PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with Cute Girls' Hairstyles

Linguist
January 30th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I'm probably not the first to start a rant on this, but the way the woman in those videos manhandles her younger daughter's (? I assume) hair in particular makes me cringe. I still go on binges of watching these things, because I find the innovation fascinating--why this sudden surge now, after braiding has been around for so long?--but sometimes I have to click ahead to get to the point. Otherwise, well...watch if you dare. (This one's actually from Princess Hairstyles, not Cute Girls' Hairstyle, but my point stands.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwilIqH-5Ts

Monkshood
January 30th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I don't see any manhandling here? I handle my own hair more "roughly" than that... and I would still say I'm being gentle.

ravenreed
January 30th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I didn't watch the whole thing because it isn't a hairstyle that I have the patience to do on myself, even though it was very cute. I didn't see anything terrible happen to her hair. I have tied my hair in knots very carefully and it survived just fine.

sumidha
January 30th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Are you referring to mechanical damage or physical roughness when doing her daughter's hair? If it's the second, I think it might be a matter of perspective, I was watching one of her tutorials the other day wistfully thinking that my mom wasn't half as gentle as that when she did my hair as a kid, lol.

tigerlily.
January 31st, 2014, 12:00 AM
Are you referring to mechanical damage or physical roughness when doing her daughter's hair? If it's the second, I think it might be a matter of perspective, I was watching one of her tutorials the other day wistfully thinking that my mom wasn't half as gentle as that when she did my hair as a kid, lol.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember my mum would just rip through tangles. I always wanted my mum to do pretty styles with my hair, but she kept my hair short when I was young. I thought the mum in the video was very patient and gentle. Also I never seen that hairstyle before, it's very creative and to me it looks quite 60's.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 01:18 AM
everytime i watch these i get an image of Little princess rebelling at 13 and shaving her head :)
Mom is very talented I will admit. But yes there have been a few videos that gave me a headache watching but this one seems pretty tame

flemeister
January 31st, 2014, 01:19 AM
Looked like pretty gentle handling of the girl's hair to me. :)

THIS on the other hand, is rough manhandling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp6FqxWZ2uo

cat11
January 31st, 2014, 01:34 PM
I thought she was really gentle too. My mom made me cry brushing my hair lol. Look up a video of a little kid getting her hair pressed :/ That lady is so gentle. And she always talks about things she does to make things less painful/annoying to sleep with.

lapushka
January 31st, 2014, 01:38 PM
I don't see anything wrong here. I've been a subscriber of the channel (CGH) for a long time now, and I've never seen anything "wrong" happen! I don't even know what the heck you're talking about!

NuclearApple
January 31st, 2014, 01:44 PM
Well I saw some of cgh's videos and i've never seen strange things happen, the woman seems rather gentle with the hair she manages...I think you should watch flemeister's video to get a real idea of what "rough handling" means :p

leslissocool
January 31st, 2014, 01:44 PM
I don't see her handling her daughter's hair at all roughly, I've been to stylist that did worse on my hair.

Errant
January 31st, 2014, 01:45 PM
I can't see the video from work, but will try to remember to take a look from home. Like others have said, my mother was very rough on my hair. I was a tomboy, while my sister was a pageant princess, and my mother couldn't stand it. She would rip that brush through my hair taking half of it out by the root. If I cried, she'd spank me with the brush. I have a fear of cherry-wood paddle brushes to this day :o

heidi w.
January 31st, 2014, 01:46 PM
I have no idea why it's so important to you what other people you don't even know are doing with their hair. Let live; ignore it and it'll go away. This is not a problem that belongs to you, and it's frankly none of your business how others handle their hair. It's only your business what you do with your own hair. That's it.
heidi w.

