PDA

View Full Version : What type of gel are you using, if any?

bmcfarland
January 30th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I am just wondering if anyone here uses hair gel, as it is recommended by the curly girl method. Yesterday was my first official "curly girl" day, but I've been doing co-wash for over a year now. Plus, I have cut off my access to the flat iron and high heat blow-dryer completely. My previous routine was to cowash, turbie towel for 30 minutes, blow dry, and straighten....Ouch...

I picked up Schwarzkopf's Got2B Kinkier spray gel. The spray gel seems to have worked pretty well today, but I just reread the ingredients and saw that it contains methylparaben, among a plethora of other weird ingredients that I do not understand. No cones or alcohols, though.

-Does anyone out there have a more simple form of gel to recommend (or one not as packed with weird chemicals, at least)?
-Do you even use/need a gel for your waves/curls? Au Naturale! :cool:
-What are you using for hair gel?

P.S. - I apologize for any weird termage I may have included. Scruffy (Mr. Kitty) is trying to sleep on my chest! He is always first priority. :) He gets jealous of technology, so I have to stop what I'm typing, pet him, then return to what I was doing for about five more seconds until he complains again.

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I am not a big fan of gels myself (I don't like how it tends to stiffen my hair), but the most natural options are:
- aloe vera gel,
- flaxseed gel,
- okra gel.

Also, check out the HALO rinse: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49898

bmcfarland
January 30th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for the link. This HALO rinse sounds very cool. :) Luckily, I did not experience too much stiffness with the Got2B gel (it's kind of a thin liquid). Have you used the rinse before?

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Yes, and I like it in summer - it keeps all flyaways at bay. I'm afraid to use it in winter (it's very dry where I live) because aloe and honey are strong humectants, so can dry out hair in low dew-points. But this applies to many gel-like products anyway.

bmcfarland
January 30th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Well, that is great news! My hair seems to become really poofy from frizz in the summertime. I am not familiar with dew points and how they affect the hair. That is something I will have to read up on! Thanks again :) :bounce:

DweamGoiL
January 30th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I use DevaCurl AnGel. I love it for my hair! I used to use Aloe and it wasn't as moisturizing for my hair.

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Well, that is great news! My hair seems to become really poofy from frizz in the summertime. I am not familiar with dew points and how they affect the hair. That is something I will have to read up on! Thanks again :) :bounce:
This is a really good read on humidity, dew-points and humectants:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/the-411-on-dew-points-humectants
Curly Girl Method relies a lot on this stuff, because curlies/wavies get more frizz/poof depending on humidity.
There is even an app that can inform you about dew-points on any given day.

Rio040113
January 31st, 2014, 08:56 AM
I'm not a wavy or a curly, I'm a 1a straighty BUT I love curling my hair (hello flexi rods/buns!) and I love Aubrey Organics ''Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturising Jelly'' (phew, that's quite a mouthful) :lol: My hair tends to get pretty frizzy and fluffy if I bun it for waves but with this it's really sleek and defined, without being weighed down or 'product-y' looking and my hair is super fine so that's pretty impressive. It doesn't leave my hair crunchy either, it leaves it super soft actually. It's slightly pricey I admit but I think it's worth it :D

SimplyViki
January 31st, 2014, 09:09 AM
I don't use one all that often, but I did buy a tub of this stuff because the ingredients looked friendly enough:
As I Am Smoothing Gel (http://www.sallybeauty.com/smoothing-gel/SBS-341208,default,pd.html)

It seems to be intended for natural kinky/curly hair, which is not my hair type at all, but then, I don't use it as intended either, I just smooth down flyaways once in a while.

Neecola
January 31st, 2014, 10:56 AM
I use flaxseed gel and love it (in very small doses) I also use a bit of aloe right before I braid/twist to keep the hair lined up.

MissBubble
January 31st, 2014, 12:22 PM
I have stopped using gel. I have replaced it with coconut oil. Using a small amount controls my frizz and it also gives shape to my waves

queenieheather
January 31st, 2014, 03:29 PM
I have tried so many kinds of more natural gel for the curly girl method. The one I found to work the best (and is the cheapest) is to make your own out of plain gelatin and water. Just dissolve 1/2-1 tsp of plain gelatin in a cup of boiling or really hot water. Let it cool for a few and then put it in a spray bottle. I use a travel sized one for a fine mist. Then spray it on... It might take a few tries to see how much your hair likes. It doesnt feel like anythimg but water is in your hair when wet. Its a bit crunchy when fully dry but a light scrunch makes it all soft.If you put it in the fridge it turns into regular gel consistancy.