PDA

View Full Version : would like personal hair advice

thatjengirl1
February 2nd, 2014, 12:10 AM
hello! ive got kind of alot going on with my hair and would love some Overall advice or tips to make my hair better. its a couple inches past waist. its got very long waves when I dont comb them out but overall straight hair. im 23 and my hair seems thinner. the amount of hair seems to be the same as its always been which is about thin to normal but on my scalp it seems I see more skin then I used to but I dont notice any hair falling out.
I dye my hair like once every 6 months, I s&D, I never blow dry or straighten. I wash about 3 times a week but my ends are still dry and scalp is greasy. I use "its a 10" leave in conditiioner that is supppsed to be good. I put oil on ends sometimes.i use a silk pillow case. a I never brush when its wet. also my hair splits soooo much! I s and d with good quality scissors. idk why every hair has to split. ill go through for hours and my hair will be smooth and nice then a couple weeks later every hair is split again! I treat my hair so much nicer than my friends and they have thick, silky nice hair and mine is overall dry and looks unhappy. plz help

im sure I should be eating better and drinking water but is there any vitamins I can take? any really good gentle shampoo and good conditioner u could recommend?

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 01:03 AM
Shampoo and conditioner is personal. I'm sure you can find some threads on this forum with some recommendations though.

You said you use oil sometimes. Ever tried oil as an actual leave-in (daily, or after you washed your hair to lock in the moisture)? Or a heavy oiling?

Maybe you could post a picture of your hair as well.

Panth
February 2nd, 2014, 05:22 AM
If you have waves but brush them out, perhaps try a curly girl or a modified curly girl method?

If you fear hairloss, the best way to monitor it is to monthly measure your ponytail circumference. That will give you some hard numbers and let you confirm/deny your fears.

If you are washing frequently but still get a greasy scalp, it is possible that you are over-washing. Look into stretching washes. Also look into more gentle ways of washing, e.g. sulphate-free or conditioner only. This may not fix the problem, but it's always worth trying. The actual brand of shampoo and conditioner is very variable and personal, depending on not just hair type but your wash routine, lifestyle, local climate, water type, etc. However, certain ingredients may be better than others.

I would most definitely not suggest taking supplements. Vitamins and minerals work with and against each other to help/hinder each other's absorption into the body. Random supplementing is at best futile and at worst can actively cause deficiencies and/or overdoses (sometime both at the same time!). It is far better to review your diet and improve it (lots of fruit and veg, reduce processed foods, etc.) plus make sure you get a reasonable amount of exercise, try to learn positive thought processes to reduce stress and anxiety, plus if you have any health problems actively manage and/or treat them to the best of your abilities (with the help of your doctor). If you fear that you have nutritional deficiencies, your doctor can test your blood for vitamin and mineral levels and then recommend treatments - this is by far the better way to do it, as preemptive supplementation based upon assumptions is liable to cause more harm. E.g. excess iron can cause hairloss, just as too little iron can.

dulce
February 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
I agree with Panth,there is no substitute for a good,nutritionally balanced diet..pills won't even come close.

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 12:56 PM
Your ends are several years old and they are colour treated, it may be they have little to no protective cuticle left and you need to trim more off (sorry). Proven beneficial ingredients for colour damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Curly Girl method all the way, do come and join us on the Facebook Wavy Hair Community. Do you wear your hair up with the ends tucked and protected most days? Are your scissors sharp and used for hair only?

Agree wholeheartedly that no supplement substitutes for a nutrient dense balanced wholefood diet - that is why they are called supplements. Hair and skin (scalp/ follicles) need way more than just vitamins: they need minerals, essential fatty acids, protein and enough healthy calories overall. You absolutely can do more harm than good upsetting the delicate balance - your health should be more important than your looks.

meteor
February 2nd, 2014, 02:02 PM
Double post, sorry!

meteor
February 2nd, 2014, 02:03 PM
Have you, by any chance, gone on a low-calorie or low-fat diet in the past 3 months or experienced increased stress? Splitting ends and thinning hair are often symptomatic of some underlying health condition or bad nutrition. No supplements can fully replicate fresh whole foods - due to limited bioavailability and absorption problems.

I would really recommend going to a family doctor for a regular blood-work analysis.

thatjengirl1
February 2nd, 2014, 04:10 PM
Have you, by any chance, gone on a low-calorie or low-fat diet in the past 3 months or experienced increased stress? Splitting ends and thinning hair are often symptomatic of some underlying health condition or bad nutrition. No supplements can fully replicate fresh whole foods - due to limited bioavailability and absorption problems.

