PDA

View Full Version : I think my hair hates vinegar.....

jo_jo_1uk
January 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM
So I started doing vinegar rinses as most people rave about them. The first time my hair felt dry and funny on the ends but I had just changed to a sulfate free shampoo so thought maybe that. Tried it again - same problem, missed out the vinegar last time I washed, hair felt as normal so not the sulfate free shampoo :/ I'm using white vinegar not AVC could this be the problem or could my hair not like vinegar? Its such a shame because it give my roots a bit of oomph but my ends seem horrid. Does anyone else have problems with vinegar?

Lyv
January 29th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I do! I've tried both white and ACV using different dilutions and it always makes my hair either feel really dry on the ends or sticky.

ravenreed
January 29th, 2014, 01:33 PM
How much are you using? I use a high concentration, approximately a tablespoon to about 16 oz of water, because I have such terribly hard water where I live. You might need less, or if you have soft water you might not need it at all. I use it for two reasons to combat the previously mentioned hard water, and because my scalp responds well to it. It helps reduce flaking and itching, which are often a problem for me.

slynr
January 29th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I use vinegar due to hard water as well. It makes my hair very smooth and less tangles. I have used white but now use ACV. Like all things hair though it may just be your hair doesnt like it. My hair didnt do well with CO but others swear by it. Just go with what makes your hair respond favorably.

spidermom
January 29th, 2014, 01:58 PM
It makes my hair crazy fly-away, like I've been doing loop-do-loops over the desert on my broomstick.

jo_jo_1uk
January 29th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Lyv - sticky is exactly how mine felt!

ravenreed - I did wonder that, I used quite a bit the first time not so much the second. I do live in a hard water area. My scalp love it though :/

slynr - I do think my hair has just taken against it.

spidermom - lol :D

Stiria
January 29th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Vinegar rinses never worked for me either. Left my hair dry and tangly. Perhaps you could use it on your scalp only? I know some people do scalp washes, so perhaps the same technique could work for this.

ravenreed
January 29th, 2014, 04:09 PM
What about just using it on your scalp most of the time, and only occasionally and very watered down on your ends? ETA: My hair is that way with oil, BTW. If I use it at the time my hair needs it, it works really well. Otherwise it causes more problems than it solves.

DarkSky
January 29th, 2014, 06:30 PM
ACV or white vinegar use to work well for me for about a few months. It use to make my hair so shiny and soft but after that it started to go down hill. I ended up with a lot of frizz, dryness and mat prone. I agree though that it was great on the scalp but I figured it wasn't worth keeping it going.

Loviatar
January 29th, 2014, 07:01 PM
My hair hates vinegar too - tangles and flyaways. I switched to citric acid - I need an acid rinse for cv bars as I have very hard water. Citric acid is much better for me.

swearnsue
January 29th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I have very hard water but use a water filter showerhead. But I also use a mild vinegar rinse, it makes my hair less tangled and slippy-er.

I use about 1 tsp in a cup of warm water. Pour over my head slowly, gently massage into scalp for a few seconds and then rinse out with the shower turned a bit cooler but still warm.

Would any product build-up react with the vinegar?

Lirona
January 30th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Are you diluting the vinegar? That's important. :) But yes, it's also very possible your hair just doesn't like it. That's not a bad thing though!

Zebra Fish
January 30th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I tried it for a while and at first it worked, but then at some point it just didn't work anymore. I used a quite mild concentration. Then last week I put MP and as it says you should do a vinegar rinse in the end and this time I used (and that's just because I spilled by mistake xD ) a stronger solution and my hair feels amazingly soft! (this is just the 2nd time using MP, the 1st time my hair was kind of crispy until first wash after, and the only thing I changed was acv concentration)
So I'm thinking to maybe try and use it once a month in a stronger concentration and see how it goes. As with everything with my hair, its not black or white, but some shade of gray :p

sunrider_bby
January 30th, 2014, 02:02 AM
For me, it was all about finding the right concentration.
I use it very very diluted. If I did a concentrated solution, my hair would feel like greasy and stringy.
Right now I'm using it very diluted, but my ends feel dry and brittle too. I have to oil my ends most every day with coconut oil.

renia22
January 30th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Same here with disliking vinegar. Makes my hair gross, and I hate the smell. I've tried coconut vinegar too, but didn't like it either. Now I use chelating shampoo when I need it and like that much better.

mindwiped
January 30th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I just tried it myself, diluted so it had a tablespoon of ACV in four cups of water. I'm guessing my super fine, dry and wurley hair isn't a fan, because I'm noticing split ends that I swear weren't there two days before the rinse. I won't be trying it again, especially since I've got a whole house water softener.

Johannah
January 30th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Doesn't work for me too. And I hate the smell.

jo_jo_1uk
January 30th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all your responses guys :) so glad its not just me. I may try to just do my scalp but how do you keep the length out of the way? Starting to sound like a lot of bother, I like things simple :)

MeowScat
January 30th, 2014, 02:03 PM
How much vinegar are you using in how much water?

To do your scalp only, try holding your length out and up a little with one hand, then use your other hand to dump the vinegar rinse over your head.

ravenreed
January 30th, 2014, 02:38 PM
If you are just wanting to combat hard water, you can try a lemon juice or citric acid rinse. I sometimes do that instead of the ACV if I don't have time to let my hair dry before leaving home and don't want to smell like vinegar when I go out. My scalp likes the ACV better, but my ends don't care either way.

jo_jo_1uk
January 30th, 2014, 03:32 PM
How much vinegar are you using in how much water?

To do your scalp only, try holding your length out and up a little with one hand, then use your other hand to dump the vinegar rinse over your head.

I've been using a couple of capfuls in a litre jug. Wow your hair is gorgeous btw.

chen bao jun
January 30th, 2014, 04:04 PM
It may depend on your water. maybe your water is already fine and your whatever you wash with (shampoo, conditioner or whatever) already has the right PH. Vinegar just corrects the PH of your hair after washing, from what I understand because a lot of products and water are too 'basic' (as in too much base, not enough acid).
I don't think everyone needs vinegar rinses.
Makes my hair very silky, though. I went without my vinegar rinse last time I shampooed and was very sorry. I always thought my hair was just naturally rough before I discovered cold final rinses and vinegar but now its definitely not. Doesn't seem to matter what I use, apple cider vinegar or white and I'm not using organic or anything either. Just the big old bottle from Walmart that I also use for cleaning (white vinegar is a great cleaning product).

MeowScat
January 31st, 2014, 10:17 AM
I've been using a couple of capfuls in a litre jug. Wow your hair is gorgeous btw.

Maybe just try one capful, if it doesn't work, then it sounds like your hair doesn't need it. Your water might not be that hard and your products might be just right for you. (Lucky girl!)

Thank you so much for the compliment, it made my day! :hollie:

katiebeans
January 31st, 2014, 10:44 AM
Dunno if anyone has suggested this, but if your scalp enjoy it you could use a spray bottle to apply the mixture while avoiding your length

jo_jo_1uk
January 31st, 2014, 02:29 PM
Maybe just try one capful, if it doesn't work, then it sounds like your hair doesn't need it. Your water might not be that hard and your products might be just right for you. (Lucky girl!)

Thank you so much for the compliment, it made my day! :hollie:

My hair might feel nice but my scalp is a nightmare :( will give the one capful a try I have AVC now and your very welcome.

jo_jo_1uk
January 31st, 2014, 02:30 PM
Dunno if anyone has suggested this, but if your scalp enjoy it you could use a spray bottle to apply the mixture while avoiding your length

Now that's a good idea!