PDA

View Full Version : how often do you worry about damage

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 04:19 AM
How often do you worry about damage to you hair?

I never want my hair to control me. I want to be able to play with color, styles, cuts. I want to be able to brush without fear, use product..whatever. I never want to fear losing length.

Obviously I want it to be in best condition possible..but if I have to worry about every single thing going wrong with it then its just too much issue for me. I am one of those "whats the point in beautiful hair if it isn't enjoyed" people. I wear up for comfort alone, not protection. I am fascinated with hair. Love the topic..kills time at work. :) I am also a long time product junkie for fun..but in real life I just cant let it go there to where I fret too much about it.

What about you? What is your relationship with hair. Just want to know what the different sides are. Its not vain in my eyes if you do worry about it. I obsess about my skin, that's my thing so trust me i get having a "thing" you really consider daily. My skin controls me.

My goal is to get my hair in good condition so it becomes less maintenance. I feel the better the hair in general the better it styles more naturally... so I am happy to prepoo and use good products and oils..but that's as far as I can let my mind go as far as worry.

How far do your hair worries go?

Addy
January 31st, 2014, 04:28 AM
I use benign neglect on my hair 98% of the time. I trim once a year usually (growing out a pixie right now though), occasionally do EVOO and when it's long enough, I'll braid it, leave it down, twirl it between my fingers or bun it. Some days I may not even comb it and I don't dye it anymore.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 04:36 AM
I'm worried about damage. My hair is fragile. I can't use a lot of heat or dye at all (or bleach!!) because then I'll need to cut it at least 4 inches (been there, done that). I don't want that. I haven't had my hair really long since I was 7, so I need to put a lot of effort in it. I'm sure I'll never use highlights or heat again. I do a heavy oiling every week. I don't use silicons or SLS, I brush carefully, wear my hair up every single day, S&D, ... It doesn't really control me since I put it up, so I'm allright :p When my hair is as long as I want, I'll wear it down again (why have long hair if you can't show it?) but for the next 12 months... I know what I need to do :p

Verdandi
January 31st, 2014, 04:47 AM
Everytime I comb it (old ripping habits die hard) and when I do something I KNOW is bad for it, like wearing it loose or playing with my braid tassel (I seriously have to stop touching the tassel...), and right after washing because it always seems so brittle and fragile. Throughout the day, not so much, I usually have it bunned, and think that hair will get at least a little damaged, no matter what, and if i thought about it all the time I wold go nuts (tried, DBF told me I was acting crazy, so I stopped it).

SleepyTangles
January 31st, 2014, 05:12 AM
Often/always, but no more in a stressing way: after a while, it becomes mechanical to behave in the "less damaging" way. Putting it in a bun now sounds normal, as to blowdry on cool/medium settings, fingercombing, and so on. It gets easier :)

sarahthegemini
January 31st, 2014, 05:26 AM
I'm not as damage-concious as when I first joined LHC. I'm with you Erin with the whole 'why have long hair if you can't enjoy it' I don't want to be so worried about damage that having hair seems a chore, when virtually everything damages the hair in some way anyway. I won't dye or heat style but I wear my hair loose, play with it, I don't wear a sleep cap (anymore) etc. I make sure I'm not squashing my hair with the back of a chair for example or with a seat belt but that's about it. I'm not interested in wearing my hair up in protective styles 24/7 and 'treating it like antique lace'

redredrobin
January 31st, 2014, 05:28 AM
I'm worried about damage. My hair is fragile. I can't use a lot of heat or dye at all (or bleach!!) because then I'll need to cut it at least 4 inches (been there, done that). I don't want that. I haven't had my hair really long since I was 7, so I need to put a lot of effort in it. I'm sure I'll never use highlights or heat again. I do a heavy oiling every week. I don't use silicons or SLS, I brush carefully, wear my hair up every single day, S&D, ... It doesn't really control me since I put it up, so I'm allright :p When my hair is as long as I want, I'll wear it down again (why have long hair if you can't show it?) but for the next 12 months... I know what I need to do :p

I'm in the same situation. I worry about damage mostly because my hair is already damaged and I'm trying to avoid cutting it off.

I never want my hair to control me. I want to be able to play with color, styles, cuts. I want to be able to brush without fear, use product..whatever. I never want to fear losing length.

Obviously I want it to be in best condition possible..but if I have to worry about every single thing going wrong with it then its just too much issue for me. I am one of those "whats the point in beautiful hair if it isn't enjoyed" people. I wear up for comfort alone, not protection. I am fascinated with hair. Love the topic..kills time at work. :) I am also a long time product junkie for fun..but in real life I just cant let it go there to where I fret too much about it.

What about you? What is your relationship with hair. Just want to know what the different sides are. Its not vain in my eyes if you do worry about it. I obsess about my skin, that's my thing so trust me i get having a "thing" you really consider daily. My skin controls me.

