PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Layers

Browneyedbelle9
January 31st, 2014, 12:26 AM
Quick question:

So I had my layers done for my boyfriend's sister's wedding in September 2012 and I started regularly trimming my hair from 2013 feb all the way to about Nov last year.

Each time I have asked her to not cut the layers, because I want my hair all the same length. It looks better to me and is a bit thicker.

But. as you can see in my profile pic it's length is a little weird- well it's not perfectly lined up.

My longest pieces touch my (ahem) nipple and that's the longest I've had my hair since highschool.

I don't want to chop it all off to one length, because the 'layers' are quite short (not to some) but they do not touch where the longer pieces do.

Underneath my hair there is a piece each side (hidden) which seems to be really unrully and shorter.

Is it okay for me to just grow and grow without evening up the bottom.

My mum and my sister and Nanna tell me to stop complaining because the ends look fine, but if I go to the hairdresser I'm worried they will talk me into cutting more off.

I want to just leave it alone, but my damage is quite high, but I'm not going to cut all my hair off and start again.

Does it REALLY look that bad- my friend (who used to be a hairdresser) said it's fine- but my 'hem' is not perfect.

I think it's called a fairy-tales hemming?

Any thoughts advice?

Can I just leave it alone?

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 04:46 AM
Layers are a pain when trying to grow aren't they? If you get them trimmed for damage you end up with MORE layers and the cycle continues.
Do what you feel comfortable with. Look at the damage and decide what needs to go and what needs to stay. If you want all to stay then my all means let it grow. There is nothing wrong with how it looks now. You have many options. You can microtrim the bottom layer and slowly let rest catch up. You can leave it be until desired length then trim..or you can take it day by day and see how things go..

You may be safest now with self trimming if you choose to trim if you trust yourself more than a stylist as some do go bananans when they see layers and farytale ends.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 05:00 AM
Personally I'd say: cut one inch or so to get rid of the damage. I guess this is the best thing you can do so the damage doesn't get worse. Maybe it's a bit of a pain, but in the end you'll be happy about it. But ofcourse that's your choice and like ErinLeigh said: whatever you feel comfortable with.

Browneyedbelle9
February 1st, 2014, 04:10 AM
Thanks xxxx

CurlMonster
February 1st, 2014, 04:25 AM
You could do some micro-trimming if you want to even up the ends and get rid of damage without losing any length. :) I am doing that myself and seeing great results. If you decide to micro-trim it is best to get some haircutting scissors and learn to self trim (otherwise you will be seeing your hairdresser constantly) but I think that's a good investment and will avoid any misunderstandings with hairdressers in the future.

cdonald2
February 1st, 2014, 02:28 PM
im working on growing out layers but i got frustrated and leveled it off. honestly, i would take an inch off the bottom, and trim the ends less than that (maybe lie.5 inch) and let it catch up if youre okay with staying at that length for a while.