PDA

View Full Version : V05 give me moisture shampoo

Selkie-
January 30th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I usually only use organic products but have been using quite a lot of different oils and leave-in lately and think I need to clarify. So I bought this shampoo - V05 Give me moisture shampoo. Has anybody here tried it? The ingredients look quite good: I think? :confused:

Ingredients:

Aqua, sodium laureth sulphate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium chloride, glycol distearate, cocamide mea, hyrolized pearl, apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil, rosemary leaf extract, sea salt, guar hydroxypropyltrionium chloride, polquaternium-47, castor oil, glycerine, methychoroisothazolinone, parfum, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropinal,hexyl cinnamal, limonene, citronellol.

Are there cones in there? I can't see any but might not have picked them up? Any other dubious ingredients?

Do you guys think this would be okay as a clarifying shampoo?

Thanks for reading!!! :)

Selkie-
January 30th, 2014, 05:23 AM
Well I just tried it - too early to tell much, although I must say it smells delicious!!! :thumbsup:

Selkie-
January 30th, 2014, 06:14 AM
New update - it seems to have made my hair a lot straighter! Which I am thrilled about because I prefer it straight. How weird is that? :silly:

I used it in conjunction with my olive & vanilla conditioner (organic).

I seem to be having a conversation with myself here - lol ;)

Selkie-
January 30th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Well, my hair liked this shampoo - it feels and looks silky and my ends are soft again. Success. :D

walterSCAN
January 30th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Well, I found your thread interesting! ;) I don't think I've ever seen that particular variety of VO5-- where did you get it? Also, I'm wondering if anyone can tell us what the purpose of hydrolized pearl is supposed to be in this shampoo...

ETA--> And no, I don't think I see any cones in there either, though there is a polyquat, which builds up for some people if I remember correctly.

ETA 2--> I'm actually wondering at the purpose of all of these (bolded) ingredients:

Aqua, sodium laureth sulphate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium chloride, glycol distearate, cocamide mea, hyrolized pearl, apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil, rosemary leaf extract, sea salt, guar hydroxypropyltrionium chloride, polquaternium-47, castor oil, glycerine, methychoroisothazolinone, parfum, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropinal,hexyl cinnamal, limonene, citronellol.

I'm relatively sure what the rest of them are for.

bunnylake
January 30th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I know sea salt is used to add volume and texture to hair. Not sure about the others.

walterSCAN
January 30th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Aha! I did some quick searching and these: hexyl cinnamal, limonene, citronellol are fragrances (found naturally in several essential oils, though of course we don't know the sources in this shampoo). Based on the descriptions given for these fragrances, I bet that shampoo does smell good! Also, I think it's kinda cool that they list the specific fragrances they're using instead of the ever-sneaky 'fragrance' ingredient.

Still don't know what the pearl's for though... off to do more searching!

walterSCAN
January 30th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Seems like the hydrolyzed pearl might be in there for protein/ amino acid content... what I'm seeing suggests it's usually used for skin, though. Interesting. I wonder what the conditioner is like... the shampoo has a LOT of different types of components! Protein, oils, humectants, conditioners, and (of course) surfactants. Now I'm very interested to see if I can find this stuff to try.

ETA--> Sorry for the thread hijack, OP, I'm kind of a closet ingredient-nerd... :blushing:

Selkie-
January 31st, 2014, 01:14 AM
Haha - thanks for the ingredient info walterSCAN! Actually that was exactly the kind of information I was after. ;)

Interesting about the hydrolized pearl - I would never have guessed that it was somehow a protein-type ingredient.

Regarding the conditioner: I did look at the ingredients when I was in the store and it definitely had a lot of cones in it - that's why I didn't buy it. But I managed to find this old thread on LHC about the conditioner. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=107128

I think this line is the UK based V05 - which we get here in South Africa. I bought it at our local version of 'boots'.

I really liked the shampoo - my hair felt and looked (I think) more silky and shiny. Pity the conditioner has cones otherwise I would get me a bottle - as if I need more conditioners lol. :bounce:

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 02:25 AM
it seems like nice ingredients for a Vo5 product. I find their Strawberry and similar ones so basic and boring.
I would try that one!
No cones for sure. And yes polyquats can build up but i read..
Polyquat 44 comes in a liquid form of about 6% to 7% active ingredient. It should be used at 0.1% to 0.2% for fine to normal hair and up to 0.5% for damaged hair in the water phase of your product. Polyquat 44 was found to produce the least build up and best conditioning on hair when tested against polyquat 7, 10, 11, and cationic guar gum

I have been on a polyquat scare lately. lol I never knew they were worse than cones in the world of buildup and freaked out. but they can help hair actually too as they can "patch"

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 02:29 AM
I would literally moan if the VO5 conditioners in the USA had cones! I use those for when I co-wash. Its so crazy they put cones in the products sold in some countries and not the USA.

Selkie-
January 31st, 2014, 06:21 AM
New update - my hair was great on wash day but today it is already looking quite greasy. Normally my hair easily goes 2-3 days between washes. So not a complete success after all. :(

walterSCAN
January 31st, 2014, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the polyquat info, ErinLeigh!

Haha - thanks for the ingredient info walterSCAN! Actually that was exactly the kind of information I was after. ;)

Interesting about the hydrolized pearl - I would never have guessed that it was somehow a protein-type ingredient.

Regarding the conditioner: I did look at the ingredients when I was in the store and it definitely had a lot of cones in it - that's why I didn't buy it. But I managed to find this old thread on LHC about the conditioner. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=107128

I think this line is the UK based V05 - which we get here in South Africa. I bought it at our local version of 'boots'.

I really liked the shampoo - my hair felt and looked (I think) more silky and shiny. Pity the conditioner has cones otherwise I would get me a bottle - as if I need more conditioners lol. :bounce:

New update - my hair was great on wash day but today it is already looking quite greasy. Normally my hair easily goes 2-3 days between washes. So not a complete success after all. :(

Yeah, it's too bad the conditioner has cones-- my hair hates them. :( Also, I was beginning to suspect that it was a UK-only product when my searches turned up nothing but bottles I'd never seen before and prices in £. This makes me sad... I really wanted to try the shampoo! Oh well. I know nothing of international law regarding ingredient lists, but I'll bet that goes a little way to explaining why they listed their fragrances, too. :hmm:

Too bad it's not a complete success for you, Selkie-, though what you're experiencing would make sense if your hair isn't used to things like polyquats.

Oh! and to address the question you asked in the beginning, with all of the oils in it, plus the polyquat, the humectant, and the protein, I don't think this shampoo would be very good for clarifying. You generally want a more basic product for that. Sorry, I totally forgot you asked! Though, by this point I'm sure you've already decided that for yourself. :)

Selkie-
January 31st, 2014, 07:23 AM
Thanks so much walterSCAN. Yeah, I do agree - it is not so great for clarifying - oh dear, I will have to look out for something simpler for that purpose - I was hoping to find the Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo but haven't had any luck in finding it here yet.

Makes sense about the polyquats - I generally only use organic products so my hair would definitely not be used to that, which probably explains the greasies.

The positive is that my ends are definitely softer after using this shampoo - so it basically helped to alleviate the dryness that I was experiencing there. :) I might mix a little into my regular shampoo from time to time - for the fragrance - and the silky effect it seems to give my hair. :)