My goal is to get my hair in good condition so it becomes less maintenance. I feel the better the hair in general the better it styles more naturally... so I am happy to prepoo and use good products and oils..but that's as far as I can let my mind go as far as worry.

How far do your hair worries go?

I think when you're growing out hair, and in particular growing out damage without chopping it off, hair does control what you do with it to a certain extent. Well for me anyway, I guess everyone is different. I'm not interested in experimenting too much with hair cuts and colours though, so I don't feel I am missing out on much.

I'm also trying to get my hair in better condition to become less maintenance. Unfortunately my hair does need to go through the 'controlling me' phase to get to that! Does that make sense? I'm not sure I've explained it properly. I'm new to the forum :D

redredrobin
January 31st, 2014, 05:32 AM
I can't work out how to edit my post, is it because I am new?

I wanted to add that the main thing I do to baby my hair is to put it up for the majority of the time, stretch washes and use oils, so maybe I'm not as controlled by my hair as I thought. I wear it down now and again.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:33 AM

I like that answer. It's goal minded. Working towards something with a reward at the end. motivating and can be applied to anything thing in life you truly want :)

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:37 AM
I'm not as damage-concious as when I first joined LHC. I'm with you Erin with the whole 'why have long hair if you can't enjoy it' I don't want to be so worried about damage that having hair seems a chore, when virtually everything damages the hair in some way anyway. I won't dye or heat style but I wear my hair loose, play with it, I don't wear a sleep cap (anymore) etc. I make sure I'm not squashing my hair with the back of a chair for example or with a seat belt but that's about it. I'm not interested in wearing my hair up in protective styles 24/7 and 'treating it like antique lace'

OMG the sleep cap! I totally forgot I had one. lol I forgot i bought that when I joined here. i hated it. Made my head sweat and I kinda felt foolish in it considering I am CBL!. Yes I agree, i am more aware about things like hair rubbing against collar and things like that. Its like you don't think about it but you are "aware" now. I like this as it rings very true with me.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:41 AM
I'm in the same situation. I worry about damage mostly because my hair is already damaged and I'm trying to avoid cutting it off.

I think when you're growing out hair, and in particular growing out damage without chopping it off, hair does control what you do with it to a certain extent. Well for me anyway, I guess everyone is different. I'm not interested in experimenting too much with hair cuts and colours though, so I don't feel I am missing out on much.

I'm also trying to get my hair in better condition to become less maintenance. Unfortunately my hair does need to go through the 'controlling me' phase to get to that! Does that make sense? I'm not sure I've explained it properly. I'm new to the forum :D

Makes a ton of sense! I can understand that. if I had a goal i would fight for it too. This is why I like reading all the posts. We all have such distinct personalities and I like seeing how people think. I am the opposite hence the short hair. I am a chopper. Something feels dry, split or frizzy i whack it off. Hoping taking better care of it in the sense of using better products and using more common sense reduces the big chops and replaces them with microtrims, but since I do have a goal length I don't have to stress if I do cut.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:42 AM
I can't work out how to edit my post, is it because I am new?

I wanted to add that the main thing I do to baby my hair is to put it up for the majority of the time, stretch washes and use oils, so maybe I'm not as controlled by my hair as I thought. I wear it down now and again.

yes, at 25 post you will be able to edit. it was maddening for me not to be able to as I am the typo queen and also always hit the enter buttons which for me makes it post to soon :)

redredrobin
January 31st, 2014, 05:48 AM
Makes a ton of sense! I can understand that. if I had a goal i would fight for it too. This is why I like reading all the posts. We all have such distinct personalities and I like seeing how people think. I am the opposite hence the short hair. I am a chopper. Something feels dry, split or frizzy i whack it off. Hoping taking better care of it in the sense of using better products and using more common sense reduces the big chops and replaces them with microtrims, but since I do have a goal length I don't have to stress if I do cut.

I think if you had my hair you would run, not walk, to the nearest hairdresser to get the bottom couple of inches cut off!

yes, at 25 post you will be able to edit. it was maddening for me not to be able to as I am the typo queen and also always hit the enter buttons which for me makes it post to soon :)

Thanks!

sarahthegemini
January 31st, 2014, 05:48 AM
OMG the sleep cap! I totally forgot I had one. lol I forgot i bought that when I joined here. i hated it. Made my head sweat and I kinda felt foolish in it considering I am CBL!. Yes I agree, i am more aware about things like hair rubbing against collar and things like that. Its like you don't think about it but you are "aware" now. I like this as it rings very true with me.

Absolutely. And I make sure not to trap my hair under my bag strap, things like that make a big difference I think and require no effort or thought really.

XcaliburGirl
January 31st, 2014, 05:50 AM
I don't really think much about damage, but I don't really have the desire to bleach or dye or heat style. I do enjoy wearing my hair in a ponytail sometimes and washing every day.

