PDA

View Full Version : Long hair, scalp psoriasis, really flat and dead hair.

PixieP
January 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Hi girlies. First, my hair story and I'll try to keep it short :D

Early 2010 I permed my hair. It got completly, utterly ruined. A year later I cut most of it off, having a very short choppy bob-style. I've been growing it out ever since, right now I'm midway between BSL and waist length (goal: tailbone). I started with no-poo after the perm, and have been switching between no-poo, sulfate-free shampoos & conditioner, baking powder&vinegar, shampoos with sulfates from natural origins (coconut), and most recently I've started using Lush-products (right now: Rehab shampoo and Happy Happy Joy Joy conditioner). I colour it with henna every 3-4 months for almost a year now. It's healthy and soft and shiny again.

Two years ago my psoriasis moved up into my scalp... I've got it under control now, with a combination of really good washing products and liqiud cortison. I have stopped using all kinds of styling products; my scalp does not like gels, sprays or mousses. The problem now is that my hair is a bit too healthy... It has no volume, at all. It's flat and dead. Although my hair is thick, when I braid it, the braid gets so skinny. I try and put it up in a bun or a ponytail; even while newly washed my hair is slicked to my scalp when I put it up and it looks almost greasy even when clean, and my buns are tiny and ponytails have no volume. Before the evil perm, my hair had lots of volume and body, so I am NOT used to dealing with this... This has been consistent no matter what cleaning method I have been using for the last year and a half. The first 2-3 days after hennaing it it looks good, and after that back to same old, same old.

Does anyone have any tips? Maybe for good styling products that isn't evil to the scalp (preferably things that can be bought online; I live in Norway and the store selection is... bad, to say the least) or things I can to do make it have more volume...? I blowdry roots after I wash it (1-2 times a week; scalp and skin does not like the water) and put the lengths in a bun or a braid to dry; it's the only way I can any kind of volume in it, although it only lasts until I go to bed...

Any and all advice is very, very welcome!

PixieP
January 28th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Ok I didn't find an edit-button, so sorry for the double post.

I forgot to mention that my hair tends to be flat on the top, but then a bit frizzy in the lengths.

woodswanderer
January 28th, 2014, 07:32 PM
At what length did you find your hair to have lots of volume? As your hair gets longer, the weight of it generally pulls your hair a little flatter.

PixieP
January 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Well it's basically been quite flat since I cut of the perm-damaged hair. I know hair gets flatter as it gets longer, but it's like it's pasted to my scalp. Like it is really greasy, just that it's not grasy, if that makes sense :P

Katrine
January 28th, 2014, 08:22 PM
What is your water quality like? I wonder if it's an issue with your water. A shower filter might help.

I have psoriasis and have found dilute shampoo helps. I looked up Rehab and saw that it does contain sulfates, and perfume. I never did well with sulfates, they make my hair shed and anything with perfume can irritate my scalp. I've found that ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses help with my scalp issues and also the texture of my hair. I do have a shower filter but our water is still pretty hard.

There are so many variables. These are the first things that came to mind. I'm sure you'll get much more feedback. HTH :)

Firefox7275
January 29th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Several of your wash methods sound like they would damage/ irritate your skin barrier and hair. Also many mainstream psoriasis treatments are damaging to hair. Baking soda is horrendous for the acid mantle/ skin flora, research suggests some wih psoriasis do well eliminating sulphate surfactants. Sulphate free is a huge category from harsh and irritating olefin sulfonates to gentle glucoside surfactants.

If the skin is damaged and inflamed that will affect hair quantity and quality. Maybe work on skin and hair health rather than aesthetic/ cosmetic results which inevitably involves many unnecessary and irritating chemicals. There are plenty of study abstracts on Google Scholar and PubMed, some of the full studies are online if you search.

Ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Hudrolysed proteins are useful for volume/ body but some may be irritating if your sin barrier is already damaged - you may want to patch and strand test different sources (silk, keratin, collagen, wheat and soy are all common).

Have you worked on targeted nutrition for psoriasis with a registered dietician?

PixieP
January 29th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Katrine: I have installed a filter, but I've moved apartments since this started, and it's the same. It's also the same if I go to another part of the country. We have great water quality here where I live.

The Rehab-shampoo doesn't bother my scalp or my hair; my scalp is better than ever (I've only got one little spot the size of a finger nail left now), and my hair is healthy and happy. It's just flat and dead, even though my scalp is better and the hair is restored to full health. It's been like this no matter wich washing routine I used of those I listed. I didn't use baking powder and soda for very long, it took me too long to do in the shower and the rest of my skin can't deal with being in water longer than ten minutes, so I ditched that pretty quick. I used no-poo the longest, with an organic conditioner made from all-natural ingredients, but the skin on my hands did NOT like being in contact with it for long periods of time (massaging it into my scalp and combing it ment that I had to have my hands more or less soaked in conditioner for five minutes, and on my hands I have pustular psoriasis... very painful and very difficult to treat).

And Firefox, I HAVE been working on skin/hair health; I use litte to none "uneccessary and irritating chemicals" as I posibly can, and none that are for aestethic reasons... But I'm getting really, really tired of my hair looking like this. I can't have it loose; I can't put it up, it looks horrible no matter what I do. My hair and my scalp is as healthy and well as I can ever hope for. Now I'd really like to have my hair start looking pretty again, because I'm tired of feeling self-concious about it.

PixieP
January 29th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry if that post came across as angry or irritated; I struggle with English sometimes, and I see it might have come across that way.

bunnylake
January 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Hmm.
When my hair got to be waist length, it was very flat on top. I kept growing it long, and my number one issue with my hair was lack of volume at the roots. As soon as I cut it short, my volume came back. It's even voluminous when it's greasy. I also have layers and bangs, which help to add volume also. I don't know if you are willing to cut your hair, but it might be something to consider. As much as I loved my long hair, I'm a lot happier now that I have more volume.

PrincessIdril
January 29th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I can't really help with your problem (I'm a curly so my hair naturally has a bit of volume to it) but I feel your pain. I also have scalp psoriasis and while mine is much more mild that yours it can seriously suck at times. And pustular on your hands? eeek, I occasionally get that on my foot and I can't bear it so I can't imagine how annoying it would be on the hands. Hopefully everything will sort itself out soon :flower:

Since you seem to be getting on OK with Lush poo/conditioner (I find Soak and Float to be a miracle worker for my scalp!) have you considered trying out their styling products?
https://www.lush.co.uk/category/152

Sea Spray might be one to avoid since your scalp doesn't like sprays, but perhaps Dirty Hair Styling Cream might be worth a shot? I've never used it (they discontinued the product I did like) but perhaps a little bit used on damp braids might give the waves a bit more holding power when you do that?