NuclearApple
January 31st, 2014, 01:54 PM
I can't see the video from work, but will try to remember to take a look from home. Like others have said, my mother was very rough on my hair. I was a tomboy, while my sister was a pageant princess, and my mother couldn't stand it. She would rip that brush through my hair taking half of it out by the root. If I cried, she'd spank me with the brush. I have a fear of cherry-wood paddle brushes to this day :o

Man this is...I feel so sorry for you :( :( :(

BrightEyes
January 31st, 2014, 02:04 PM
I also don't see anything wrong with how she handled the girl's hair. I thought she was pretty gentle. TBH, sometimes I get impatient when detangling my daughter's fine thick hair and find myself not being as gentle as I should be. That's something I'm working on :) I thought the style turned out very cute.

alexis917
January 31st, 2014, 02:05 PM

I have a brother, not a sister, but my mother always tore through my hair/spanked me if I cried about it as well! That said, I don't care much for ball tipped brushes anyway.
If I ever have kids, I hope the Wet Brush is still around!

Madora
January 31st, 2014, 02:23 PM
My only thoughts were: what mom has time to do this on a weekday? Maybe for a special occasion. Also, I hope mom is careful taking out all those knots.

The little girl is lucky mom knows hairstyling. I never even had braids when I was a youngster.

Foxylocks
January 31st, 2014, 02:25 PM
Personally, I really like CGH blog. Very nice styles, and the handling of the hair seems quite gentle to me.

sumidha
January 31st, 2014, 02:27 PM
Jeez, that's really messed up!! It makes me super sad you guys had such bad experiences with your parents and your hair. I know I'm not a parent and shouldn't judge, but really, if dealing with my kids hair was that much of an issue, I'd just let them cut it short until they could take care of it themselves. I guess I'm big on respecting the individual's hair autonomy, lol.

leslissocool
January 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Actually I'm guilty of braiding (sometimes fancy) every single day for school.

I found the solution: I sit my kids to eat breakfast, and while they eat and watch a cartoon I am able to brush and braid. It doesn't take long at all.

I'm a parent, and my daughter has sensory issues with hair. She HATES it being brushed, she will sit and let me braid it just fine but the moment brushes come into the picture she has a hard time coping. Anyways, I've never hit her with a brush or anything. I use the TT, and a detangler, and even if she wiggles I brush it quick. She won't cry if i do it in the morning before school, but any other time she will say "no brushing" and I just respect that. For school her hair needs to be up and away from her face, but at home she can do as she pleases. It worked well with us, she respects my rule as long as I respect her dislike of brushing at home.

Her hair is a bit past BSL, so not super long I do trim it and keep it relatively short for my sake. She knows, if she wants to grow it more she needs to let me brush it.

ravenreed
January 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM
No one ever cared enough or had enough time to fuss over my hair. Must be nice to have a parent spend time with you like that.

woodswanderer
January 31st, 2014, 02:43 PM
This honestly makes me sad. This mom clearly lavishes attention on her child, but I see so many parents who don't even manage the bare minimum.At the school where I work, I often see girls come in with their hair tangled into mats....first thing in the morning. I'm guessing they don't get much parental attention or supervision.

My own mother was rough with my hair and I cried most days when she brushed and braided it. I suppose she didn't have a clue how to care for long hair having never had it herself. At least she cared enough to brush and braid it for me though.

leslissocool
January 31st, 2014, 03:07 PM
No one ever cared enough or had enough time to fuss over my hair. Must be nice to have a parent spend time with you like that.

That's the reason I do that with my daughter. Looking at old elemtary and middle school photos my hair was cut short (against my will) and my family didn't even buy conditioner. My hair was a mess, I learned to braid and style it myself.

There are some little girls who LOVE getting their hair done. My friends have a daughter with long hair who sat for 30 minutes as I did a very intricate style on hair years ago when I babysat for them. For her father's wedding, she had it completly curled and had real flower crowns and all and it lasted through.

