PDA

View Full Version : What type of gel are you using, if any?

bmcfarland
January 30th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I am just wondering if anyone here uses hair gel, as it is recommended by the curly girl method. Yesterday was my first official "curly girl" day, but I've been doing co-wash for over a year now. Plus, I have cut off my access to the flat iron and high heat blow-dryer completely. My previous routine was to cowash, turbie towel for 30 minutes, blow dry, and straighten....Ouch...

I picked up Schwarzkopf's Got2B Kinkier spray gel. The spray gel seems to have worked pretty well today, but I just reread the ingredients and saw that it contains methylparaben, among a plethora of other weird ingredients that I do not understand. No cones or alcohols, though.

-Does anyone out there have a more simple form of gel to recommend (or one not as packed with weird chemicals, at least)?
-Do you even use/need a gel for your waves/curls? Au Naturale! :cool:
-What are you using for hair gel?

P.S. - I apologize for any weird termage I may have included. Scruffy (Mr. Kitty) is trying to sleep on my chest! He is always first priority. :) He gets jealous of technology, so I have to stop what I'm typing, pet him, then return to what I was doing for about five more seconds until he complains again.

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I am not a big fan of gels myself (I don't like how it tends to stiffen my hair), but the most natural options are:
- aloe vera gel,
- flaxseed gel,
- okra gel.

Also, check out the HALO rinse: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49898

bmcfarland
January 30th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for the link. This HALO rinse sounds very cool. :) Luckily, I did not experience too much stiffness with the Got2B gel (it's kind of a thin liquid). Have you used the rinse before?

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Yes, and I like it in summer - it keeps all flyaways at bay. I'm afraid to use it in winter (it's very dry where I live) because aloe and honey are strong humectants, so can dry out hair in low dew-points. But this applies to many gel-like products anyway.

bmcfarland
January 30th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Well, that is great news! My hair seems to become really poofy from frizz in the summertime. I am not familiar with dew points and how they affect the hair. That is something I will have to read up on! Thanks again :) :bounce:

DweamGoiL
January 30th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I use DevaCurl AnGel. I love it for my hair! I used to use Aloe and it wasn't as moisturizing for my hair.

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Well, that is great news! My hair seems to become really poofy from frizz in the summertime. I am not familiar with dew points and how they affect the hair. That is something I will have to read up on! Thanks again :) :bounce:
This is a really good read on humidity, dew-points and humectants:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/the-411-on-dew-points-humectants
Curly Girl Method relies a lot on this stuff, because curlies/wavies get more frizz/poof depending on humidity.
There is even an app that can inform you about dew-points on any given day.

Rio040113
January 31st, 2014, 08:56 AM
I'm not a wavy or a curly, I'm a 1a straighty BUT I love curling my hair (hello flexi rods/buns!) and I love Aubrey Organics ''Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturising Jelly'' (phew, that's quite a mouthful) :lol: My hair tends to get pretty frizzy and fluffy if I bun it for waves but with this it's really sleek and defined, without being weighed down or 'product-y' looking and my hair is super fine so that's pretty impressive. It doesn't leave my hair crunchy either, it leaves it super soft actually. It's slightly pricey I admit but I think it's worth it :D

SimplyViki
January 31st, 2014, 09:09 AM
I don't use one all that often, but I did buy a tub of this stuff because the ingredients looked friendly enough:
As I Am Smoothing Gel (http://www.sallybeauty.com/smoothing-gel/SBS-341208,default,pd.html)

It seems to be intended for natural kinky/curly hair, which is not my hair type at all, but then, I don't use it as intended either, I just smooth down flyaways once in a while.

Neecola
January 31st, 2014, 10:56 AM
I use flaxseed gel and love it (in very small doses) I also use a bit of aloe right before I braid/twist to keep the hair lined up.

MissBubble
January 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
I have stopped using gel. I have replaced it with coconut oil. Using a small amount controls my frizz and it also gives shape to my waves

queenieheather
January 31st, 2014, 03:29 PM
I have tried so many kinds of more natural gel for the curly girl method. The one I found to work the best (and is the cheapest) is to make your own out of plain gelatin and water. Just dissolve 1/2-1 tsp of plain gelatin in a cup of boiling or really hot water. Let it cool for a few and then put it in a spray bottle. I use a travel sized one for a fine mist. Then spray it on... It might take a few tries to see how much your hair likes. It doesnt feel like anythimg but water is in your hair when wet. Its a bit crunchy when fully dry but a light scrunch makes it all soft.If you put it in the fridge it turns into regular gel consistancy.

sipnsun
September 16th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Lately I've been using fresh aloe mixed with a little fenugreek oil. I make it in small batches and store it in the fridge. It doesn't give me as much hold as commercial gels but it works well enough.

lapushka
September 16th, 2020, 01:17 PM
Wow, blast from the past. :lol: ;)

I am currently using gel from Lidl, the "old" formula. They replaced them with 2 gels now with alcohol denat. high up on the ingredients' list, so nope. I'm glad I still have the old formula. It's a great gel. The generic Aldi one (the "extra strong" type only, others also contain alcohol denat.) is also great. And I have my Eco Styler too as a big big back up. :)

Deborah
September 16th, 2020, 03:34 PM
I occasionally use a tiny dab of aloe vera gel to try and tame the whispies near my face and neck.

Dark40
September 16th, 2020, 09:11 PM
I use Ampro Pro-Styl Gel. It's a protein gel. I try not to use it too often. Because, it's loaded with protein, and my hair is low porosity, and it doesn't need as much protein. Because, I hardly ever use any chemicals in it.

ExpectoPatronum
September 16th, 2020, 09:15 PM
I'm using Cantu Moisture Retention Gel. I do like it but it isn't my favorite gel. I don't really have a favorite.

Dark40
September 16th, 2020, 09:28 PM
My favorite gel is Let's Jam Gel. It's very moisturizing for the hair.