PDA

View Full Version : Tea Tree Oil in hair?

Scelesta
February 1st, 2014, 05:42 PM
I've been using tea tree oil after I wash my face as a way to handle my breakouts,into my skin lotion mixed some into my conditioner, and into the oils I use when I oil my hair (which is just olive oil for the time being once sometimes twice a weke) My skin LOVES it, and it really makes my hair feel and smell great.

But i'm kinda curious is tea tree oil even good for your hair? I know for me my hair loves it, the olive oil alone makes it like silk, but with the tea tree oil its even softer and my scalp no longer itches between washes.

Sofialu
February 1st, 2014, 05:48 PM
Ive no idea about the hair but I find witch hazel very soothing for my skin and good for shrinking my pores.

G1ll
February 1st, 2014, 05:52 PM
Tea tree oil is great for the scalp. It helps keep dandruff and itchiness at bay. I'm not sure if it has any benefits for the length of your hair however.

Firefox7275
February 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Tea tree is useful for mild seborrhoeic dermatitis, if there is any possibility you have this you would be wise to avoid any oil rich in oleic acid, stearic acid or palmitic acid all of which can worsen the condition. That includes olive oil. Simlay oleic acid is comedogenic and a skin barrier disruptor so not ideal in those who are prone to breakout.

Rio040113
February 2nd, 2014, 05:45 AM
Tea tree oil is great for the scalp. It helps keep dandruff and itchiness at bay. I'm not sure if it has any benefits for the length of your hair however.

Came to say this ^ :)

sachaa
February 2nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Tea tree EO, has like any other EO antifungal and antibacterial properties ! so it's indeed great for the scalp, and probably the reason why your scalp stopped itching

meteor
February 2nd, 2014, 02:14 PM
I agree with the above posts. It's good for scalp, if you have SD and as a way to keep the itchies at bay. I add a tiny bit in my diluted shampoo sometimes.
Tea tree oil is slightly drying (like most anti-bacterial products, actually), if used regularly in significant amounts, so be careful not to overdo it.