PDA

View Full Version : Hair grows in black!

MaryMarx
January 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Hi!

I've been taking a break from this site, only because I've had a lot of things on my mind and also because I needed to get my main focus off of my hair.
But here's something I need to ask you. Lately I've noticed a lot of baby hairs sprouting up. My hair colour is like a light, light, ashy brown (pics in album if you need to see). Now, these baby hairs are DARK, almost black. They all have kind of the same length; no longer than 5-6 centimeters, some only 1 cm.

I'm curious about this, at the same time I wonder; should I be worried?
I'll be seeing a doctor in a couple of months and will try to remember to ask.
If I measure back in time to when they started growing, I had kind of a life change since I started university which saved me from unemployment and bad economy. Could this be stress from before this, when I had a pretty bad time? I've heard changes in hair shows up ~3 months later.

:)

stachelbeere
January 29th, 2014, 11:56 AM
maybe your hair gets lighter when you expose it to the sun...? I might be writing rubbish but this is my 1st thought. My roots were very dark but then they became lighter.

MaryMarx
January 29th, 2014, 12:00 PM
stachelbeere, thanks for your answer, but no, it's waaay darker than that. My hair kind of doesn't change a lot during summer, mostly because there's hardly been any summer here for the past 2 years now... :(

stachelbeere
January 29th, 2014, 12:09 PM
yeah... that's kind of what I thought. I don't know where you live and if you travel a lot but you may not have seen the sun a lot recently :(

lapushka
January 29th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Could it be just those few? I have a few wiry pitch black hairs that are thicker than my "normal" strands.

MaryMarx
January 29th, 2014, 12:16 PM
lapushka, it seems they are multiplying. :p A while ago I found one black, almost as long as the normal hair. I plucked it out to investigate (pic in album!) and since then it seems they are getting more... today I found a couple at the peak of my widows peak, which I have never seen there before!

lapushka
January 29th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I think it's normal... Maybe don't fuss over it so much? Just wait and see what they do, and don't pull them out. If they're that long, they've been there for ages! And it's only now that they started bothering you. So... I don't know...

MaryMarx
January 29th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Well, mostly I wanted to hear it's a normal thing. :) I was also thinking that if someone recognized it as a part of some health issues, that would be good to know.
They're short, 4-5 centimeters, and I've never seen them before, that's why I'm wondering.

Lyv
January 29th, 2014, 01:21 PM
My baby hairs near my crown grow in darker and the strands feel a little more coarse but it seems to look the same as the rest when it grows out. The baby hair near my temples is really light and fine though. Maybe it's because it's new hair?

MaryMarx
January 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Lyv, thank you for your answer. :) They are easiest to see in my widows peak where they grow next to other baby hairs, and they really are much darker than the others ones..!

martyna_22
January 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Yes! I've been getting them a lot recently, and my hair's blondette. These strands are usually coarser and more wavy than straight, while the rest is easily 1b. I hate those and never know what to do with them. These wavy ones look really out of place, as some of them are quite long and practically 2b. Wish I knew what to do with it..

MaryMarx
January 29th, 2014, 02:21 PM
martyna_22, that's comforting to hear, I was worried it might be some hormonal trouble since I've been having some health issues. Mine are like the rest of the hair, maybe a little bit thicker or they might appear that way because they are darker and more visible. But it seems to be a normal thing then, great. :)

MaryMarx
February 2nd, 2014, 02:00 PM
Anyone else experiencing this?

two_wheels
February 2nd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I get them. When I have a pixie I don't notice them, but as soon as I grow it out they sproing up all over the place. Have done the growing-out thing a few times now and they always appear. I wouldn't worry too much. Fwiw my hair is blonette 2a medium and these are very dark and coarse. The weird thing is that I don't notice them until they are a few inches long.

two_wheels
February 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM
Also, putting hair up while damp to finish off drying tends to calm them down a bit for me, if that's any help!

swearnsue
February 2nd, 2014, 03:53 PM
My hair grew in darker in my late twenties/early thirties. Not from blonde to dark brunette though! Then when I started eating better my hair grew in a bit more towards M from very F and the strands looked darker because they were not as see-through.

Foxylocks
February 2nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry I did not see this thread earlier. Yes, the darker hairs are normal. Please don't pluck them out, they are healthy hairs, I promise. My hair is naturally blonde, and I have a few of these darker hairs too. It's nothing to worry about.

MaryMarx
February 3rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone! No need to worry the, I'll just enjoy them and hope they get more, I've always wanted dark hair. ;)