nor could I do at home.
2)I also had a poodle style - a horrible short perm which spooked me every time I saw myself in the mirror...

My hair is thin, straight, flat, and stringy. Neither poodle nor boy cut worked well *at all*. The upkeep was mindboggling.

Scarlet_Heart
February 2nd, 2014, 07:44 AM
The shortest my hair ever was was chin length. That's the absolute shortest I'd ever go. I have a very oblong face and know that a pixie would look horrible on me.

neko_kawaii
February 2nd, 2014, 08:00 AM

Vanessa

As an adult I have had every length from shaved to past TBL and cut from waist length to a pixie twice. I never felt that I didn't look good in my hair cut, thought the one time I went to have a pixie trimmed back to its original shape I was unhappy with the results because they were nothing like the shape I'd wanted but that was my fault for going to a random stylist and not providing a picture, just assuming that she could "trim" my pixie. So I simply didn't think about it. Easy for me to do because I am generally unconcerned about my appearance.

A dramatic hair cut takes some getting used to. You look different. I recently got new frames. I really like my frames but for about a week there was a stranger in the mirror. Hair is the same way.

Super short styles start to look odd as they grow out and get shaggy. There is of course the mullet stage that so many growing out a pixie complain of.

Daily maintenance I suppose depends on if you are asking your hair to do something it doesn't naturally want to do. You can wash and go with any style, as long as you are willing to let your hair do its thing. Styling is not necessary unless you are trying to change your hair to obtain a specific look.

The problem I have with short hair styles is until a certain length it takes quite a bit of work to get them out of my face and off my neck. Being able to put my hair in a braid or bun and go really suites me. Combine that with pure lazy and my hair keeps getting longer.

It is never too late in your life to try out another style and if you don't like it, it will grow back.

~Abi~
February 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
I had long hair throughout my childhood and teen years, varying between BSL and waist. At 18 I cut it to shoulder length, with some shorter layers. It's been there since, the shortest being a bob that ended just barely above my shoulders. For me, my hair rarely needed any styling, I'd wash it at night, let it air dry, and that was it. On special occasions I would straighten it. It was easy to throw up into a ponytail, but that was just about the only updo I could do with it. I miss braiding my hair, the long braids I could wrap around my head milk-maid style. So now I'm starting to grow it out. Cutting it was fun, and -looking back now- much needed to get rid of unhealthy hair. But I wish that, at a minimum, I'd started growing it back sooner. Now I'm all impatient and my hair isn't growing fast enough for my liking! lol

G1ll
February 2nd, 2014, 08:22 AM
The last time that I considered my hair to be short was when I was 13. My best friend had cut her hair up to her shoulders and it looked really good on her, so I decided to try it. Unfortunately, my hair is curly and I didn't know how to take care of it then. It looked like a giant frizz ball. Never had short hair since. However, I think some people on this website might consider my hair to be short now, as it's just passing BSL.

Madora
February 2nd, 2014, 08:41 AM
Yes, I had short hair (for me) in 2000 (not by choice):

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/img091copy.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/img091copy.jpg.html)

The only thing good about short hair is that its easy to wash.

jupiterinleo
February 2nd, 2014, 08:49 AM
The shortest hair I've had as an adult was when it was just above my shoulders at the end of high school. I came to hate it! All it did was poof out and frizz. I had nice waves, though.

Mai Gloeckchen
February 2nd, 2014, 09:10 AM
The hairstyles on the pinterest-pics are not really short in my eyes. Short when you are used to the LHC of course but in daily life: no, just inbetween long and short.

I had short hair as a kid (looked like a boy) and let it grow as a teenager till almost hiplength when I quit school. As I started my new life at the university I cut them to APL/BSL and got various forms of highlights and lowlights. I felt pretty good with that for aboput 3 years. It was maybe neccessary for me to have this form of hairstyle: up to date (it was) and with a lot of layers. It was flattering and I would do it again if I ever become bored of "only long" hair. But that seems not to happen. ;) After that 3 years of colour experiments and shorter hair I grew out the dye and started going for length again. It feels munch more like myself to be the one with ther eally long hair. :)

Heavy Raindrops
February 2nd, 2014, 01:03 PM
About shoulder length back when I was 17/18 years old. :)

NoRush
February 2nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
I chopped off to chin three years ago and while I don't regret it, it had to be done as I was sick and tired of having an uber short random layer about SL, I don't think I'll ever go that short again simply because my hair doesn't like to be full and fluffy and light, it sticks to my head like glue and that on shorties is no good, so I'm better off as a long hair. Did I miss my length? No, but I went in to have the cut at a moment when I had had enough of using my hair as a shield, I was closing a chapter of my life, so it was quite therapeutic for me, very liberating.