The best thing to do is to figure out your own priorities and consider whether your hair can handle how you'd like to treat it.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:56 AM
I don't really think much about damage, but I don't really have the desire to bleach or dye or heat style. I do enjoy wearing my hair in a ponytail sometimes and washing every day.

The best thing to do is to figure out your own priorities and consider whether your hair can handle how you'd like to treat it.

i am pretty sure my hair hates me :)

jacqueline101
January 31st, 2014, 05:59 AM
I'm worried about damage but I don't let it rule my life. I don't want to become hair obsessed that I don't take time to enjoy it. I would and do on occasions wear it down and show it to my man. I want to enjoy it take pride in it.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 06:01 AM
I think if you had my hair you would run, not walk, to the nearest hairdresser to get the bottom couple of inches cut off!

Thanks!

You know maybe not now. When I came here in Oct I had mega mega damage. There is a thread with pictures somewhere in the Mane forum under Brazillian blowout gone wrong. I cut a lot off but left some as I really didn't want to go shorter than CBL as I prefer to wear hair up for comfort and i cant do it above that length. Anyway my point is..with a few tweaks to my routine a lot of my issues went away. The dryness, the ends with the 90 degree bends, the zig zag strands, the extreme tangles etc etc. I know now some things can be babied back to health so i do think my priorities have changed a bit about what qualifies to be lopped off, so your hair is safe near me :)

askan
January 31st, 2014, 06:11 AM
Oh, if I had my dreamhair it would be waistlength, bleached blonde and always loose and messy and rock'n'roll. But I tried that already and at BSL I had so much damage I had to cut a LOT of it off. I don't want the tangles, the thinning and broken off hairs everythere, so I want to be more careful this time. And also I spent two whole years growing out damage without gaining any length, so now I can finally start to grow for real I'm quite protective of my ends and new growth.
But I could never be 100% pedantic about avoiding damage, I still want to enjoy it like you say, so I'm often wearing it down and very occationally use hair spray and such. I wish I could eliminate everyday damage though, like winter weather and lazy ponytails though. This is my first winter with LHC habits so I'm more conscious about it, though not worrying too much. I try to tell myself it's better to grow slowly and trim as much as I need than not trim and end up with long but damaged hair!

Mellybee
January 31st, 2014, 06:17 AM
I used to not care much what went in/o my hair, but after chopping it all off, I haven't dyed it, I've started worrying about ingredients in certain cosmetics (not just hair products, though; creams, make ups, soaps, etc...) I sometimes relax a little on my no-heat rule but i'd say that's about as far as I go. I'm trying really hard to take good care of my hair these days.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 06:19 AM
I like that answer. It's goal minded. Working towards something with a reward at the end. motivating and can be applied to anything thing in life you truly want :)

++ I like to see peoples reactions when they see my hair at hip length in a year. They never see it down right now. That's the most motivating!

G1ll
January 31st, 2014, 07:23 AM
I worry about damage when styling my hair but it doesn't really cross my mind throughout the day. I'm with you on the same outlook, 'why have beautiful hair if you can't show it'. I struggle even now with doing updos because I don't feel as confident with my hair up as compared to my hair being down. I guess it's just something I need to work on.

Achlys
January 31st, 2014, 07:26 AM
I am aware of may hair when it's down and I make sure to move it out of the way and not rub it against things too much. I'm a bit lazy about putting it up (it's often down when I'm at home), so I don't expect it to be perfect and have no splits or anything. I'm also not too fussy about products anymore, I just avoid the harsh ones. I do try to be careful with washing and brushing. But I've never been a heat user and I'm not interested in cuts or dyes (except henna) at all, my hair is fragile enough by itself. I don't think I'll start to wear it down all the time when I reach my goal length. I think taking care of my hair is in itself enjoyable.

I start to worry more seriously when I forget to eat enough, I've already lost hair because of that over time. One more big shed and I'll probably have to chop it all off.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 07:40 AM
I am aware of may hair when it's down and I make sure to move it out of the way and not rub it against things too much. I'm a bit lazy about putting it up (it's often down when I'm at home), so I don't expect it to be perfect and have no splits or anything. I'm also not too fussy about products anymore, I just avoid the harsh ones. I do try to be careful with washing and brushing. But I've never been a heat user and I'm not interested in cuts or dyes (except henna) at all, my hair is fragile enough by itself. I don't think I'll start to wear it down all the time when I reach my goal length. I think taking care of my hair is in itself enjoyable.

I start to worry more seriously when I forget to eat enough, I've already lost hair because of that over time. One more big shed and I'll probably have to chop it all off.

Thats a good point. Diet is the best thing we can do for our hair and bodies.

Bagginslover
January 31st, 2014, 08:05 AM
When I first joined here, I got really paranoid, I did a lot of the 'bad things', and I was really hesitant to stop them as they were convenient to me. 2 years on, and I have totally changed my hair care routine, and boy does it show! I no longer stress over my hair, as my routine is now ingrained, its second nature to move it when needed, or to put it up/tuck it away if windy etc. It seems like such small things, buteach small chamge I've made has really contributed to making my hair so much healthier, that the bad things I do still do (a bit of bleaching), have much less of an impact.

