PDA

View Full Version : Sooo my ends are dry.

FallingDarkness
February 1st, 2014, 02:23 PM
Not really split-endy, but just a lot drier than the rest of my hair, and kinda rougher, too. Does this mean I should go get a trim? Is there an easy fix to this? I'd rather not cut off some of my hair because if I do it'll take a longer time to grow! LOL. So. :confused: What exactly should I do?

Long_hair_bear
February 1st, 2014, 02:26 PM
Get yourself a jar of Nighblooming Panacea and have at it! That stuff works minor miracles! :cool:

FallingDarkness
February 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Ooh okay
Where can I get it?

sarahthegemini
February 1st, 2014, 04:04 PM
Do you use leave in conditioner?

Long_hair_bear
February 1st, 2014, 04:06 PM
Ooh okay
Where can I get it?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming/search?search_query=panacea&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

I recommend a sample first, just to make sure you like it. :)

YamaMaya
February 1st, 2014, 04:46 PM
When my hair and ends remain stubbornly dry, I do a hot oil treatment (coconut mixed with olive), melting it in a mug submerged in hot water, then dunking the ends in first and spreading it all over. I put it in a braid or bun then leave it anywhere from a few hours to overnight, then shampoo it all out and follow up with a load of conditioner then a light oiling while wet. It gets my ends back to feeling fresh cut soft :)

Quasiquixotic
February 1st, 2014, 04:59 PM
My daughter's hair is very different from mine and it was very dry. I made up a hair balm for her and it's made a world of difference. A little goes a long way. The right amount doesn't have to be washed out.

0.5 oz Shea butter
0.25 oz bees wax
0.25 oz cocoa butter
0.25 oz coconut oil
1.25 T Neem oil
1 T Kukui nut oil - similar to Camilla
1 T avocado oil
1/2 T Argon oil
1/2 T pomegranate seed oil
20 drops vitamin E
12 drops Lavender, 8 drops lemongrass and 4 drops rosemary EO. Still didn't fully mask the smell of the neem oil.

Melt in a double boiler, remove from heat and let cool a little. Add vitamin e and EOs. Pour into jar - I used 1/2 pint square mason jar. Made about 3 ounces. Cost me just over $5 in materials.

I know it's a lot of "stuff" but so far it's been amazing. And I like making my own products ;)

Hope that helps.

ositarosita
February 1st, 2014, 05:02 PM
when was the last tie you clarified???// the dryness might just be product build up

lapushka
February 1st, 2014, 05:07 PM
when was the last tie you clarified???// the dryness might just be product build up

This. And posting your routine would be helpful to us as well!!!

Firefox7275
February 1st, 2014, 09:04 PM
Clarify and chelate. Use a leave in conditioner (many rinse outs work well). Use penetrating oils like coconut or olive. Try a hydrolysed protein treatment. Depends what you have already done really.

FallingDarkness
February 2nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
I don't use any leave in conditioners. :/
When I do hot oil treatments, I do the same as you do, YamaMaya, but I just shampoo it out, and I never oil when wet. I actually did so just the other night, and it didn't seem to help all that much... :steam

FallingDarkness
February 2nd, 2014, 01:13 AM
When I do hot oil treatments, I do the same as you do, YamaMaya, but I just shampoo it out, and I never oil when wet. I actually did so just the other night, and it didn't seem to help all that much... :steam

FallingDarkness
February 2nd, 2014, 01:13 AM
Double post, oops. Sorry!

tigereye
February 2nd, 2014, 03:49 AM
I agree with the clarifying/chelating, especially if you use cones or live in a hard-water area. Before I discovered my SLS allergy, I had both, and my ends were like straw (when I lived with my parents - they ended up moving from our hard-water unchlorinated private supply to the soft-water public supply purely because the older folks that lived near my parents were getting high rates of kidney stones directly related to the hard water. My hair improved with the change).
Cones locked out moisture for me, instead of locking it in, so try clarifying to get rid of excess.

And nightbloomings panacea truly is a minor miracle worker.

QMacrocarpa
February 2nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
If I'm not getting instant tangles or other velcro-y symptoms that tell me splits and breakage are on the way, I don't bother to trim when my ends feel rougher/dry.

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 07:54 AM
My hair was really dry to. I just clarified and my hair is soft right now. So I definitely second the clarifying thing.

Firefox7275
February 2nd, 2014, 09:44 AM

Dont confuse aesthetic feel with improved condition, there is overlap but they are not one and the same. Penetrating oils (eg those rich in lauric or oleic acid) affect the cortex of the hair by increasing elasticity and reducing porosity. That may affect behaviour but not the feel of the cuticle if you are shampooing the excess off. Non penetrating oils may well do absolutely nothing if you shampoo them out, penetrating oils may do nothing if you don't leave them long enough (research is overnight to twenty four hours on dry hair).

Also don't expect instant gratification, that is silicones in commercial products, few functional or penetrating ingredients will work their magic in one treatment. If you want the cuticle to feel better and be patch repaired use ingredients that do this: hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

G1ll
February 2nd, 2014, 10:01 AM
Have you been doing anything different to your hair? Just baby it for a while. If you find nothing works, you might have to cut it. My ends were dry and i was trying a whole bunch of things to help them out. Unfortunately, nothing worked for me. So i just cut it. Feels 100% better now.

höpönasu
February 2nd, 2014, 10:08 AM
My ends are about 1" dry and it really crunches a little. I do oil soakings 1-2 a week but nothing helps. I think they are also a bit damaged from my earlier bleachings and heat styling. I see only one way to get rid of them and that's cutting but they won't bother me as much when I s&d a lot and micro trim too. When I'm at my goal lenght I will start maintaining and getting rid of them.

meteor
February 2nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
If the ends are dry, but not splitting, you can try:
1) clarifying (and possibly chelating, if you have hard water),
2) SMT or another intensive moisturizing treatment with humectants,
3) oiling (heavily pre-poo and lightly after) and leave-ins rich in oils, ceramides, silicones, 18-MEA, hydrolized proteins amino acids, peptides.

I don't think you really need a trim, unless the hair is splitting ... it could just be just seasonal dryness, which requires heavier products. Also cover your hair with silk when sleeping or putting on a hat. Silk is way less absorbent than cotton or wool or many other materials, which can help your hair keep moisture/oils.

Tini'sNewHair
February 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
My ends are starting to do this to and my only difference is that i havent oiled my hair like i normally do with coconut oil once a week, you just reminded me to get back on that schedule. I really want to trim but once i get to waist, which shouldnt be long now.

Oh and just this morning for example, i woke up (im due for a wash tonight) and my ends were pretty much Velcro like so I dipped my ends in coconut oil and bun-ed my hair up, my ends already feel baby soft - once i pick my daughter from school i plan to do a deep oil treatment.