:)

RapunzelKat
February 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
I had a shag at age 25: I did enjoy it and that was in part to needing a major change. That was the change I was needing.

I had a shag too (short, heavily layered bob) I had mine for a while in college. It was cute and a lot of fun - I did a lot of different colors, and I had a great stylist who was able to give it a slightly different shape and look each time.

Disadvantages? Couldn't put it up, expensive to maintain, roots showing in between...
I have straight hair, so mine didn't require a lot of heat styling, but it did look its best when blow dried with a round brush. Eventually I got tired of the expense and salon time, so I just let it grow out.

Mine wasn't too bad to grow out because it was well cut, but I could only wear it in a half up for about 6 months :p And there was plenty of bleach damage that eventually had to be cut out.

So anyway, I've always been glad I did it :D But if you want to try it, there are definitely both advantages and disadvantages that you need to consider :)

ravenreed
February 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
I had very short hair in my teen years. I haven't gone quite that short since. I go from long to short to long as the whim takes me. I think it was around chin in my late 20's. In my 30's I started actively growing long hair, and now in my 40's, I think I have reached my limit. I don't know if I will ever go short again, but I don't rule it out.

tee11
February 2nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
I got a pixie cut when I was 17 and kept it for about a year and a half. I loved it at the time. It was really quick to wash and style, and I liked the look of short hair back then. My hair is currently waist-length... I just think longer hair looks nicer on me.

BlueMajorelle
February 2nd, 2014, 03:08 PM
i did a big chop in 2011 to just below my chin.

I liked how it looked, but I hated that I could not put it up at all-- even into a half pony.

meteor
February 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Only when I was a kid, and I didn't like it (it felt inauthentic), even though others did.
I grew it out very quickly.

NuclearApple
February 2nd, 2014, 03:26 PM
I used to have a bob with fringe from birth (not actually birth but really close XD) to 12 years old, which i hated and regretted but my mom wouldn't listen to me...so if you consider armpit short, well yes i had short hair, and a boyish cut too :I I really like those cuts like miley cyrus has now, but i'd never cut my hair into those ones since it would be a real pain growing it out, no patience here :)
I personally consider short hair from buzz to chin length, medium shoulder and long everything past armpit.
I see your hair is quite long! :D why don't you try some wigs just to see if they suites you and you like them? But think twice before doing anything c:

bibijay
February 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM
I had short hair aged about 8 to 10, I looked like a boy. Then in my late 20s a perm disaster left me no choice but to cut to pixie crop. A pixie I was not! Being a tall girl with big bones and a large nose. Short hair looks awful on me!
I have a friend with a beautiful steel grey pixie, she looks fab, but she has the delicate features and bone structure to carry it off.
I love the luxuriant feeling of long hair, but have never managed to get it beyond bra strap, boo hoo. Am not beaten yet though (at 52)!

earthnut
February 2nd, 2014, 05:36 PM
I've had my hair every length between 1/2" and waist length (my terminal length). I shaved my head to 1" when I was 20, previously having been at waist. I never styled my hair, just let it do what it would. Though, my wurly hair being what it is, I found it quite unruly between 3" and ponytail length. :P Instead of styling, I wore a lot of headbands, clips, and other hair accessories. My husband loved the 1" hair, but I didn't like the in-between lengths enough that I don't know if I'll do it again. (I did do it twice though...) I'm glad I did it at least once though, just to experience it! :)

It's never too late to experiment! There's no time limit. :)

mariakatija
February 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM
I had a chin length bob when I was 15. I regretted it immediately.

CurlyCap
February 2nd, 2014, 06:32 PM
I was a lot like you. Had long hair all my life and felt myself itching for short hair when I hit my mid-20s. I thought about it for a LONG time. So much so that my friends got irritated with me constantly talking about cutting my hair.

