PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that my hair looked so awful on my head and so lovely on the floor...

didrash
January 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I just chopped my hair from almost BSL to shoulder. I don't regret it, my hair was dry, horribly split and uneven, and now feels light and good but... When it was still attached, it felt dry, velcro-y, generally horrible. The chunk I left on the floor looks amasing, silky smooth, shiny and soft... It's almost like someone did a trick on me :).

Marbid
January 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Perhaps it was all in your head and how you perceived your hair?

kganihanova
January 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Maybe it looks in retrospect. If they were damaged, its more visible next to healthy hair.

SkyChild
January 29th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Perhaps it's purely regretful pangs for cutting it off that's making you suddenly see it as healthy and silken?

CousinItt
January 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM
When it's on the floor, it's too far away to see the damage ;)

emilyann
January 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Try and run your fingers through it, though!

didrash
January 30th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Yep, maybe it was the distance :). I really don't regret the chop, I used to have layers and now my hair is all one length, A lot of the dye has been cut off (I used to dye it black) and makes working out easier because it dries faster, and I need every possible insentive to get off my butt and get to the gym. I did keep the hair though, put it in a bag - just to have as a reminder for the future that it does not look so bad from a distance as it does from 2 inches away. Just makes me think - sometimes we should not look too hard - at hair or other things - or we will always find things we don't like :)
I am proud to say that I chopped it off myself, using faye's method. I don't have a camera now so I can't post pictures, but it turned out surprisingly even. At the beginning I thought I'll cut it off to the length I want, and then go to a salon to have the sticking bits removed, but there is no need. Maybe because I wasn't trying to preserve length, I just wanted the damaged parts off. Now I have to stay far away from chemical dyes, and try to wash it less often. WO every day cannot be avoided because I sweat a lot when I work out, but maybe try to reduce shampoo from twice a week to once...

RegretsHerCut
January 30th, 2014, 04:21 AM
maybe you just had a little bit of damage but cut off more than the damaged parts ?