PDA

View Full Version : Experimentalist to Minimalist - anyone done it?

Loviatar
January 30th, 2014, 06:17 PM
When I joined LHC in 2005 ( and was constantly trashing my hair with bleach), I was both a serious and serial experimenter, and a total pack rat. Anything that might improve my hair was fair game. I threw myself into the worlds of SMT, oils, cassia, henna, indigo, amla, molasses, herb tea rinses, mineral oil, butters, honey, baking soda, aloe gel, shampoo bars, ACV, CO, CWC, water only... The list goes on. I never megadosed on vitamins and never tried no-water or Monistat. But pretty much everything else was done at least once.

Since last March when I decided to pixie my poor absurd and abused hair and ignore it til it became a bob, I've not had the money to experiment. It's helped that I couldn't access LHC for over a year, as I was depressed (for non hair reasons) and hair-obsessive. I decided to try CV shampoo bars while my hair was so short. I had a few to use up which I had bought a couple of years previously. They had never worked for me with dyed or bleached hair.

I've now been using bars 95% of the time for the past year. I wasn't expecting major growth as my diet is lousy and I've not been well. But I love bars, my hair feels and looks great, and my "must try this" experimenter's soul has been pretty much broken, for which I'm glad. I wash with bars and rinse with citric acid and add Panacea. Done. I'd like to try catnip tea, and I like cassia still. If I'm really short on time but need to wash my hair, I CO, but it's rare.

The problem is that I have 25 bottles of conditioner under the sink in the press; 9 boxes of henna in the freezer; bottles of oil, dye, and Elumen in the bathroom; pre-LHC styling products and 8 tubes of hair mask in the press... It goes on. UK charity shops don't seem to want to take beauty products, so I guess I'm going to be using up my conditioners slooooowly for a very long time! I see a lot of weekly SMTs in my future.

Has anyone else switched from the "try Everything!!" Camp to the Minimalist brigade? Or vice versa? How did you do it and what made you change?

MissHoney
January 30th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I am new, I am so afraid to try anything yet. I'm more researcher. Read and ask, and if I am not satisfied, I avoid change. My hair is horrible, but I still worry too much to try. So most likely I am minimalist. I am minimalist in most other things I do.

hairpleasegrow
January 30th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Loviatar I don't have much input to your question as I am very new and I am not at my goal length or hair quality.

I just wanted to say I am alot like you were as you described in 2005. I'm constantly trying things with my hair since becoming a new member in December.

In all honesty I find I am getting a bit obsessed with my hair . I am an obsessive type of person. For example I constantly look at it in the mirror, analyzing my roots trying to assess how much my hair has grown since Dec 1. It is really silly i know but I can't help it. A watched pot never boils so they say.

I desperately want long BSL hair (which is considered short or short-ish compared to many LHC members but I think it is long) and I had to chop off about 5 inches recently so I'm hovering APL. My hair is chemically damaged I think that is my main problem.

I am trying catnip tea tonight (it is steeping now) , I am probably going to try shampoo bars but I want to finish the product I have now before buying anything else.

I am considering benign neglect, i think it will help. I think at some point I need to take a few ideas I learned here and only check in at LHC from time to time. Is it just me or does the LHC get addicting lol. And when I come on the LHC I get very envious of all the other beautiful hair , I had a picture up but I took it down because my hair is so pathetic compared to all beautiful hair on LHC.

I am at least 8 months away from my goal length and it will be a long 8 months if I keep obsessing over my hair growth . Anyways sorry I didn't have much to contribute to your question but just saying in a long way i relate to you when you first started :)

SimplyViki
January 30th, 2014, 07:56 PM
I guess that might sort of be me? I've been absent for some time in part because I've just been bored of the whole OMG SO MANY THINGS TO TRY thing. :shrug: Now I pretty much just shampoo and condition my hair. Whatever shampoo/conditioner catches my fancy, currently it's Lush bars and some Pantene (I think?) supposedly-morrocan-oil conditioner. Maybe some coconut oil before or after a wash if I'm feeling motivated, maybe a silicone serum. My hair's reasonably happy. It's got some splits, but I'm not really that concerned about that.

ETA: Though I did receive some Nightblooming goodies in the mail today, so I'll probably be playing with those soon.