It took two years to decide, but when I decided I was really at peace with the idea of it taking years to grow my hair back. I gave myself 10 years after I cut it to grow back. Then I went and got a pixie!

Since I was prepared for everything and it wasn't an impulse cut, I really enjoyed it. Washing was so quick. It dried effortlessly. Products were only needed for styling...not for babying lengths so they wouldn't split or tangle.

It was fun.

And when I was done I started the growing out process. It was painful and irritating, but I knew what was coming and so it wasn't too bad. And now 3.5 years after starting to grow out again, I'm at hip. So not a bad waiting time.

Whatever you decide, make sure you're comfortable with your decision. It's your hair. You have to enjoy it!

CurlyCap
February 2nd, 2014, 06:32 PM
I was a lot like you. Had long hair all my life and felt myself itching for short hair when I hit my mid-20s. I thought about it for a LONG time. So much so that my friends got irritated with me constantly talking about cutting my hair.

It took two years to decide, but when I decided I was really at peace with the idea of it taking years to grow my hair back. I gave myself 10 years after I cut it to grow back. Then I went and got a pixie!

Since I was prepared for everything and it wasn't an impulse cut, I really enjoyed it. Washing was so quick. It dried effortlessly. Products were only needed for styling...not for babying lengths so they wouldn't split or tangle.

It was fun.

And when I was done I started the growing out process. It was painful and irritating, but I knew what was coming and so it wasn't too bad. And now 3.5 years after starting to grow out again, I'm at hip. So not a bad waiting time.

Whatever you decide, make sure you're comfortable with your decision. It's your hair. You have to enjoy it!

sumidha
February 2nd, 2014, 06:34 PM
I shaved my head when I was 18 and enjoyed short hair thoroughly. Unfortunately my hair looks good really short, or really long, but pretty awful in between... and I'm too lazy to maintain a short cut, so here we are. :)

Vampyria
February 2nd, 2014, 06:35 PM
The shortest was between shoulder and CBL (I had pixie as a kid though). Now I have the length that's on the second picture you posted. I liked it better a bit shorter, I didn't have to style or anything and it didn't get in the way, and now it looks kind of messy with my weird not well defined waves and flyaways and new growth (slightly better when blow dried).

I wouldn't really call that short, probably because I haven't had hair longer than that for at least 2 years, and it doesn't feel that short any more. I don't have a face for really short hair, so I'm not even tempted to go there. I cut mine from MBL-waist length due to damage and thin ends, but not all at once, it would probably be to big of a shock.

Anyuta
February 2nd, 2014, 06:55 PM
Yes, me, right now, for the first time. I have always had BSL length hair but due to damage that wasn't letting my hair grow, I had to chop it all the way up. I still can't get used to it and patiently waiting for it to grow. It's a huge challenge to decide how to style it every morning, it needs constant washing and I am oiling it often too, it becomes stringy and basically, home only style. But I get all the air in and wait... After all I should be getting rewarding results hopefully and I am so glad I found this forum and chafed my hair routine for the better :D

MeAndTheMaz
February 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM
I've had "long" hair ever since I had control over it. When my parents gave up making me get it cut (early middle school 12-13)?) was that was the end of short hair for me. It's been shoulder length or so ever since. I know that's hardly long around here, but for a man, it kind of is.

thistledown
February 2nd, 2014, 10:42 PM
Lots of interesting opinions! Seems like the majority have had 'short' (I consider shoulder length short, I guess I compare to BCL LOL) hair at some point. The shortest I'd go is shoulder length, I'm not a pixie person I'm sure it wouldn't suit me.
I'm really on the fence about it: on the one hand I'm growing out dye (and hating it) and now would be the perfect time to chop to shoulder as I'm going to be tracking the length it takes the dye to grow out anyhow and I've been thinking about shoulder length for a few years now on the other hand I'm not 100% sure and I'm just about to go through a seriously stressful life change (back to school) so it's a really bad time to cut and then decide I hate it and my hair dresser tells me even the lengths are super healthy.........it's so easy just to 'sit on it' so to speak ;)
Thanks for all the opinions!
Vanessa

joflakes
February 3rd, 2014, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I had hair between pixie and chin length most of my adult life. :) I keep eyeing up Hayley Williams' cute really short bob recently and it is so pretty! I will not be tempted though!