Madora
January 31st, 2014, 08:27 AM
I never worry about damage because the advice of Dr. George Michael taught me how to treat it properly.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 08:41 AM
When I first joined here, I got really paranoid, I did a lot of the 'bad things', and I was really hesitant to stop them as they were convenient to me. 2 years on, and I have totally changed my hair care routine, and boy does it show! I no longer stress over my hair, as my routine is now ingrained, its second nature to move it when needed, or to put it up/tuck it away if windy etc. It seems like such small things, buteach small chamge I've made has really contributed to making my hair so much healthier, that the bad things I do still do (a bit of bleaching), have much less of an impact.

I wonder if that is why I feel "not super worried." Maybe I feel confident the habits have become ingrained. The more I think about the more I feel its definitely in my head somewhere. Small things like not rubbing it on couch, not pulling updo too tight, lowering temperature on hair dryer without thinking about it. Not touching too much. Things you don't think you are thinking about, but you are in the subconscience sense.

I probably am making zero sense since I have been up 20 hours :)

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 09:17 AM
I never worry about damage because the advice of Dr. George Michael taught me how to treat it properly.

That must be an amazing experience! And it is always appreciated when you share your knowledge.
I wonder why more salons aren't trying to go this route. So many women do want their hair to grow and to be in best condition but simply do not know how. I feel it would be awesome to see salons that truly know how to care for hair and have stylist that educate you and help you get your hair goals.
I can say most stylists I have met simply do not understand hair care. Nor do they understand the products they sell and the services they offer. I am baffled by it as I would assume they woukd have a passion for what they do and imagine they would want to soak up knowledge on the subject.

My experience is most stylists are more worried about how you will look when you walk out the door as opposed to how you look 30days from now. So many times I see a cut that truly does not work for the hairs natural texture or the persons lifestyle. Do they really think people want to spend an hour on their hair styling a day? I think deep down a lot of women are wishing for wash and go yet don't know the cut that will take them there. And sadly a stylist who doesn't understand hair will never get them there. Good advise is golden and would go a long way for many.

cathair
January 31st, 2014, 09:44 AM
Thinking about damaging it is drive me a bit bonkers this week. It doesn't usually bother me quite this much. Had a very good S&D last weekend and had a few accidents this week.

One morning this week I woke up to hear hair snapping because I didn't realise I had a strand stuck under my arm. That hasn't happened that noticeably before for some reason.

Ended up with about 10 hairs tangling up in the shower into such a tight ball I had to cut them off. Was a bit gutted about that because it was right at the front of my head where the hair is shortest anyway. Not quite sure how it happened, hair was full of conditioner at the time.

Yesterday I had my cat on my lap and my hair down and over my shoulder so it wouldn't get stuck behind my back and the chair. All of a sudden the cat jumped up and ran through the hair I had over my shoulder and I heard a few bits rip.

Hoping that hair accidents come in threes and that I will be good for a while now. So now I bet I need to S&D all over again. Been having my hair down a bit because I have trouble not putting it up too tightly and there's a thin spot at the front. I think I am going to have to try harder this coming week and put my hair up all the time again. *sigh*

Madora
January 31st, 2014, 09:49 AM
That must be an amazing experience! And it is always appreciated when you share your knowledge.
I wonder why more salons aren't trying to go this route. So many women do want their hair to grow and to be in best condition but simply do not know how. I feel it would be awesome to see salons that truly know how to care for hair and have stylist that educate you and help you get your hair goals.
I can say most stylists I have met simply do not understand hair care. Nor do they understand the products they sell and the services they offer. I am baffled by it as I would assume they woukd have a passion for what they do and imagine they would want to soak up knowledge on the subject.

My experience is most stylists are more worried about how you will look when you walk out the door as opposed to how you look 30days from now. So many times I see a cut that truly does not work for the hairs natural texture or the persons lifestyle. Do they really think people want to spend an hour on their hair styling a day? I think deep down a lot of women are wishing for wash and go yet don't know the cut that will take them there. And sadly a stylist who doesn't understand hair will never get them there. Good advise is golden and would go a long way for many.

Yes, a GM salon experience is fantastic (terribly biased here but it's true).

The reason there aren't more long hair related salons is because there is no money in it. Most people don't want long hair (for a variety of reasons). Takes too much time, makes me look "old", not up to date, not what so and so in Hollywood is wearing...and so forth.

There are good stylists out there that do know hair and listen to their clients' wishes...but that is not always the case, as you said. Many of the clients don't understand that some cuts require frequent touchups or reshaping..or whatever..and are dismayed that their cute cut of a month ago is looking not so cute...so back to the salon..and more money spent..to keep the style looking sharp.

