PDA

View Full Version : Eyelash shedding?

thirstylocks
February 1st, 2014, 07:47 PM
Not sure if this is the right place. Hair shedding is one thing that has been discussed before, but I haven't found much on eyelash shedding.

Recently, my hair AND eyelashes have been shedding at a troubling rate. I lose 4-5 eyelashes per day. Is this something to be concerned about?? This has never happened to me before. What could be causing it? How could I prevent it? Should I trouble shoot eyelash shedding the same way as hair shedding? I'm really scared =/

Kaelee
February 1st, 2014, 07:56 PM
Are you noticing your eyelashes thinning at all? I'm not sure 4-5 per day (I'm guessing both eyes combined, not each eye) is all that unusual. (I actually tug my lashes gently to remove loose ones so that they don't shed and fall INTO my eye! Because that hurts. lol) I would see a doctor though, especially if you feel it's unusual and you are concerned.

angelfell
February 1st, 2014, 08:07 PM
That seems like a lot to be shedding per day since they grow so slowly.. but I'm not an expert. I do know, however, after I began saturating mine in coconut oil at night and in the morning again before putting on mascara (in addition to coating them in vaseline after coconut oil and before mascara), mine seemed thicker and longer. If the shedding of your eyelashes is natural and not caused by something else, this may help. I have had no problems with coconut oil/vaseline in the eyes from this, but I also wear contacts and can't even feel sand in my eyes when I'm wearing them. Unless the sand is under the contact, then OH GOSH

Nedertane
February 1st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Depending on whether this shed rate is "normal" (I would also like to verify if it's 4-5 in all per day, or 4-5 per eye per day, because those are fairly different situations), there could be a few reasons for this:

- Eye makeup/application/removal: Do you wear any eye makeup, if so, what? Eyeliner usually isn't bad, but sometimes if a mascara is too thick, it can be a bit of a "strain" on the lashes. Also, it's possible to be allergic to something in the formula (although, you'd probably be experiencing other symptoms such as itching eyes as well, but I'd say it's still a possibility). Further, even if the formulas are okay, if you're applying and/or removing the eye makeup aggressively, that can definitely pull lashes out faster.
- Eyelash curlers: Perhaps this is self-explanatory, but those things will always pull on your lashes to some extent, but it's worse if you aren't careful (ha, trying not to write with a bias here, because I consider eyelash curlers to be the devil).
- Diet/nutrition/some other sickness: This is kinda similar to why your hair might fall out. If you're not eating right/getting the right nutrients, or if you perhaps have some other illness, your body will "shut down" maintenance for something less essential, such as hair (or eyelash) growth.
- Stress: Okay, so we all know stress can make head hair fall out. But, I personally think that when I'm under greater stress, my eyelashes tend to shed more (it may just be in my head, though).
- Picking/pulling: I'm going to assume you aren't in the habit of picking or pulling your eyelashes (from what I understand, it's usually a nervous/stress thing). But if you are, I'd suggest trying to quit the habit. It's probably easy to understand why actually PULLING at the lashes would make them fall out more. So, it's probably not something you want to be in the habit of doing.*

* Just wanted to note that I do not wish to shame or pass judgment on anyone who DOES have this habit. We all have our "bad habits," and that's okay, so long as we try to control THEM, not the other way around. :)

thirstylocks
February 1st, 2014, 11:52 PM
It is 4-5 all together per day - but I'm worried because usually its only 1-2 lashes every few days. I never really paid that much attention to my lashes other than quickly putting on mascara in the morning, so I don't know if they are actually thinning (although my hair is). I've been using the same mascara and make up remover for a while and never had this problem. Does repeated application and removal of make up increase the rate at which your lashes get thin??

I don't ever pick my lashes. I never really even gave much thought about them until recently when I see all these lashes come out on the cotton ball when I remove makeup.

As for health - I have to go to the doc at some point and make sure I don't have any deficiencies.

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 01:18 AM
I don't know anything about this, but if you are really worried I'd go to a doctor. I mean - better safe than sorry, right?

SleepyTangles
February 2nd, 2014, 04:04 AM
Have you noticed if there is new growth along your lashline? Like small, stubby new lashes. In this case, maybe its just a coincidence: probably a lot of old eyelashed have finished they life cycle together!

If not... are you stressed or worried? Did you change mascara or any product you put along your lashes?

Edit: sorry, i missed the part in which you said that you're using the same mascara and make up remover.
My lashes really get thinner if I put mascara on them everyday, though :(.

Night_Kitten
February 2nd, 2014, 05:53 AM
If you notice increased shedding both with your hair and your eyelashes, there could be something going on, and I'd suggest going to a doctor and having your blood checked - it could be due to low vitamin levels or low iron...

DarleneH
February 2nd, 2014, 07:02 AM
...after I began saturating mine in coconut oil at night and in the morning again before putting on mascara (in addition to coating them in vaseline after coconut oil and before mascara), mine seemed thicker and longer....

This sounds even easier than the DIY serums I was going to recommend! Are you using the solid coconut oil or the liquid fractionated kind?

Here's one DIY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WM9QcX5DP0
Castor oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and spoolies.
She's using the solid coconut oil, and apparently letting the jar get warm enough that some melts she can pour off.
She also is using it on her brows (which I keep meaning to try and always forget...).

Another version is vitamin E oil + castor oil + aloe vera gel. I've been using this in a tiny cream sample jar I cleaned out. I just dip my finger in, rub on lashes, and any leftover on my finger gets rubbed into my hands. Because the jar is so tiny I go through it fast and then make a fresh batch.