Indigo Girl
January 30th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Yep, I've done it, same order as you, Lovi. I didn't try as much as you did, but I did experiment a lot. I never did Monistat or SMTs. I've always wanted to try soapnuts, but I haven't done that yet - did you ever try it? I never wanted to stay long in the experimentation phase.

Because my hair is pretty quick to let me know what it likes and what it doesn't like, I figured out what worked for me relatively quickly so I didn't spend too long in the experimentation phase. I think I've hit a happy medium with a minimalist lean, which is what I like; I'm more of a minimalist at heart (although my hair toy collection would beg to disagree). Biolage conditioning balm, coconut oil, ACV, and cassia are still my main staples. Combine that with a certain amount of benign neglect, and it works wonders for my hair.

And I just noticed we're join twins! We both joined in Nov 2005. :bluesmile

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I kind of go back and forth, depending on how busy I am.
Benign neglect does work and I generally recommend it, unless one has very damaged hair, when TLC for at least a couple months is definitely better.

sarahthegemini
January 31st, 2014, 02:33 AM
I was a huge product junkie when I first joined, and I definitely experimented a lot. Now though, my routine is so simple. I think it's a combo of: finding what works, being too lazy for a high maintenance regime and realising that simplicity is best that helped me to get over my phase and stop buying and hoarding stuff.

Hypnotica
January 31st, 2014, 02:48 AM
I was obsessed with updos more then products, but yes. My experimentalist spirit broke quickly product wise as my hair do not want pampering, it wants very little and to be left alone pretty much.

(I can help you with your stashing problem though ;) )

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:13 AM
I have always been a product junkie but the things I started doing when I started here was no cones, clarify, SMT (the bomb)and different oils (found a love for avocado, coconut and hemp oil)
I had only used olive oil prior to here. My basic routine is the same. Wash, condition, some type of leave in or finisher..but i did add prepoo (that started a few weeks before finding this place though)
I still use a different shampoo/conditioner combination each wash as before so that hasn't changed either but i got good product recommendations so stash grew :/

Since I joined here I do know what products i prefer and what works best so yes I too have a TON of products I no longer need and do not know what to do with so I relate very well to that. I have oils and shampoo and conditioners that i found do not work and I have no clue what to do with them.

I was super obsessed first month here about learning things, but didn't try anything different except what was mentioned above plus new S/C's and those were such a success luckily I didn't need to go further. My obsession first month was because that was the month the keratin damage happened so I was entrenched with wanting knowledge about what causes damage and what helps..but I was to lazy to go beyond the basics and the damage disappeared after a few tweaks so I missed all the fun stuff like no color, shampoo bars, NW/SO, WO, teas, soapnuts, butters, stretching washes, egg washes, baking soda, henna, cassia, amla, buxus, coffee rinses, monistat, scalp massages, biotin, no trims, hair up challenges etc. I did however add to my already ridiculous collection of hair products and went way overboard with that so yes i went extreme to minimalist mindset in that way as now I find it embarrassing to have so many products in the house.

I find I visit here and post just because I found I like discuss all things hair related and I like the people here. I love reading all the posts. It keeps me company during my very long 12 hour shifts in which i work completely alone so it feels like I have "company" but not much has changed in my world except having way to many products I no longer need and do not know what to do with.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 05:19 AM
I'm in my transition period, lol. Tried a lot too: cones, no cones, SLS, no SLS, shampoo, CO, WO, dry shampoo, masks, a lot of oils, ACV rinses, updo's, ketylo's, hair forks, vitamins, stretching washes, ... On a certain moment you've tried a lot and you know what works and what doesn't work. And you stick with what works, which is happening right now. No cones or SLS, once a week shampoo, once a week CO. Heavy oiling once a week with avocado or coconut oil, leave in with jojoba oil when needed. Updo's everyday with ketylo's or hair forks.

Still I experiment a bit, but in a different way :p I'm trying to eat really healthy. I'm curious about how that works.

XcaliburGirl
January 31st, 2014, 06:06 AM
I was in the minimalist camp before joining LHC. After joining, and also frequenting the Naturally Curly forum, I went a bit crazy with the experimenting as well. I didn't try everything, but as someone who used to do shampoo, condition, put it up, it was a lot.

Eventually, it just was too much work. I found a shampoo and a conditioner that works for me and I am pretty much back to my old routine.