We long hairs don't have to mess with that...and save $$$ into the bargain.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 09:56 AM
Thinking about damaging it is drive me a bit bonkers this week. It doesn't usually bother me quite this much. Had a very good S&D last weekend and had a few accidents this week.

One morning this week I woke up to hear hair snapping because I didn't realise I had a strand stuck under my arm. That hasn't happened that noticeably before for some reason.

Ended up with about 10 hairs tangling up in the shower into such a tight ball I had to cut them off. Was a bit gutted about that because it was right at the front of my head where the hair is shortest anyway. Not quite sure how it happened, hair was full of conditioner at the time.

Yesterday I had my cat on my lap and my hair down and over my shoulder so it wouldn't get stuck behind my back and the chair. All of a sudden the cat jumped up and ran through the hair I had over my shoulder and I heard a few bits rip.

Hoping that hair accidents come in threes and that I will be good for a while now. So now I bet I need to S&D all over again. Been having my hair down a bit because I have trouble not putting it up too tightly and there's a thin spot at the front. I think I am going to have to try harder this coming week and put my hair up all the time again. *sigh*

yikes. When it rains it pours. Here's to a better hair week! That kind of stuff happens to me in groups as well. If a printer breaks then my cell phone gets dropped in the pool and my computer dies. It's maddening.

Sending you a virtual lucky charm. I think 3 is plenty and you should be done with hair horrors for a while.

Reading your post finally made me understand protective hairstyles!

lazuliblue
January 31st, 2014, 10:05 AM
I'm worrying quite a bit about damage at the moment....it seems to have hit me in one big whack this week! (I'm sure there must be a deeper psychological reason for focusing on my hair but I don't know what it is...)

So this week I've bought quite a few hair toys which will allow me to wear my hair up more: a couple of octopus claw clips, some soft scrunchies and a pretty claw clip. So there are some benefits when it comes to worrying about hair protection :)

cathair
January 31st, 2014, 10:11 AM
Sending you a virtual lucky charm. I think 3 is plenty and you should be done with hair horrors for a while.

Thanks very much :) that is very much appreciated :flower: Things can only get better right? :)

Avenie
January 31st, 2014, 10:21 AM
I avoid it but I don't change my life much over it. I think that someone who has seen their hair damaged, either through bleach or breakage or something, is going to be much more likely to take protective measures and explore alternative methods and treatments than someone who has never suffered damage. Chances are a lot of people found this community due to googling a hair question or problem they wanted to solve, so there'll be a higher proportion of members who take steps to minimise damage or who treat a specific hair condition, whereas a more random sample might find that damage isn't so widespread.

I grew out my pixie a few years back but I left all the layers - it was messy, uneven and the ends, being only one layer's worth, were straggly. I used serums to smooth it, but I was rough on it and used elastics, so I had a lot of breakage. I hid them with the serums but I just cut it in the end, deeming long hair not to be for me. This time I intend to do a better job - no elastic breakages, for example. But my hair has never suffered from any of the more common issues like dryness or dye damage, nor do I have waves or a texture that needs control. I feel I don't have to worry too as much about product damage, so I'm lucky. I'll do what I can to prevent breakage in terms of accessories, but not to an extent I don't do things - I'll still need to take the kids swimming, for example, and walk in the wind and rain most days.

I'll never use flat irons, but my hair's straight anyway. It's fine and I imagine they'll just toast it.

walterSCAN
January 31st, 2014, 10:43 AM
I pretty much only worry about damage when my hair is matted because I haven't had time to take it down and detangle. I'm really entirely too lazy (and broke!) to do most of the other things that could damage my hair. I mostly just try not to think about my hair at all unless it's 'hair time'-- wash day, detangling session, S&D session, henna retouch, etc. None of which are very frequent.

Tigermama
January 31st, 2014, 10:44 AM
I worry about it a lot. I try to "do my best and forget the rest." Trimming on an every other month basis helps, but that is just me and my hair type. Lately the wood stove has been drying out my hair and skin horribly. I've been trying to dampen and oil it several times throughout the day to prevent the ends from shredding. So far so good, but I do expect some damage.

Chromis
January 31st, 2014, 11:05 AM
I don't need to worry about damage. All the things I do that make my hair fun and happy for me to have just happen to be rather protective as well! I *like* having my hair up. I *hate* tangles. Reading about sleep braids here and updos beyond jamming lots of bobby bins or damaging hair ties (and those stupid scrunchies always caught on my hair anyhow, no matter what fabric they were made from!) was not only better for my hair, but a lot more enjoyable. Yes, even before it got this long.

Just because you do things that happen to be good for your hair does not always mean you are fanatical about it! It also does not mean you spend have to spend time fussing or worrying. Not having snarls and tangles means that it is more fun to be able to put my hair up in different ways. I've never been interested in heat styling or backcombing or teasing. Sounds like a lot of work and it would probably just look like a rat's nest in the end anyhow on me. I like to go out and do stuff, not worry about my hairstyle getting out of place.