When I was I kid, for my uncle's wedding I remember getting spanked for ripping the dress at the reception climbing a tree...

kaydana
January 31st, 2014, 03:34 PM
You call that manhandling? Really? Crikey, I don't think I've ever handled my hair that gently. I loved it when my mum used to braid my hair for me when I was little, and I can guarantee she wasn't that careful with it.

sarahthegemini
January 31st, 2014, 04:03 PM
I literally cannot see any problems?

cat11
January 31st, 2014, 04:17 PM

Her face when he starts tugging with that paddlebrush. Priceless. I'd be so mad if somebody started whacking through my hair like that now! Especially if I had african hair that breaks even easier. And he's a "celebrity stylist!" Where is that wide tooth comb he introduced at the beginning? "Hurts my hair to watch" moment.

jeanniet
January 31st, 2014, 04:19 PM
I honestly don't see the manhandling either. Considering the intricacy of the hairstyle, she's being very gentle. And her daughter must feel really special to have her mom willing to make her hair so pretty. I had pigtails or basic braids when I was a kid, and my mom wasn't particularly patient or gentle.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 04:22 PM

Ya that one gives me a headache. And I couldn't stop thinking..someone needs a video to learn a ponytail?

swearnsue
January 31st, 2014, 04:43 PM
Not only was the mother being gentler than mine ever was but she let her daughter eat a twinkie while getting her hair done!

Good grief, now I'm craving a darn twinkie and didn't they stop making them???

ravenreed
January 31st, 2014, 06:26 PM
They are back again. Not to enable you to eat the dietary equivalent of crack or anything! :p

Not only was the mother being gentler than mine ever was but she let her daughter eat a twinkie while getting her hair done!

ravenreed
January 31st, 2014, 06:28 PM
I hope your daughter looks back on that time as an adult and appreciates it. I think that any time we spend bonding with our kids like that, no matter what the activity as long as both enjoy it, is a good thing!

That's the reason I do that with my daughter. Looking at old elemtary and middle school photos my hair was cut short (against my will) and my family didn't even buy conditioner. My hair was a mess, I learned to braid and style it myself.

There are some little girls who LOVE getting their hair done. My friends have a daughter with long hair who sat for 30 minutes as I did a very intricate style on hair years ago when I babysat for them. For her father's wedding, she had it completly curled and had real flower crowns and all and it lasted through.

When I was I kid, for my uncle's wedding I remember getting spanked for ripping the dress at the reception climbing a tree...

truepeacenik
January 31st, 2014, 07:03 PM

Twinkie? That is child abuse right there.
Suggested reading, Twinkie, Deconstructed, by Steve Ettinger.

jeanniet
January 31st, 2014, 07:48 PM

Bwahaha, maybe the Twinkie is the abusive part! :p

ETA: Yeah, maybe I should read all the way to the bottom before I post. truepeacenik beat me to it. My mother very meanly would not let us have Twinkies or any of that Hostess junk that all the other kids had in their lunches. Although once I did get a pack of the cupcakes after I got hit in the head with a chunk of 2x4 (kids playing, flying debris--it was the 60s and no one supervised kids).

neko_kawaii
January 31st, 2014, 08:00 PM
This honestly makes me sad. This mom clearly lavishes attention on her child, but I see so many parents who don't even manage the bare minimum.At the school where I work, I often see girls come in with their hair tangled into mats....first thing in the morning. I'm guessing they don't get much parental attention or supervision.

My own mother was rough with my hair and I cried most days when she brushed and braided it. I suppose she didn't have a clue how to care for long hair having never had it herself. At least she cared enough to brush and braid it for me though.

You would have misunderstood my mother if you had seen my unbrushed hair. I did not want my hair messed with and she let me do as I liked with it. She lavished attention on me in many other ways that would not have been apparent in my appearance.

woodswanderer
January 31st, 2014, 09:01 PM
Sorry if I offended.

Hatsune Miku
January 31st, 2014, 09:32 PM
I'm going to join the my-mother-always-made-me-cry-when-detangling group XD
When I was really young, I didn't even really know that brushes were an option. My mother would detangle (RIP THROUGH!) my hair with a plastic fine-toothed comb every day.

The horror...

neko_kawaii
January 31st, 2014, 09:43 PM
Sorry if I offended.

