PDA

View Full Version : How to make thin hair look thick overnight.

swearnsue
February 1st, 2014, 07:24 PM
My Avatar is how my hair looks every day. Very thin and fine, esp. after my most recent shed. I'm trying to embrace the thin hair and not hate it.

Last night I washed my hair and braided it damp like instructed by TorrinPaige in her video. So this morning I took a pic and it's below in my signature.

What a difference 4 braids make!

Just wanted to share, if you have thin hair and just need a little change you can braid your hair for a few days of pretending to have thick hair.

Not Lynn Merely
February 1st, 2014, 07:32 PM
Ooo, I may try this! Thank you!

truepeacenik
February 1st, 2014, 07:37 PM
Just braids? Or are they then rolled in some way?

Anyuta
February 1st, 2014, 07:42 PM
Looks awesome!! I used to do the same thing on my (once) long hair, I would roll it with those foam rollers and sleep overnight, that gives such a lift! But braids like that give even better results. Especially if you braid it really thin and let it dry out thoroughly then it quadruples the volume! Even if you do undo after that, it gives very full look. The problem with my hair was that it didn't last long and most of the volume was down the lengths, and nothing near the roots.

ProverbsGirl
February 1st, 2014, 07:44 PM
Wow! I'm gonna have to try that!

swearnsue
February 1st, 2014, 07:46 PM
Just braids? Or are they then rolled in some way?

I oil the tassels and then use an end paper and roll the ends on a medium sized sponge roller.

CurlyCap
February 1st, 2014, 07:51 PM
Fantastic job!

I love hearing about how people solve their hair issues. Today I spent 3 hours in the bathroom trying to deflate my hair so it looked like your siggy. One man's treasure....

Enjoy the fluffy hair!

swearnsue
February 1st, 2014, 07:51 PM
Looks awesome!! I used to do the same thing on my (once) long hair, I would roll it with those foam rollers and sleep overnight, that gives such a lift! But braids like that give even better results. Especially if you braid it really thin and let it dry out thoroughly then it quadruples the volume! Even if you do undo after that, it gives very full look. The problem with my hair was that it didn't last long and most of the volume was down the lengths, and nothing near the roots.

I was wondering about how to get more lift at the roots. I might try doing my braiding with my head upside down, my hair combed forward and then braid right from my scalp and outwards.

restless
February 1st, 2014, 08:49 PM
Quite a bit of volume youve got there :) It looks pretty!

How I get volume in my F/ii hair: every night just before bed and while my hair is still slightly damp after my shower I hold my head upside down and french braid it, starting at the nape and finishing it at the forehead. I then hang the braid over the pillow and go to sleep. It works great as it gives me plenty of volume that lasts through the day.

Edit: an extra plus is that it gives my natural waves a more uniform pattern. Othervise theyre all over the place, going from slight S-waves in the back to loose spirals in the front. Oh the joy of wavy hair.

DragonFlyPie
February 1st, 2014, 08:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnZZoE_6gXM

How about this one!

I would love to do this, but with thick, TBL hair, it would take me forever to do all that wrapping!!!
I think it looks awesome though - my dream hair, honestly. I've always been absolutely in love with gigantic afros.
Like this:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/265/a/7/afro_by_davidraphet-d5fiq0o.jpg

Maybe in another lifetime :)

CurlyCap
February 1st, 2014, 09:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnZZoE_6gXM

How about this one!

I would love to do this, but with thick, TBL hair, it would take me forever to do all that wrapping!!!
I think it looks awesome though - my dream hair, honestly. I've always been absolutely in love with gigantic afros.
Like this:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/265/a/7/afro_by_davidraphet-d5fiq0o.jpg

Maybe in another lifetime :)

This is awesome! I didn't know straight hair could retain that much structure. I kinda want to become the next fashion. :D

I would wrap the hair to the very teeny tiny ends though. It would make it look more fro-like. But yeah, I agree with you. That would be like a 2-day adventure just for a hair-do.

Horrorpops
February 15th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Wow that's amazing! Such a huge difference (although your hair looks lovely in both pics!)

Angelica
February 15th, 2014, 06:38 AM
This doesn't work for me. No matter how many braids I'd put in overnight, it would become a frizzy thin mess if I didn't put mousse or hairspray in afterwards. No curl or waves will hold in my hair for long without such help. It looks pretty though in OP photograph.

Cederin
February 15th, 2014, 07:15 AM
For me it works really well to make a high bun overnight :o Gives a lot of volume in the roots. Braids are great too when I want some more defined texture!

turtlelover
February 15th, 2014, 08:12 AM
If I want HUGE hair, I condition it w/ catnip tea instead of conditioner. I can get some serious volume w/ the stuff. I imagine if you did the braiding after that, you'd have even MORE volume.

kdaniels8811
February 15th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Upside down french braid, what a great idea!!

pixldust
February 15th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Your hair looks great with the volume! I love your hair in your avatar too though. So sleek and shiny and pretty!

LadyLongLocks
February 15th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Your hair does not look thin in the avatar.
Braids are a basic way to add volume. Been doing that for years and I see so many here do it as well.
I like making 1 big braid instead of several. One braid gives big soft waves, 4 would look like frizz/kinks with my hair.