PDA

View Full Version : cinnabun problem

carolineb
September 11th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Hello!
From what i read, the cinnabun is a favourite and easy-to-do updo...
Well, i just don't manage to hold it with a stick only. When it is braided, i do, but when it is not, i don't.
I will try to make myself clear but it is hard.
So... first you twist your hair, and then you start making it into a bun, therefore, you have some kinds of loops around each other, like a snail shell (yeah... well, i have the feeling i am VERY clear here) well, when i get to the end, i try and put the stick, but all the loops just do not stick to my scalp, they start falling and the rest of the hair is slipping.
My hair are something like 2b though, and generally not slipping when i have a hair stick.
But this one cinnabun, i just can't.
Is the only solution to put some small pins?

Thank you

Samikha
September 11th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Well, everything takes practice. When I do a cinnabun I usually hold it up with two hairpins crossing each other, as that makes it ever so much more solid. Are you sure you are rolling the hair about itself tightly enough? Sounds like it's a bit loose.

You can use small pins as well, of course, but I always thought that two matching hairpins looked better.

ChatoyantLocks
September 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM
It helps to make sure the first few twists at the base (or center) of the bun are fairly snug. This helps anchor the core of it. Then wrap the following loops around it. Also the stick should be inserted with an up and down sewing motion - first catching some scalp hair, then some of the bun, than scalp, etc., making sure to catch some of each loop of hair as you go past it. Samikha's suggestion of using two sticks, is a good one, especially when you are first learning how to do this style. If you still have trouble getting things to stay put, you might try looking into getting some Amish hair pins. If it still doesn't work, see if you can get some help from someone in person who knows how to do it, or put it aside until your hair is a few inches longer - some styles are length dependent.

Shanarana
September 11th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Maybe adding a bit of water or oil to keep the hairs togeather may help. Tuck in the ends of your hair under the bun as well if your not doing that already.

Keep going at it, you'll get it.

sapphire-o
September 11th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Did you tuck the ends in under the bun? I usually wrap the last round or two deep under the bun. It's much harder for your hair to unravel then. Check out the article section for updo instructions. Many of them have pictures or videos. They're very helpful.

carolineb
September 11th, 2008, 05:45 AM
thank you so much for all! i have checked various links on how to do a cinnabun, i think you are all right and the problem might be that i do not twist enough. i am at work with my lovely braided cinnabun for now, which do not unravel because of the english braid, all the hair stays in, so i won't try out now, but i will tonight, and i'll let you know.
Thanks again!

LadyLongLocks
September 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM
You could try clips with the first and second twist and then use your hair sticks as a second way to secure. I also have heavy hair and hair sticks don't work for me alone. You can cover the clips with your hair and only the sticks would show. Meanwhile you would have a good support base with the clips. Here is a cinnamon bun demo I have on youtube. Just add the sticks after the hair is secure.
:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZEDOMF5ek

Anje
September 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Give it some time, if you can't figure it out. Last spring, I couldn't get a cinnabun to hold with a single stick or pin to save my life, which I had always done before. So I shifted to inside-out buns, knotted buns, and so on. Now cinnamon buns are holding well with one stick again. A few inches growth can make a huge difference in the stability of a style.

rhysiana
September 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Though it does sound like you might have solved your problem with tighter twisting, I thought I'd just chime in to say that I can't keep a plain cinnamon bun up with just one stick; I have to use either two sticks or a fork. Forks work great, though!

FrannyG
September 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Also, don't forget that you have very thick hair and your waves give you even more volume. You might find it easier after you gain another inch or two. :flower:

florenonite
September 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM
There was an article (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52502) in the archives that helped me immensely in learning to do a cinnabun with a solitary stick.

I notice your hair is quite thick, so you may also find the variation for iii hair (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49286) useful.

carolineb
September 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks everyone, you've been so helpful.
My test, yesterday, it did not work, even though i twisted more. So basically, i do need other pins to secure the base and keep it flat.
Florenonite, i have just read your message and saw the articles you mentionned, i will try tonight and see.
I am not too worried any longer thanks to you all, if it does not work, i'll wait until i reach another couples of inches.
i still can do lots of other things!

Samikha
September 12th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Thick hair often has this problem, it's simply more difficult for us :) So have fun with the other styles meanwhile!

Stagecoach
September 12th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I never masterd the art of cinnabuns with only 1 or 2 hairsticks/pins. I always pin each coil as I make them. I have a demo video on YouTube if you care to check it out. www.youtube.com/prairiesunrise

Tressie
September 12th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Hi, This has all been covered probably but.......make sure your hair stick/sticks are LONG enough! I am new to the updo LOL, but I was helped by someone's instructions to start the stick AWAY from the center of the bun, and then REVERSE it scooping it through the coils and grabbing some scalp hair as well, as you secure it through the bun. If your hair is too thick to be held with one long stick, as has been suggested, use two, perhaps in opposite sides! We'll get the hang of this if we keep practicing! Good luck!

carolineb
September 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
thank you all, i will keep on trying, and Stagecoach's way seems to be the best to keep my bun in shape. Thanks for the video, and for all of your advice...