MissBubble
January 31st, 2014, 06:43 AM
I think my experiment period is over. I had to go through it as I changed my hair color and I will have to chemically dye it more often.
I have tried various products, I have seen what routine works the best and I have also embraced some things that I can't change in my hair.
Today is the day of my last buys of new products to test, just a conditioner and an oil. I have decided it a few days ago.

The list of products will never end, it is not the same with my money though! I'll stick to a routine till my hair needs a different one.

Zebra Fish
January 31st, 2014, 08:03 AM
I used to try something new here and there, but I would only try 1 thing at a time for a while. Just once I did the mistake to try 3 or 4 things in a short while (like a month) which resulted in flakes (1st time had them). And it took me few months then to realize what it was (CO wash). So now I am on a minimalist routine + 1 new thing in a longer while if I want to try it.

Katrine
January 31st, 2014, 09:24 AM
I came back to LHC last summer after a sabbatical and was definitely in experimental mode. Its gotten a lot better as I've discovered what works for me and what doesn't. It was helpful though because I tried a couple things in a different way that had previously not worked but found that they do work now. I also discovered that it seems to work best for my scalp/hair to rotate different methods. I have, however, been dreaming of having a minimalist routine someday.

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 10:15 AM
I came back to LHC last summer after a sabbatical and was definitely in experimental mode. Its gotten a lot better as I've discovered what works for me and what doesn't. It was helpful though because I tried a couple things in a different way that had previously not worked but found that they do work now. I also discovered that it seems to work best for my scalp/hair to rotate different methods. I have, however, been dreaming of having a minimalist routine someday.

I rotate too so I can never be a true hair minimalist as I want to be. I dream of it too.
I do agree about what you said about doing things in a different way. The smallest tweaks make the biggest changes for me.

Personally I think its cool people jump in, have fun and try things. Life is about experimenting so no shame in it. I do like seeing that everyone found their routine tho. I remember when I came here I thought I had no routine and I was stressed about it..then I realized I did have a routine. It was called wash/condition/style. Lol
i thought there must be some magic secret.
I think it is very tempting to want to try new things. Why not? The suggestions all sound so heavenly. Wash hair with tea, dying hair with herbs, pouring honey on head, using only miracle water. Its sounds earthy and pure. Sometimes just the idea of it is so catchy.
I mean this seriously. there are some awesome ideas around here and great heads of hair so who wouldn't be tempted to try a lot of things. I can see how it is can happen. Id I weren't time pressed (and lazy) I would be, hands down, the one went waaaay over the edge and tried everything in one day.

AspenSong
January 31st, 2014, 11:02 AM
Me!
I've gone through it all with my hair. I went from having long hair, to several years of haircuts and lots of dye (Black, pink, blonde, strawberry blonde, browns, blue streaks, bleach...you name it). And along the dye road, I tried every product I could find I think, I had like 8 serums that were different leave ins!
Then I got on here when I started to grow my hair out and did all the experimenting. Monistat (did help my growth), Tons of Biotin, etc..etc.. Only thing I haven't tried are shampoo bars yet, and never tried WO either. But that's about it. I've dipped into anything just about that I've found on the board otherwise and tried it.

Now I'm much more calm I think on my stuff. I wash, condition, do a clarify wash here and there, do my oiling and a cassia/henna treatment occasionally for conditioning and shine. I do currently dip dye my ends with Manic Panic for fun. And I'm going to try catnip rinses also. But I'm not nearly as bad as I was and I really think it's just because a lot of my experimenting, ended up being about what works best for my hair and I finally think I have it mostly figured out and that's what changed it for me.

ExpectoPatronum
January 31st, 2014, 12:06 PM
I feel I'm on the tail end of the experimenting phase. I've finally started getting the hair that I want and I'm fine-tuning how I do it. I've learned that avocado oil is the one oil that my hair actually absorbs. I've learned my scalp isn't super picky with shampoo, but that it HATES conditioner anywhere near it. I've found the perfect conditioner. Sleep caps have been a god send for the breakage I was always getting from tossing and turning. Rosemary tea as a spritz has added lots of shine and softness to my hair. I'm also experimenting now with black tea as a rinse to help decrease my shedding. So far, so good.