Snorman
February 3rd, 2014, 03:40 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/6289_101488369117_4046718_n.jpg
That's probably the shortest I've ever had.
And I hated it. Stupid hairdresser in Soho, London who thought "Nothing on the lengths, just a bit more rough and funky!" meant "take off 15 cm and make it really neat".
I'm not sayin the hairstyle looks awful, it's just that I'm not that person... :/

ETA; Oh, And I'm the redhead i the front :P Before the cut I had slightly longer than collar bone.

Sammich
February 3rd, 2014, 04:01 AM
Yes, tis horribly short at the moment. Ahh, does not suit my round face at all! So I have hair on top of that hair now. :cool:

Shortest I've had is basically a buzz cut, and that was the WORST. (I wore wigs over it, phew.)

browneyedsusan
February 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
Yes.
I've had it as short as 1", and it's longer than ever now.
I liked it pixied --obviously, I wore various pixies for over 15 years!--and CBL+, but not in between. (I didn't like not being able to ponytail it.)

Do what you like. It grows out.
My experience was: Pixies are a breeze to style, but you'll need haircuts every 4 or 6 weeks to look good. You can also color the bejabbers out of a pixie, because the damage will be cut off pretty quick. Other women will envy and admire you for having the cajones to go "so short". You'll get "Oh, I could NEVER do that!" (Shoot! You'd think they were losing an arm!) You will look confident and strong, yet still feminine--similar to how you look with your hair bunned up, except it's "up" all the time. It will dry in less than 10 minutes, and you can go from shower to door in less than 30. You won't need much shampoo, and zero conditioner. You can wash it with a bar of soap if you're camping. It will never tangle or get stuck in your lipstick.

You decide. There are pros and cons to everything. :)

soothsayer
May 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I've had pretty short hair. The shortest I've had is a 1 inch buzzcut, which I would only recommend to those with amazing bone structure. I had a pixie cut, which was easier to get along with. Judging from your definition of "short", I've had short hair all of my life except for about a year in middle school and a year in college when I first joined LHC. It really does grow back...as long as you don't think too much about it. A long of mid-century hairstyles are more achievable at just beyond shoulder length with layers, adding a lot of versatility.

ashke50
May 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I've never had shorter than around APL, and even that was shorter than I wanted (my hair breaks off if I wear it down all the time so it had to be trimmed shorter and shorter). I've never had any urge to go for a short cut - they can look lovely but they are just not me.

queenovnight
May 10th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I had a bit above shoulder length at one point in time. I didn't care about my hair then, but when I look back at photos.. ugh. I wanna cringe. Just didn't suit me.

sachaa
May 11th, 2014, 08:02 AM
I've had my hair to chin. It looked super nice and made me very confident, but i like longer hair better
Plus, i workout a lot and it was getting in the way and i couldn't tie it

elsieivy
May 11th, 2014, 07:51 PM
I had my hair in a short wedge cut until I was seven or eight. (It wasn't very flattering on me but my mom liked it.) I've never had my hair that short since. I recently have it at APL which is pretty short for me. If I have bun waves or braid waves in it it almost looks shoulder length.

MadeiraD
May 11th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I've had very short hair, pixies and bobs galore when I was younger. I'm pretty well over it now.

YvetteVarie
May 12th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I have had my head shaved bald quite a number of times when I was under 12. The shortest my hair has been as an adult was when I big chopped to 1'' 2 years ago. I have recently been feeling like cutting my hair really short again, but I will wait for a while and see if the urge passes

mira-chan
May 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I had pixie length hair till I was 6 because I refused to comb it or let it be combed. Haven't had hair that short since. I have cut it back to waist when I was 18. Re-grew from there.

HintOfMint
May 14th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I relate to thistledown in that sometimes I want to have had super short hair before I hit 30. I had short hair (above chin length) in high school, and collarbone length for the great chop of 2008, but I kind of want to see myself with short hair now that I've grown into my features (late bloomer!).

But I know I won't do it again because I love my hair too much, and the growing out is guaranteed to be a pain-in-the-you-know-what.