I've been seeing lots of these threads lately, but I think perhaps they are looking at this from a strange point of view. :shrug:

Sterlyn
January 31st, 2014, 11:38 AM
I don't worry too much about damage. I stopped doing the things that I think were really trashing my hair a while back. My previous routine was permanent dye, with 20 Vol developer and frequent touch ups; after washing, comb wet with brush, blast dry with the hair dryer on highest setting, (lot's of pulling and stretching with brush), then regularly use a curling iron on it, a professional one (needed it good and hot), watch steam/smoke puff from hair..... LOL my poor hair, no wonder it looked like a crazed bush much of the time.

My hair routine is now much nicer to my hair, and my hair seems much less angry:p. I don't worry about damage I might get from wearing it down or the use of a warm blow dryer (no brush, just finger comb). I wear my hair down about equal to the time I wear it up. I still have yet to find a split end, maybe those will come later, but I'll S &D to take care of it. One of the reasons I wanted to grow my hair out was to be able to wear it down and enjoy it. At this point I don't have any plans to grow it much longer than waist because I don't want it so long that I can't wear it down without getting caught on everything. *shrugs who knows I may change my mind as it grows, or I may find I can have it longer and still enjoy it down. Once my hair gets to a length that it's too much to wear down or it gets to be a burden to care for, wherever that happens to be I will probably start trimming it back. Don't get me wrong, I love and admire the super long lengths seen here, I just don't think it would be for me :)

chen bao jun
January 31st, 2014, 11:45 AM
I was not aware that my hair was damaged when I first joined LHC, nor was I aware that it was breaking off. I thought my terminal length was brastrap and I thought it naturally felt rough. Once I realized that my poor hair care practices were causing the shorter length and rough feeling (in my case, it was all mechanical damage, I had natural hair and wasn't doing heat or chemicals), I did go overboard with being protective. I have OCD, so that didn't help, i concentrated it all on my hair.

However, after two years, I don't worry about damage much anymore. I know what I am doing now doesn't cause damage and my hair has certainly been growing and feels very nice. so, what's to worry about? I am aware that I have coarse hair which doesn't damage easily--though I also have hypercurly hair which tends to be more fragile. Maybe they balance each other out? I've always liked to wear my hair up or back in any case, so don't think of updoes as 'not enjoying my hair'--i more think of hair being in the way and all over the place when its loose, which makes it something for special occasions for me. I enjoy my new more careful hair practices which have led to tangle free, easy to take care of hair. Anyway, its very little worry now (I do cringe when I hear a hair snap or get annoyed when I have to clip lots of ssks) and lots of enjoyment. I hope that answers the question.
I do still have OCD, but there are so many OTHER things to needlessly worry about. Unfortunately. But its good to have hair off the list. lol

Wosie
January 31st, 2014, 11:45 AM
I do worry, as I have a skin disease that easily worsens my hair's state if I'm not careful. I know I'm worrying way too much for my own good, though--I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder).
I try to calm myself down whenever I'm going through a particularly rough (itchy and scratchy) time and remind myself of the fact that I do have this skin disease, so it's OK and normal if it gets worse from time to time. It's OK if I lose some hair in the process, it's the disease's fault and I've tried so hard to find a regimen that works decently, that's all I can do. That's just how it is. These scratchy and hair loss-filled times still bring me down, when I've worked so hard to improve the quality.

I think I'm especially careful as I want my hair to grow long, and as my hair quality is already suffering from my skin disease I don't do anything that could further worsen its state (for me that means: colouring, hair drying, flat ironing, washing it with shampoo, wearing the hair loose at all times [like I used to], brushing it too often [this also aggravates the itch], etc).

ExpectoPatronum
January 31st, 2014, 12:20 PM
I worry about damage because I've realized that it is what keeps me from getting past BSL. I was someone who always wore my hair down and always flat ironed it. I've stopped the flat ironing and cut all the remaining damage off a few months ago. I've taken to wearing my hair up now because I really want to get past BSL. I left my hair alone for four years and it seriously did not get much longer than where I'm at now. This is all new to me so I'm sure once I protect my hair for longer, it will become second nature and I won't have to worry about it as much.

ErinLeigh
February 1st, 2014, 02:38 AM
Sometimes I find I like obsessing over things like hair during a certain period. Not daily but in stretches. I find it usually happens when something truly stressful is going on in my life. It is the lesser of the 2 evils of distraction so its my coping method. I have a very stressful life so for me its luxury to get to worry about myself and not the problems surrounding me. So one time it will be hair, then weight or something equally personal.

ErinLeigh
February 1st, 2014, 02:44 AM
I don't need to worry about damage. All the things I do that make my hair fun and happy for me to have just happen to be rather protective as well! I *like* having my hair up. I *hate* tangles. Reading about sleep braids here and updos beyond jamming lots of bobby bins or damaging hair ties (and those stupid scrunchies always caught on my hair anyhow, no matter what fabric they were made from!) was not only better for my hair, but a lot more enjoyable. Yes, even before it got this long.