Thanks to my experimenting phase, I've been able to go from having dull frizzy hair that would split within two weeks of me cutting it, to having soft, shiny hair that can go four months (and counting!) with only S&D every once in a blue moon. I feel the experimentation phase is great for people who are new to caring for hair properly as it really teaches us how to listen to both our hair and our scalps. Also, as someone of a more scientific mind, I like doing experiments :P

furnival
January 31st, 2014, 02:10 PM
I wonder if most people go through similar phases after discovering LHC?

A theoretical timeline might look something like this:

0-6 months:
•Becoming slightly obsessive about hair
•Trying far too many products/ routines at once
•Measuring frantically and far too regularly
•Becoming convinced your hair grows exceptionally slowly/ not at all

6-12 months:
•Remaining slightly obsessed
•Beginning to learn what products/ routines work for you
•Measuring regularly
•Beginning to realise your hair is actually growing

1-2 years:
•Using tried & tested products/ routines but still experimenting
•Occasionally measuring
•Noticing a tangible difference in the length/ condition of your hair

2-4 years:
•The slight obsession has melded with your personality and become a part of you
•Adopting a more minimalist routine
•Forgetting to measure at all
•Suddenly finding your hair is long enough to get caught in your bumcrack

I can't offer any more; that's as far as I've got! :p

Foxylocks
January 31st, 2014, 02:18 PM
I used to experiment. I no longer do that because I soon found that a) the experiments have no effect or b) they are a complete failure. Now I think it is a waste of time and money to put things that aren't shampoo or conditioner on my hair. Just my experience; my hair prefers to be left alone.

SkyChild
January 31st, 2014, 03:03 PM
I've tried a lot and got fed up. I'm pretty much sticking with whatever works just now. Colour experimentation has left it's mark on me though. I have a lovely old fashioned hatbox that is full of box hairdyes - ginger, blue and two types of blonde. Also half a LUSH henna block.

I did throw out nearly all of my products that I'd tried once and never used again. I only kept ones that I still use and know work.

Teazel
January 31st, 2014, 10:44 PM
I went through the product phase (my cupboards harbour all kinds of oils and... things), then I went through the style phase: that was fun, I learned lots of buns & braids, but all that handling inevitably causes damage (to my hair type, anyway) so I don't play with it much anymore. It's nice to have some cool updos up my sleeve when I need them, though, and of course I rely heavily on a few for everyday wear.

I think that's the LHC experience. You learn, you try things out, you find out what works for you and your hair and sooner or later settle into some version of benign neglect.

Michiru
January 31st, 2014, 10:50 PM
I haven't read this yet but I know it will be interesting. Not only do I experiment but I am a product junky. I hope to one day have just 3 well loved things in my shower.

spidermom
January 31st, 2014, 11:10 PM
I wasn't as much of an experimenter as you, Lovi, but I'm no longer interested in experimenting at all. I don't care how many people proclaim something they're using is the holy grail of fast hair growth and health, I'll keep using what I'm using and doing what I do - no more no less.

Ocelan
February 1st, 2014, 12:18 AM
I think I was kind of an experimenter in the beginning. I didn't quite experiment as much as you did or atleast I kept the volumes of products bought very small, just to be able to test them out so I managed to run out of them while I was still experimenting or used them up in other things. Mainly I experimented with oils and some natural remedies like herbs in my ACV rinse. I came to the conclusion that my hair doesn't really do well with oils and that the herbal rinse was too much of a hassle for me to make and store. It also didn't make much of a difference for my hair. I also tried cassia once, beer rinses, egg washes (which turned out to be quite nice but I disliked the leftover smell and I felt it was a waste of a good egg), SMT's I still sometimes do when my hair feels extra awful. I also didn't do monistat or megadoses of vitamins.

Now I just CO wash or sometimes CWC if I feel like it, twice a week. Then I finish with ACV rinse and sometimes add some more of my light conditioner to my ends. No more hassle and only 4 bottles of products including the ACV. I am sure at some point I will try something after a terribly long time of considering it, but I would say I am now set in my ways and quite minimalist.

I think it's good to experiment as long as it's not doing damage and if it helps you find out what works. Of course if you notice what you were doing at first was the best routine for you all along then it may feel like a waste, but atleast then you'll know there isn't something that is even better for you out there.

