PDA

View Full Version : Does oiling, Monistat, etc. remove color?

DarleneH
January 30th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Some of us dye our roots to cover greys, but I started wondering if it removes that faster when you also use oils (castor, EOs, or any) or Monistat on scalp for hair growth? I don't like using permanent colors because of the damage, and because I rarely wash (water only) these days then my non-permanent color applications should last longer. But if I turn around and add oil or Monistat, that might be removing that color just as much as washing would. Have any of the rest of you noticed if that happens with your dye & oil/Monistat use?

red-again
January 30th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I have found I get henna and indigo colour in the shower tray after any oiling. And that's a couple of weeks after I've applied the henna/indigo so it has stopped leaking anyway in the shower by then. Don't use monistat anymore but similar thing happened when I did use it. It makes sense that anything left on your head to soak in will remove some colour. Especially semiperms.

midbackorbust
January 30th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I use henna and I've never noticed any colour loss from mn or oils, but I don't have too much colouring at the roots so that might make a difference.

Rosetta
January 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Hmm, I've actually *tried* to remove semi-permanents with oils sometimes, without success ;) And nothing could never budge henna... (Monistat I've never even tried.)

Katrine
January 30th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I do see my henna noticeably fading after using Monistat. Not so much with the oils, though.

ErinLeigh
January 30th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I had olive oil fade a color but for me it was a happy result.
I had an ashy dye put in I hated. This was when I fried my hair..I used a soaking olive oil for 8 days straight and after day 8 all the ash was gone.
Now that I am not soaking head in it daily my color holding again.

ravenreed
January 30th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I use Elumen and it bleeds no matter what I do, but oil doesn't fade it.