Just because you do things that happen to be good for your hair does not always mean you are fanatical about it! It also does not mean you spend have to spend time fussing or worrying. Not having snarls and tangles means that it is more fun to be able to put my hair up in different ways. I've never been interested in heat styling or backcombing or teasing. Sounds like a lot of work and it would probably just look like a rat's nest in the end anyhow on me. I like to go out and do stuff, not worry about my hairstyle getting out of place.

I've been seeing lots of these threads lately, but I think perhaps they are looking at this from a strange point of view. :shrug:

Maybe a mental check to see if its caution or obsession? I think sometimes you truly don't know where you stand on something until you say it, see responses and then see " oh, ok..that is true..." or maybe "thank God I am normal and this is not a crisis" or whatever else.

I find threads to be more a pick you brain thing than anything..at least from what i see.
For instance for me..I started thinking I must not worry to much about it as I have done some mega damage over and over again and did not learn from the mistake as in.."oh don't do a chemical treatment your hair will fry. " I guess my line of thinking was if I cared or worried more it wouldn't have happened so many time. My new goal is more awareness so the cycle stops so here's to hoping.. but I still show up for my bleaching every 6-8 weeks so obviously I haven't quite caught up to the worry i should be having. I guess I feel I take risks.

When I say I want to enjoy hair I don't mean wearing it up or down. To me that's just style..unless the UP rules your life. I am referring to the posts such as posters who are very worried about going to an event and using heat or having to wear hair down for an occasion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those feelings or questions in my mind..Just reading those make me wonder if I am careless or content so thought I would see where I am on the barometer.
Hope that makes sense. I ramble at this hour of my work shift.

BYW is that a mural on a wall in your home? It is beautiful.

RileyJane
February 5th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Probably for about 2 years I was extremely cautious with it; the thought of dying it or using a brush made me wince. About 6 months ago I lost track of my regular routine and my hair did take a hit from it, but since then I've realized my hair is a lot stronger than it was 3-4 years ago and can handle the very occasional highlights(once or twice a year) as well as wearing it down for occasions. But I still do wear it up to protect it and have since jumped back onto my hair treatments. I plan to enjoy it once it's long but until then.. My routine or being careful with it has worked greatly as it has grown the fastest and healthiest it's ever been before I started dying it. But it is also fun to experiment with different updos and braids too :)

Chromis
February 5th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Maybe a mental check to see if its caution or obsession? I think sometimes you truly don't know where you stand on something until you say it, see responses and then see " oh, ok..that is true..." or maybe "thank God I am normal and this is not a crisis" or whatever else.

I find threads to be more a pick you brain thing than anything..at least from what i see.
For instance for me..I started thinking I must not worry to much about it as I have done some mega damage over and over again and did not learn from the mistake as in.."oh don't do a chemical treatment your hair will fry. " I guess my line of thinking was if I cared or worried more it wouldn't have happened so many time. My new goal is more awareness so the cycle stops so here's to hoping.. but I still show up for my bleaching every 6-8 weeks so obviously I haven't quite caught up to the worry i should be having. I guess I feel I take risks.

When I say I want to enjoy hair I don't mean wearing it up or down. To me that's just style..unless the UP rules your life. I am referring to the posts such as posters who are very worried about going to an event and using heat or having to wear hair down for an occasion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those feelings or questions in my mind..Just reading those make me wonder if I am careless or content so thought I would see where I am on the barometer.
Hope that makes sense. I ramble at this hour of my work shift.

BYW is that a mural on a wall in your home? It is beautiful.

Good catch! It is a wall mural from Banff National Park of Mirage Lake :)

I assume that even for the people who seem like they might be obsessing, it is just their personality. If it wasn't hair it would be something else. Hair seems relatively harmless at least!

ErinLeigh
February 5th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Good catch! It is a wall mural from Banff National Park of Mirage Lake :)

I assume that even for the people who seem like they might be obsessing, it is just their personality. If it wasn't hair it would be something else. Hair seems relatively harmless at least!

soo agree, hair is my escape. Something to think about when the real world is stressing me out.
That mural is GORGEOUS. It must be super relaxing to spend time in that room. It wowed me. :)

mamaherrera
February 5th, 2014, 07:52 PM
This is me exactly. Worrying is a coping method i believe, fear, as well. I've totally sat and worried about something stupid I do to my hair, like if my children's head massages pulled any hairs out, white hairs, etc. And I go from one topic to the next, and yes, if not hair one day, it's weight. Annoying to be like this.

Sometimes I find I like obsessing over things like hair during a certain period. Not daily but in stretches. I find it usually happens when something truly stressful is going on in my life. It is the lesser of the 2 evils of distraction so its my coping method. I have a very stressful life so for me its luxury to get to worry about myself and not the problems surrounding me. So one time it will be hair, then weight or something equally personal.