ErinLeigh
February 1st, 2014, 01:20 AM
I feel I'm on the tail end of the experimenting phase. I've finally started getting the hair that I want and I'm fine-tuning how I do it. I've learned that avocado oil is the one oil that my hair actually absorbs. I've learned my scalp isn't super picky with shampoo, but that it HATES conditioner anywhere near it. I've found the perfect conditioner. Sleep caps have been a god send for the breakage I was always getting from tossing and turning. Rosemary tea as a spritz has added lots of shine and softness to my hair. I'm also experimenting now with black tea as a rinse to help decrease my shedding. So far, so good.

Thanks to my experimenting phase, I've been able to go from having dull frizzy hair that would split within two weeks of me cutting it, to having soft, shiny hair that can go four months (and counting!) with only S&D every once in a blue moon. I feel the experimentation phase is great for people who are new to caring for hair properly as it really teaches us how to listen to both our hair and our scalps. Also, as someone of a more scientific mind, I like doing experiments :P

I like this response. It is true really. You try things, you learn, you really start thinking and analyzing what works and before you know it you like your hair and you feel content and settled.

XcaliburGirl
February 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
I wonder if most people go through similar phases after discovering LHC?

A theoretical timeline might look something like this:

0-6 months:
•Becoming slightly obsessive about hair
•Trying far too many products/ routines at once
•Measuring frantically and far too regularly
•Becoming convinced your hair grows exceptionally slowly/ not at all

6-12 months:
•Beginning to learn what products/ routines work for you
•Measuring regularly
•Beginning to realise your hair is actually growing

1-2 years:
•Using tried & tested products/ routines but still experimenting
•Occasionally measuring
•Noticing a tangible difference in the length/ condition of your hair

2-4 years:
•The slight obsession has melded with your personality and become a part of you
•Adopting a more minimalist routine
•Forgetting to measure at all
•Suddenly finding your hair is long enough to get caught in your bumcrack

I can't offer any more; that's as far as I've got! :p
This ring true to me...well, except for the "slightly obsessed" part. :wacko:

divinedobbie
February 13th, 2014, 12:20 AM
I've only been on LHC for a month but I can relate somewhat. I went through an evil dye/heat/chemical phase a few years ago. I became obsessed with getting my hair healthy again. Tried the natural way first - eggs, mayonnaise, EVOO, avocado, you name it. Next, fancy salon shampoos, conditioners, keratin treatments, deep conditioners, leave ins, serums, sprays. I was kindly informed of "buildup" by my hairdresser and went clarify-crazy. I finally started going back the natural way doing short lived experimenting with ACV, vitamins and different oils which lead me to LHC.

I've given away most of my hairspray, mousse, and heat protectant collection but I'm left with dozens of so called miracle prodicts. I've started sorting and gifting it to friends and family too though :D.

I really love reading about all the cool interesting experiments on LHC but the only new things I've tried is CO and coconut oil both of which I tossed out (might give coconut oil a second chance though...) and I'm back to S&C. The only difference is instead of letting my hair roam loose, I try and bun or braid now but I'm soo not into experimenting with updo's. I still have a few things I want to try one day like cassia and catnip but I'm no longer in the days where I'd read about monistat, castor oil, or megatek and run to the nearest store. I just sleep on it and see the beauty in benign neglect again:D. I'm still obsessive about all the damage, how to prevent/stop it and whether to chop it off but when (if?) I get rid of that I see myself living a minimalistic lifestyle.

I'm sorry for the long post, I ALWAYS get carried away. If it was my way, it'd be double the length but I try and edit out at least half :lol:

monsoonstorm
February 13th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Hrm...

I didn't go wild experimenting wise. I was very limited in what I could access due to where I was living, so my first "experiment" was coconut oil. It was wonderful at first, but then my hair disintegrated into a protein overloaded mess and coconut oil was a no go. (At this point I was still using salon dye/treatments). I always wanted to try henna, but didn't want to try importing it incase it got nabbed, so stuck to salon dye. My last dye was the week before I left that country and at that point my hair was a tangled dry horrible mess.

I got back and I basically ignored it for 3 months. Then I finally tried henna (love it). I've experimented a bit with oils since then, but that doesn't bother me so much because whatever doesn't work on my hair I use for cooking. I ordered a bar of shampoo with one of my henna batches but didn't like it. I've tried a few different sulphate free shampoos, however, I've found that my hair (at the minute) looks/feels best with L'Oreal Everpure (The pink one). I don't know what's in it that my hair likes, nor do I really care too much, it works and that's all that matters. The other shampoo I always keep in is Joico K-pak for clarifying every now and again.

