PDA

View Full Version : When you know you need a trim

Arwenlily
January 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM
The last trim I had was in July of 2013 and my goal is to wait until July of this year for a trim. I haven't seen any splits since I don't know when, maybe a couple of years ago but I've seen one or two knots every once and awhile. My ends are a little dry at times but mostly okay. Do you think it is possible to wait until July? Or do I need a trim sooner?

Have often do you all trim? And how to tell if it is necessary to get a trim?

höpönasu
January 31st, 2014, 12:56 PM
My ends feel really dry and uncomfortable and just a micro trim (2-5 mills off) makes it feel a lot better even though I won't cut that precisely. I've enjoyed my hair a lot lately and kept it loose so I can feel and see my bad ends way better. And it's said that keeping your hair loose makes it more prone to splits because it brushes against your clothes and possibly gets stuck on zippers etc. But I'm not that concerned, I want to enjoy my hair!

So my advice for you is when you want to trim, trim just the tiniest bit and feel your hair. If it still feels uncomfortable, take the tiniest bit again. Also S&D.

Madora
January 31st, 2014, 01:04 PM
If the ends are full of splits, then its time for a trim (about half an inch). Personally, I haven't trimmed in over a year, but S and D regularly and always wear my hair up.

vanillabones
January 31st, 2014, 01:12 PM
I think you can make it to July. I know I need a trim but I want to wait until March. Just wear it up everyday then you and nobody else has to worry about the ends XD

Arwenlily
January 31st, 2014, 01:50 PM
For those of you that S&D, where did you get your scissors from?

slynr
January 31st, 2014, 02:00 PM
I purchased my scissors at Sally Beauty Co. They have a really good selection and a wide price range.

LisaButz2001
January 31st, 2014, 02:24 PM
Ironically, July 2013 coincides with my last trim, before I had six inches lopped off yesterday. I wear my hair up daily. I S & D. However, my hair was coarse & I still had splits. I went from tailbone to waist, and it is so much silkier and bouncier. It a personal preference based on what you think looks good. I prefer my hair's appearance now. I'm aiming for once every six months per trim. I also have a bridal shower and wedding to attend in summer, so I want my hair to look its absolute best.

sarahramen
January 31st, 2014, 04:30 PM
If my ends feel dry or velcro like and a clarifying shampoo doesn't fix it I will do a tiny trim, which makes everything feel and behave better. Or if I have a lot of visible splits and white dots I will trim above those. After trims I try to S&D more often to maintain the results, I got my scissors on sale from Walgreens. I am trying my hand at micro trimming right now, so at the end of every month I cut off most of my growth (I am basically at my goal length so I don't care about gaining length).

Tini'sNewHair
January 31st, 2014, 07:21 PM
I havent trimmed in 1 year and 8 months. I do a lot of S&D and my hair seems fine, sometimes i had issues with dry ends but oilling fixed it or when i get velcro ends i use clarifying shampoo which also seem to work. I do plan to mantain at waist because i want fresh ends and a more even hemline.

spidermom
January 31st, 2014, 10:08 PM
I get mine trimmed every 8 weeks whether it needs it or not (girls' day out with granddaughter and daughter).