PDA

View Full Version : Straight, v or u cut?

red-again
January 30th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Just s&d'd, long overdue, very Velcro-y ends! I am now going to trim a bit more and was wondering which hemline to go for? I want to end up with some fairy tailing at tailbone-ish so which hemline is best to prepare for that! I think either u or v but not sure! Any one with similar hair type to me who could chime in? Or any other advice / pointers gratefully received!

Johannah
January 30th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I'd say: try to cut as less as possible when you want FTE. But if you do, I think it's just what you prefer most. Personally, I think a blunt hemline would be great as a start.

Panth
January 30th, 2014, 10:53 AM
If you want fairytale ends, S&D is usually better than trimming as it maintains the ratio of lengths between the hairs. If the damage is so great that a trim is necessary, I'd just chose whichever hemline you already have and try to take as little from it as possible, and as evenly as possible, so that you retain the hemline shape.

Avital88
January 30th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Dont trim your hair in a V at The length youre now.
I would say straight or slight U Change The hemline when you are At waist. At least that is what i would do. I had a deep V At tailbone but growing from a U it came in naturally. Im saying this coz i think that if u would trim it in your desired shape now you have to cut more eventually and it Will take longer to grow to tbl

LadyLongLocks
January 30th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I would say U. The V looks too thin to me. Its the first time I heard of someone wanting the fairytale ends look.
Im a blunt hemline person myself and am trimming 10"+soon to get rid of the fairytale ends. Of course mine is also sweeping the floor so I cant stand that.
Nice to hear fairytale ends as a goal for a change. But I still prefer more hair at hemline if possible so a U cut.

jacqueline101
January 30th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I vac a natural v and it does seem to take forever to grow. I'm afraid my ends will get too thin before I reach my goal of tail bone length.

jen5972
January 30th, 2014, 11:27 AM
If you are going to wear it up at all, I would say a U. The V makes it really hard to do updos without little ends poking out.

truepeacenik
January 30th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Unless one is at terminal, how does one maintain a length and fairytale ends?

Let's say I decided on going back to classic. I'd trim, and that would be bluntish cut.
How would I get FTE?

(This is conceptually, I'm going for my likely terminal zone)

ravenreed
January 30th, 2014, 12:18 PM
If you prefer the wispiness of FTE then go for a V cut. It can make updos a challenge at shorter lengths but personally I think it is more flattering when worn down for many hair types.

lapushka
January 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Dont trim your hair in a V at The length youre now.
I would say straight or slight U Change The hemline when you are At waist. At least that is what i would do. I had a deep V At tailbone but growing from a U it came in naturally. Im saying this coz i think that if u would trim it in your desired shape now you have to cut more eventually and it Will take longer to grow to tbl

This sounds like *the* best advice to me. You have to take your length into account. What will look good at tailbone, probably will not look good right now!

spidermom
January 30th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I would use the ponytail on the top of the head method, positioned in the middle for long layers, trimming as little as possible.

lapushka
January 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I would use the ponytail on the top of the head method, positioned in the middle for long layers, trimming as little as possible.

I wouldn't recommend the compact cut methods for cutting hair for hair that's around BSL. You'll end up with really short layers, even when using the method for longer layers. You have to be ready for that, because it can be a shock when using these methods!

red-again
January 30th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I am actually pretty satisfied with how my hair feels and hangs now post the s&d. I'm going to leave it be and see where I end up. Thankyou!

spidermom
January 30th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I didn't. (replying to lapushka, above) I almost couldn't tell I had layers at all.

lapushka
January 30th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I didn't. (replying to lapushka, above) I almost couldn't tell I had layers at all.

Really? Because I noticed my hair being layered all the way up (about to shoulder, or between APL and shoulder I would say). And that can be a shock if you're not ready for that!

YamaMaya
January 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM
I have what is essentially a lopsided U because of what I did to my hair (FFL's, fringe, v hemline) and it's taking forever to grow out, I recommend a very shallow u or straight across.