Other than that, Nightblooming's Panacea is good for when my hair is being stupid. I've found that small changes in my products can cause major issues with my hair, probably due to all of the dye damage I am trying to grow out, so I tend to stick with what works.

I don't measure at all, my main focus now is on growing out the old dye. It will happen eventually. I know my hair is growing because I need to keep putting henna on my roots! That's all of the reassurance I need in that department. As it grows I occasionally trim some more of the awful hair off so my length isn't changing drastically.

Hair toys, however, is a different matter entirely...

Perhaps that's the effect of LHC... people either become product junkies or toy junkies! :whistle:

ositarosita
February 14th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I have learned that I go through experimental phases. For instance I go through about 10 types of coney serums but once I find 1 or 2 that work perfectly I'm done with the experimentation in that department. So I have finished my leave in/ detangler experimentation (found the one), same with my serums (found 2), shampoos (found both clarifier and chelator), found my rinse out conditioner and now the only things I'm really experimenting with are CO wash conditioners, deep conditioners, toner and I continue to rotate my rinse out conditioners.

I'm not a hair toy girl (my hair spits them out) . Slowly but surely I am stopping my experimentation 1 category at a time

hairpleasegrow
February 14th, 2014, 11:05 PM
I was pretty obsessive about the LHC when I first started. I've learned so much here in a very short time.

I just joined in January and in the last two months I've been experimenting a little. More than anything I'm removing old damaging practices from my routine. I'm also becoming more aware as to what's in my products ( now i know what cones and SLS are), and realizing why I haven't been able to grow out my hair (chemical damage and poor treatment).

I've drastically minimized the mechanical damage to my hair (no more brushing when wet, stretching washings, no heat etc). I tried SMT's but I didn't like them that much. Tried catnip and I love it. I do it every time I wash now. Try it!! :)

My main issue now is waiting for my hair to grow. I am starting to practice benign neglect. I know that when I start ignoring my hair ,,,, and when I learn to just set it then forget it.....it will grow much faster. It is awfully boring waiting for your hair to grow it's like watching paint dry :)

Jumper
February 14th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Maybe it's just because I'm poor ish and just started but my first experiment was an ACV rinse... And my second was shampoo bars... And those have been fantastic successes. So for now I'm content with my experiments.

Except I am curious to try this nightblooming panacea, I'm just waiting for my next paycheck.

The hardest thing is changing old habits. I miss just ripping a brush through my hair and throwing it up in a ponytail, or putting it in a low ponytail to head to the barn. Not that taking the extra few minutes to carefully comb and braid it is such a hardship, but I still forget and ponytail it sometimes.

ErinLeigh
February 15th, 2014, 03:20 AM
Maybe it's just because I'm poor ish and just started but my first experiment was an ACV rinse... And my second was shampoo bars... And those have been fantastic successes. So for now I'm content with my experiments.

Except I am curious to try this nightblooming panacea, I'm just waiting for my next paycheck.

The hardest thing is changing old habits. I miss just ripping a brush through my hair and throwing it up in a ponytail, or putting it in a low ponytail to head to the barn. Not that taking the extra few minutes to carefully comb and braid it is such a hardship, but I still forget and ponytail it sometimes.

the panacea was well worth my no new experiments ban! I just got mine and love it :)

Mizumi
February 15th, 2014, 03:53 AM
I was experimenting a lot - oil before wash, deep condition, oil after wash, why not everything at once? :cool: I took me few months to plan my care better - oil every second wash or so.

ExpectoPatronum
February 15th, 2014, 04:25 AM
the panacea was well worth my no new experiments ban! I just got mine and love it :)

I'm anxiously awaiting my sample to get here! I'm supposed to get it tomorrow and I can't wait!

I'm experimenting with a minimalist routine now and I'm really liking it. I'm washing my hair every two days with a shampoo bar, followed by an ACV rinse, and then applying something as a leave in (oils or panacea if I like it lol) and done! Between wash days, I lightly mist my hair with a bit of water and seal that in with some oil before throwing it into a braid. My hair has gotten much shinier as a result.

Looks like the minimalist routine is the way to go for me! The fact I'm not using products with conventional fragrances is also really helping some skin issues I've been struggling with for years too. Except now I want to experiment with different shampoo bars! Gah...I can never stop trying new things lol.