I would really recommend going to a family doctor for a regular blood-work analysis.

im 23 and the last time I had.blood work analysis was when I was 19 and everythjng was normal. my life is moderate to severe stress and then accompany that with the fact that my body and nerves feel every emotion I ever have and my emotions are deep meaning im sensitive. I kind of thouggt maybe stress would cause this. im in counseling now. my hair could still grow back in right?

thatjengirl1
February 2nd, 2014, 04:15 PM
Your ends are several years old and they are colour treated, it may be they have little to no protective cuticle left and you need to trim more off (sorry). Proven beneficial ingredients for colour damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Curly Girl method all the way, do come and join us on the Facebook Wavy Hair Community. Do you wear your hair up with the ends tucked and protected most days? Are your scissors sharp and used for hair only?

Agree wholeheartedly that no supplement substitutes for a nutrient dense balanced wholefood diet - that is why they are called supplements. Hair and skin (scalp/ follicles) need way more than just vitamins: they need minerals, essential fatty acids, protein and enough healthy calories overall. You absolutely can do more harm than good upsetting the delicate balance - your health should be more important than your looks.

thanks for the info about the vitamins. I am trying to concieve currently and not sure if theres benefits to start taking the prenatals now.
I may try coconut oil again on my ends. I havent used that in a few years. thanks for just reminding me that my hair is just old. I cut it from waist to shoulder in july 2011, now it is a few inches from hip or a couple inches past my.waist. idk if thats fast or slow to people but Ive cut about an inch off two times and s &d the rest. yeah I need to quit dying it. no my ends are usually protected. at work I wear mostly ponytail. maybe I should try new hair styles. I guess my hairs long enough now

Madora
February 2nd, 2014, 04:17 PM
im 23 and the last time I had.blood work analysis was when I was 19 and everythjng was normal. my life is moderate to severe stress and then accompany that with the fact that my body and nerves feel every emotion I ever have and my emotions are deep meaning im sensitive. I kind of thouggt maybe stress would cause this. im in counseling now. my hair could still grow back in right?

Yes, your hair could still grow back healthy, providing you're willing to give it plenty of time and stay away from unfriendly hair practices. I would certainly have a blood panel done to be sure nothing is going on. If at all possible, steer clear of stressful situations as much as you can. Be sure to eat a well balanced diet as that plays a major part in keeping your hair healthy. Good luck!

thatjengirl1
February 2nd, 2014, 04:33 PM
Shampoo and conditioner is personal. I'm sure you can find some threads on this forum with some recommendations though.

You said you use oil sometimes. Ever tried oil as an actual leave-in (daily, or after you washed your hair to lock in the moisture)? Or a heavy oiling?

Maybe you could post a picture of your hair as well.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2myqa86.jpg
I know my hair tapers off real bad but ive got lots of hidden layers in there that go from apl to bsl so itll take a couple years to all grow out and look thicker

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 05:44 PM
thanks for the info about the vitamins. I am trying to concieve currently and not sure if theres benefits to start taking the prenatals now.
I may try coconut oil again on my ends. I havent used that in a few years. thanks for just reminding me that my hair is just old. I cut it from waist to shoulder in july 2011, now it is a few inches from hip or a couple inches past my.waist. idk if thats fast or slow to people but Ive cut about an inch off two times and s &d the rest. yeah I need to quit dying it. no my ends are usually protected. at work I wear mostly ponytail. maybe I should try new hair styles. I guess my hairs long enough now

Nutrient dense wholefood diet for stress management, fertility and healthy baby. Best ask your family doctor or ob-gyn about supplements in these circumstances not mostly unqualified people on a hair forum. Daily physical activity again for stress management, fertility and healthy baby unless medics advise otherwise.

Plenty of us here dye our hair, its just finding the right balance with care methods and products. Those with the healthiest hair tend to really baby it: lots of buns, oilings, super gentle detangling, no heat styling and so on. Regular ponytails can be pretty destructive, especially on already damaged or vulnerable hair - the band presses on one spot and the ends are exposed. The damage from ponytails was what brought me to NC!

thatjengirl1
February 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
Nutrient dense wholefood diet for stress management, fertility and healthy baby. Best ask your family doctor or ob-gyn about supplements in these circumstances not mostly unqualified people on a hair forum. Daily physical activity again for stress management, fertility and healthy baby unless medics advise otherwise.

Plenty of us here dye our hair, its just finding the right balance with care methods and products. Those with the healthiest hair tend to really baby it: lots of buns, oilings, super gentle detangling, no heat styling and so on. Regular ponytails can be pretty destructive, especially on already damaged or vulnerable hair - the band presses on one spot and the ends are exposed. The damage from ponytails was what brought me to NC!

thanks this was a very helpful response! i really think these tips will help make my hair get better and longer. thanks! so should I order hair sticks? most clips hurt my head and ponytail holders do seem damaging?

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM
thanks this was a very helpful response! i really think these tips will help make my hair get better and longer. thanks! so should I order hair sticks? most clips hurt my head and ponytail holders do seem damaging?

Spin Pins (or cheaper knock offs) are amazing, definitely try hair sticks and beak clips (I have some with tiny teeth from Claire's). Not sure what you mean by hurt your head, if that is down to overly tight styles or the weight of your hair (try two buns if so) or the clip pressing on the scalp.