I find the assumption that motherly love is reflected in the appearance of daughters highly amusing. No offense at all!

cathair
January 31st, 2014, 10:20 PM
Suppose I should own up. I used to cry every time the hair brush came out too, wouldn't let my Mum brush it. I am not sure detangling spray existed back then. I am told I had a permanent knot in the back of my hair until I was about 5 and had a boys haircut I guess because of it. Which oddly, I was very happy with and insisted that everyone call me by a boys name. I thought most kids didn't like having their hair brushed *shrugs*

truepeacenik
January 31st, 2014, 10:23 PM
Let me just say that if it were not for Tame, a detangling spray, my mother could have been jailed for abuse because of my howls of pain. That woman is efficient!

AspenSong
January 31st, 2014, 10:43 PM
I thought she seemed very gentle, IMO. I know my mother was not a gentle hair detangler at all. However my mother was also very impatient and not much of a "hair" person anyway, she could do a beautiful french braid though when I begged and begged for one. lol. I loved when she'd braid my hair like that - even sitting through the tangle yanking - because when she did and I went and played, I had no tangles in the evening before bed. :)

Kate199023
February 1st, 2014, 01:11 AM
lol my mom did the same thing. Heck I did that with my hair myself till not long ago.

DancingQueen
February 1st, 2014, 01:40 AM

I may not be a rican american, but I would never let that guy near my hair. He is way too rough with it, if he treated my hair like that, half of it would break off. He doesn't seem to get the concept, that curly hair goes a little wild because you comb it..

chen bao jun
February 1st, 2014, 07:52 AM
Sadly, Dancing Queen, if you were of African heritage, you probably would think that was normal. That guy was not rough compared with hairdressers I have had deal with my hair. It's very interesting to look at video of most people with the 3c-4c hairtypes doing their OWN hair. Antique lace? Let me just say that's not what happens and I was amazed when I first saw LHC videos with white women treating their hair as if they LIKED it. I have learned from that how to be gentle with my hair.

A huge part of the problem was that 'styling' to the guy (and to most people with this hairtype) obviously means getting rid of every vestige of a curl whether by chemical, heat OR mechanical means. That's what 'detangling' clearly translates to. I've been much happier since I stopped 'detangling' my hair and went to gentle finger-combing, always with product in.

But the word is getting out.

As for moms and hair--I give my mom a break about that one nowadays--I was never a mom with girls but having had kids I can see how having tons of things to do like putting food on the table, getting homework done, driving everybody around, keepting the house at least clean enough to be fairly germ-free, getting everyone to the dr. etc etc MIGHT make it so that you didn't have a lot of time to comb your daughters hair as gently as she wanted you to. And that you might even (horrors!) cut it off in the interests of convenience because you were doing your best to take care of EVERYONE in the house. My mom wasn't the greatest with my hair but she so had no time for herself, that her own was kept under a wig--heck, she hardly had time to get 5 or 6 hours SLEEP with four kids, a husband, a house and a job...

Unicorn
February 1st, 2014, 08:08 AM
Ya that one gives me a headache. And I couldn't stop thinking..someone needs a video to learn a ponytail?

That was my main thought. :confused:

Unicorn

Sterlyn
February 1st, 2014, 09:22 AM

That was my main thought. :confused:

Unicorn

This^^. Made my head hurt to watch him and I was doing ponytails on my own hair when I was 5 years old, lol that was long before video instruction.

I couldn't help but think that it would have been much easier to fashion a simple updo that would have showcased all that gorgeous curl she had, instead of trying to decimate it....

Also to Linguist, I've watched several of Cute girls video's and honestly she seems fairly gentle for all the handling she does, not much pulling or yanking seems to be involved. But everyone can see things differently:)

Night_Kitten
February 1st, 2014, 10:49 AM
When I was a kid my mom used to do my hair every morning, gently combing it and braiding it into a french braid, a crown braid or milkmaid braids (and I'm sure if there was internet and you-tube back then the variety of styles would have been much larger) :crush: I have great memories of that time, so to the moms who commented about doing their daughter's hair as extra mother-daughter time, it really is something the kids will remember when they grow up :)

When I was about 9 years old my mom had to change jobs, and had to leave the house really early in the morning for the new job, so my hair was cut into a bob I could comb and take care of myself :(