Maktub
February 5th, 2014, 07:52 PM
My pleasure and enjoyment of my hair comes from taking care of it, having it natural, seeing it improve and shine and be healthy. So I don't "miss" anything really from when I hated my curls, had it straighten, colored, etc. It is much less stress now and much more enjoyment than it was then. : )

Anyuta
February 5th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I worry about the damage now more than ever before - ever since the big chop. But on the contrary, the big chop took all the damage with it so should be nothing to worry about :D

But since I joined LHC I learned so many things from reading that I am now so much more conscious about my hair that I think about it every day. I stay in front of mirror trying to see it from different angles, move it from one side to another, taking pics and comparing.. I am wondering if I am becoming too paranoid about it. It will soon be 2 months since the big chop and I do see it becoming so much healthier! I don't regret the chop at all. I can see myself getting it to the length I want with my current routine. I sleep in cap and oil few times a week, stretch washes, avoid combing. Even before falling asleep I will at least once think about my hair, having it long and healthy. I am wondering how I will be treating my hair and whether I will be thinking about it this much when I reach my goal. As they say, it's not a destination, but the journey :D

Aderyn
February 5th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Honestly, I don't worry too much about damage. Then again, I kind of completely forget about my hair quite easily. Benign neglect, definitely.

I wear my hair down everyday and while I try to avoid most damage, it inevitably happens. My hair, though being on the finer side, is very resilient (No breakage, barely any split ends even though I haven't trimmed since May 2013, etc.) and still grows like a weed and has been able to put up with quite a bit of abuse. For the past year or so, I have been making an effort to minimize the mechanical damage from everyday experiences, and that combined with braiding it while sleeping has nearly eliminated the little breakage and few split ends I did get.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 5th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I just automatically have a routine for my hair care that is simple, non damaging and takes little time, so no I don't have to worry about damage.

pixldust
February 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I worry about damage far, far more than I used to. I wasn't particularly nice to my hair up until about 8 months ago, when I became serious about growing it out. I'm trying not to obsess over it now though :)

lapushka
February 6th, 2014, 04:15 PM

Never, as nothing is ever done to it that *is* damaging. Yes, we use a diffuser here, but it's on cold to warm so it's never "burning" the hair and I see no damage from it (this has been my routine for many many years). There's a big but here... You have to realize that if you want to dye, bleach, do all sorts of crazy things with it (heat, straightening treatments, etc.) that you will ultimately pay the price for it, in less length / breakage and bad ends.

meteor
February 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand, hair is like this single silk hat that you wear every single moment of your life (in extreme cold and heat, humidity and dryness...), so you need to be careful with it - you can't replace it overnight.

On the other hand, hair is pretty resilient. I am relaxed about my hair, because I used to have longer hair that was somehow in great condition, despite me brushing it roughly, blow-drying on high heat, never using conditioner, using hairspray and always wearing it loose or in ponytails. So I know you don't have to be ultra-gentle... it's just better if you are. I certainly wouldn't go back to those practices, because I found other quick and easy alternatives that give better long-term results.

I am a huge proponent of finding an easily maintainable, realistic routine, something you can maintain while traveling with no hair salons nearby, working overtime, seeing your favorite products discontinued, having limited budget, having several dependants and having other challenges... If it's too intricate and too much work, you'll slip, because long hair is a long-term commitment.

Ambystoma
February 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I worried some when I was growing it, but now that I'm maintaining and in good habits with a routine that works for me I'm far less precious about it. I worried more about mechanical damage when it was getting longer at a pace that outstripped my ability to handle it easily, but now I'm used to the length it's much easier to do stuff with without feeling like I'm fighting those "extra" inches.

It always stayed in really amazing condition when I kept it at MBL despite dyeing (dark with 10vol developer) every month, flatironing twice a week on high (yep shudder:, I turn that dial waaay down to low these days!) and wearing it loose almost constantly, so I figure this crop of undyed, rarely heatstyled, more gently handled BCL hair could probably cope with a lot.

Wisteria
February 6th, 2014, 10:13 PM
I only worry during combing and brushing. I try to be careful with my hair but sometimes I forget and just comb recklessly.

Venefica
February 7th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I am a bit of a fanatic about it, I try not to worry about damage but what can I do I love my hair and I want to take good care of it. Yeah I should not worry as much I am fully aware about that but yes I do worry about damage even when there is no reason to.

MissBubble
February 7th, 2014, 02:27 AM
My hair is fine and fragile so to avoid damage I never use heat to dry or style. I have only used 5-6 times the last 5 years.
In general, I am not over obsessed but the last months I try to be more careful with the products I use, I have minimized my routine and I try to wear up, at least when I am at home.
I work at home, too, so I used to spend many hours per day sitting on a chair with my loose hair rubbing against my hair unfriendly clothes and the back of the chair. I get nervous if this accidentally happens now!