PDA

View Full Version : Hair Changes During Pregnancy

jadelouise
January 29th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Hi, I'm 14 weeks pregnant and curious to know others' experiences with pregnancies and how it affected hair type/condition :)

Rosetta
January 29th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Congratulations! :flower:

With my two pregnancies, I don't remember my hair changing very much, to be honest - it was growing a bit faster and seemed a bit stronger, but that's all :) I didn't experience any major postpartum shedding, either.

(The thing I most remember about my last pregnancy, hair-wise, is my "pregnancy ombre" - I didn't want to use dyes during my pregnancy, even henna, so after hennaing just once in the beginning of 2nd trimester I quit it, and the ombre look was pretty interesting from there on ;))

SkyChild
January 29th, 2014, 06:27 AM
Congratulations!

My hair rocketed in growth and felt thicker and looked glossier when I was pregnant. It's a really good time for growing healthy hair due to all the hormones and extra blood swishing about (especially as you'll probably be eating better too).

Some people report that then after baby is born the new hair all falls out dramatically on their pillow but I think this is rare and people worry about it too much.

I certainly didn't notice any dramatic hair falling out in clumps. Ok maybe I shed a little, but that's only to be expected. Less hormones and things so you'd be very lucky to keep it all as your body goes back to normal. But the length you get will probably be more than you would in a normal nine months.

jadelouise
January 29th, 2014, 07:01 AM
thankyou!

im not dying my hair at all during pregnancy, its much darker than my natural colour at the moment, and once my baby's born im going to get my hair all coloured the same as my roots and will never have to dye again!

i really hope i manage to get some good length during pregnancy, would be a bonus!

hairpleasegrow
January 29th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Congrats on your pregnancy !! How exciting :)

I think this all depends on your hair state and type of hair before your pregnancy.

I have a 7 month old. Before and during pregnancy my hair was fast approaching BSL. About 6 months into my pregnancy my hair started getting really brittle and dry.

Keep in mind my hair is quite damaged due to highlighting (more like highlights on top of highlights) and colouring. Also keep in mind I just recently found the LHC. My hair is also very fine. I had alot of breakage prior to pregnancy.

My hair grew quite quickly during pregnancy. However during pregnancy I cut off 2 or 3 inches, and after pregnancy in total I have cut about 5 inches off. My hair turned straw or hay like. I don't want to terrify you at all please remember my hair is quite damaged that was just my experience. I also have a very slight "halo" after my shed that happened about a month ago.

I did get my highlights done during pregnancy and if I could turn back time I would NOT have dyed my hair during this time. My hair would have been alot more healthy. If you are trying to stop dying your hair now is a good time to start.....my hair grew quickly during pregnancy and also making time for a salon visit when you have a newborn is pretty tough. Also I would have kept up with my vitamins (I was so sick of taking vitamins so about 3 months after I just stopped altogether). I think if I had kept up with my vitamins I would have had less shedding.

enjoy your pregnancy and take lots of pictures of your tummy:)

beloitrose
January 29th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Congrats on your little bundle =) I'm 23 weeks pregnant with my fourth child. =) When I was pregnant before, my hair grew by leaps and bounds. Its after I deliver that's the problem for me. I guess my hormones all change so I have a huge hair fall the month after. This time I'm using henna to try to hold onto what I have and thicken it up best I can. Over the years its gotten quite thin, although my hair has always been very fine. I am going to try to keep taking the prenatal vitamins for a month after and see if it helps any also. Regardless, all mommies are beautiful and I'm sure you will glow with your new little one =)

Squiggy
January 29th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Congratulations!

My hair got thicker during pregnancy, but didn't seem to grow any faster than usual. It did, however, become wavy during my first pregnancy. I once had stick straight hair that wouldn't hold a curl and I now have some wave and can't get it to straighten out no matter what. Sadly, it didn't change again (either straighter or curlier) during pregnancy #2.

About 3-4 months postpartum I went through the lovely shed. It came all at once and ended quickly after the first pregnancy, but lasted longer and with less daily shedding after the second baby. It was a really shocking amount for me - I was so glad I had heard of this happening before, otherwise I would have been really worried that something was wrong!

Hopefully you will just have wonderful, glossy, thick hair and very little postpartum shed!

walterSCAN
January 29th, 2014, 01:34 PM
I didn't really have any changes to my hair during or after pregnancy. It didn't seem to get any thicker/ stop shedding during, and I didn't have a huge shed after, either. :shrug: I did get too big to bend over and rinse out henna a little before 6 months, so I had some serious roots in need of touch up once things got settled down, but that was it.

misspriss
January 29th, 2014, 02:02 PM
I don't remember any changes during pregnancy, but looking at pictures from early pregnancy to after the baby was born, it apparently grew a lot!

I did experience the post partum shedding, from 3-6 months post partum. Nothing on the pillow, but huge lots of it in the shower. It was noticeably thinner. Now I have serious new growth from shortly after that, it sticks out around my ears!

Ambystoma
January 30th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Congratulations! I'm at 33 weeks with my first, and found my growth to be about the same as usual. The big changes are zero shedding - I might get 1-3 hairs a day, but some days there are seriously none, (so I hope my postpartum shed isn't too drastic) and the colour. I thought early on that it was looking a little darker near my face but just brushed it off since it was the end of winter and I hadn't seen much sun until I saw this photo at 7 months:

http://i.imgur.com/X9BgA4d.jpg

I've always had an ombre thing going on from sunbleaching, especially the last few inches, but that demarcation line is a lot harsher than how it usually looks, and it also looks suspiciously like 7 months worth of growth too :laugh: It will be interesting to see what happens - personally I hope it stays with the new colour or else I'll end up with a giant dark stripe!

pogo0685
January 30th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Congratulations! I am not sure what my hair did with my first pregnancy but with the second one I did not shed a single hair the entire time. So of course after I gave birth I had a pretty big shed but I expected it, it lasted a few months now my hair is back to "normal".