PDA

View Full Version : Hello hello. Hair goals, books, food and recipes!

Quasiquixotic
February 1st, 2014, 02:08 PM
Hi all, I'm Sarah. I've had long hair (BSL) 4 times in the past. I never knew about the community and I sure wish I did. My first major cut was just before graduation in high school. Then again in college. Once again as a young adult. And most recently I spent most 2012/2013 with pixi/boy hair. In the past I'd just let it grow and put it up everyday until I was bored and wanted a drastic change - bam, chop it all off and donate. Not like it short grow it out again, get bored and do it all again. Apparently, I'm slow. Not until this last time and after spending a year plus with short short hair, I decided I was going to grow it out and LEARN to do stuff with it and not be bored. I've always said I need hairapy, well hopefully this forum is my savior.

so my hair was pixi cut, shaved in the back, July 2013. I'm guessing about 13 inches from hairline to nape of neck, although the top was not that long. In the last 7 months I'm about shoulder length - long enough to touch my shoulders and slightly curl. I'm going for BSL...maybe waist. Wish me luck :)

so about me, other than hair. I live on a homestead in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, with hubs and my daughter (4 yo March 2014), and a smattering of other friends, my brother, chickens and ducks.

I love to read romance and paranormal fiction - weres, vamps, witches, fairies, etc etc. I am always looking for new authors.

I've started making my own skin, hair and body care products. Really exciting and fun. And I'd love to swap recipes.

I cook. Lots. For 10 people. Every day. So fun times ;)

I homeschool my daughter. So much spirit.

I hope to make new friends here and learn from the masters all about hair. And life. And fun.

Teazel
February 1st, 2014, 03:52 PM
Welcome, Quasiquixotic. I keep chickens, too; a little flock of 7 hens and a rooster. How many do you have?

Federica
February 2nd, 2014, 05:32 AM
Hello and welcome!
Here you'll find some great tips to grow your hair faster and stronger.
Happy journey to you!

Johannah
February 2nd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Welcome! We got chickens too, haha :p

Quasiquixotic
February 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Welcome, Quasiquixotic. I keep chickens, too; a little flock of 7 hens and a rooster. How many do you have?

Oh that's so awesome! I love chickens. We have about 40. We have 25 more arriving in a few weeks, right around my birthday ;)

What breeds? Our are mostly black astrolorps, some black and white langshans, 2 (m/f) black Cochins - the rooster, Haus, is just impressive. It's like he's wearing pants!, 2 partridge Cochins, 1 buff cochin and a smattering of medium breeds - wyandottes, redcap, and so forth.

We had our first hen go broody and raise 9 chicks for us last fall. Such a cool experience!

Quasiquixotic
February 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
Welcome! We got chickens too, haha :p

LOVE chickens! Mmmmm fresh eggs :)

Teazel
February 3rd, 2014, 03:38 PM
I've got 3 Barred Plymouth Rock crosses (their mums were BPRs, no idea what the fathers were), one Gold Laced Wyandotte (her beautiful sister died last midwinter, sniff), one Brown Shaver (escaped from a neighbour's place and came to live here - and stayed with her former owner's permission!) and 3 Buff Laced Wyandottes, one of whom is the rooster. The last 3 were hatched 14 months ago, my first experience of putting eggs under a broody hen and going through the whole thing. :D There were 5 chicks originally; we ate two of the boys and kept the best one. :whistle:

You've got a lot of chooks! Do you sell the eggs?

Quasiquixotic
February 6th, 2014, 01:02 PM
I've got 3 Barred Plymouth Rock crosses (their mums were BPRs, no idea what the fathers were), one Gold Laced Wyandotte (her beautiful sister died last midwinter, sniff), one Brown Shaver (escaped from a neighbour's place and came to live here - and stayed with her former owner's permission!) and 3 Buff Laced Wyandottes, one of whom is the rooster. The last 3 were hatched 14 months ago, my first experience of putting eggs under a broody hen and going through the whole thing. :D There were 5 chicks originally; we ate two of the boys and kept the best one. :whistle:

You've got a lot of chooks! Do you sell the eggs?

When they are all laying, yes. We have ducks that lay too. Mmm fatty duck eggs. Right now they are all fired because they aren't laying enough and I'm having to buy eggs. So not cool ladies. But we are still getting a few even now with snow everywhere in winter, so I'm not actually upset. It's more that the 3-5 eggs we get a day don't go far enough with 9 people here.

We've had a steep learning curve with foxes and coyotes here, so we've lost too many to kill the boys and eat yet. We have eaten some of our ducks.

I'm so excited for my blue laced red wyandottes. I have 5 straight run coming in about 10 days. Can't. Wait!

And we are getting 8 geese the end of march :yumm:

Teazel
February 9th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Blue Laced Wyandottes! I'm envious. I do like the breed, and there are so many colour variations. There are a few chicken threads languishing in the Pet forum you might be interested in. :)

LanaBanana
February 9th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Welcome! Your life in colorado sounds beautiful. Major kudos for homeschooling! I was home schooled for high school, and I think it's the best way to go.

On books, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is my all time favorite. Romance, historical fiction, time travel, and action all in one!

And once your hair gets long enough, be sure to check out youtube for hairstyle tutorials (if you haven't already.) I have learned so much there! I'm at APL and I can do a couple of buns, it's really fun.

Happy growing!