PDA

View Full Version : how do updos look from front?

ErinLeigh
January 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Updo hair rant!

I like to wear my hair up for comfort but cannot pull it off for "style" due to my weird hairline, peanut head and long nose. It just looks harsh and odd. I also have little frizzy curly baby hairs at temple.
I was wondering how all of you do the front when you wear hair up. Is it mostly just slicked back or is there some sort of "arranging" the front to make it look better?

I truly need bangs if I am going to pull off looking good with hair up but bangs wont stay in place. My hair is super fine, prone to frizz and I live in a humid climate which means as soon as I walk outside they will puff up. Any suggestions on how to work bangs or ways to make the front of an updo look less harsh?

While here, anyone care to tell what their updos look like from the front? Is it parted, slicked back, bangs? I always see the photos of the backs and wonder what they look like in the front.

hairpleasegrow
January 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Mine are slicked back in a high bun with a hairstick through it. It 's the only way my hair doesn't "pull" on my head. It's just all kind of back with no part

kdaniels8811
January 28th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I pull the front of my hair into a little pouf, just enough to give myself a half inch more height. Makes my hair look thicker. I put my fingers right behind my ears and run them straight up. A slight twist to the hair I gathered, a little push forward for some height, then a bobby pin pushed in from the back of the twisted hair toward my face. When I put my hair up you cannot see it. On me it prevents the skinned back hair look, not flattering!

schnibbles
January 28th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I'm growing out bangs right now, so I have some shorter pieces I pull out. My bangs are just below my chin, they will pretty much stay up in the bun with the rest of my hair. (this actually makes me very, very happy)
Sometimes I will loosely pin them with a bobby pin and create a little poof and that will give me a little volume on top. I don't wear my buns really tight anyhow, so even if I don't do the poof thing, I will try to keep the top kinda loose so it doesn't look too harsh. Sorry, I don't have any pics of the front though.

walterSCAN
January 28th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Mine's always sideparted-- I can't be bothered trying to force it to lie smoothly straight back from my forehead, and it doesn't look great on me that way anyway. Also, wearing my hair up is the sole reason I have a few chin length face-framing layers in my hair. Updos just look too harsh on me without them.

Wish I had a photo of the front of my head that I liked, or I'd show you. :)

oatmealpie
January 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I have side-swept bangs mainly for updos. I also like to pull down a few tendrils to soften the look. Here's a small photo from New Year's Eve.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ba/d8/2c/bad82cdfa65bb8f9544f8a314cd5c591.jpg

katiebeans
January 28th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I feel the same way about myself and updos, that I can't pull them off with my facial structure/features. I had been wearing top knots for a while, with all hair pulled back so there was no part and I could tug at the sides and top to loosen the hair so it wasn't slicked back. I would also pull a few face framing pieces out from my bangs at the side which looked rather nice. However they've grown too long now and just look funny. Grr!

MeowScat
January 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I have bangs and wear buns on top of my head. I have chubby cheeks and a high forehead so need a lot to distract away from that.

Have you tried a hair rat for height? It gives the illusion of teased hair.

SkyChild
January 28th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Aw oatmealpie, you look lovely!
I have these little layers too. I was actually going to ask this very question myself as I was wondering if I should keep my side-swept fringe and little layers for updos if the rest of my hair gets mega-long. Subscribing to this thread :)

SkyChild
January 28th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Oops double post!

Chromis
January 28th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Parted and vaguely slicked. Or at least it starts off smooth! I detest having hair in my face and hate getting hair caught in my glasses anyhow so bangs are right out. I do really give a flying fig if my part is the "most flattering" my scalp resists any and all attempts to move it. It hurts the whole time and then reverts anyhow.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6545980363_5b72a31fc3.jpg

cat11
January 28th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I feel the same way about myself and updos, that I can't pull them off with my facial structure/features. I had been wearing top knots for a while, with all hair pulled back so there was no part and I could tug at the sides and top to loosen the hair so it wasn't slicked back. I would also pull a few face framing pieces out from my bangs at the side which looked rather nice. However they've grown too long now and just look funny. Grr!

Maybe you can tuck them behind your ears/ fold them a bit (if you wanted for length) and pin them behind your ears?

I agree with everyone else I have "bangs" that are like 1-2 inches longer than my chin and I want to keep them this way, even at my goal length, so I can keep them out of updos and tuck behind my ears. I don't think I look bad slicked back but I wouldnt like having no other option.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 28th, 2014, 06:08 PM
I just have mine slicked straight back, no parting at all. I'm not entirely happy with the way it looks from the front but don't really know if I want to cut any face framing layers in case I hate them and then have to grow them out. I have previously had bangs and thought they looked - not good.

Lostsoule77
January 28th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Mine just gets combed back. I don't particularly like how it looks, but I hate hair in my face. If I'm going out anywhere besides work I throw on some earrings just so I look a bit more feminine. Otherwise I just deal with it. It's not like I have to look at myself very often.

Weewah
January 28th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I've got a bigger forehead so I do sideswept bangs with some sort hairs pulled out to frame the face. I also don't pull the hair back tight, I leave it pretty lose. Bangs do involve more styling but it's worth it to make my face look nice. Sorry can't help you with the humid climate problem

askan
January 28th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I usually take the make a little bumb like this:
http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz173/askansphotos/CIMG6332_zps2297965e.jpg (http://s825.photobucket.com/user/askansphotos/media/CIMG6332_zps2297965e.jpg.html)

Or, I do some braiding. I have a side parting and I make a dutch/french braid with the fringe area, finish it off in a normal 3-strand braid and join it with the updo. Sometimes one braid on each side, if I want to keep all whispies in check.
I always pull out a few little hairs at the temples to soften the look.

ErinLeigh
January 28th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I have chin/neck length layers. So ..i will try to pull those out and do a side swept "bang" and maybe add some more hair down around temple to go with the curlies maybe then. This could work. I was trying to protect all hair..plus I hate hair in my face BUT I am not rocking the slicked back look. My bf jokingly called me "greased lightning" last night. hehe
Can't wait to see more ideas. Love the ideas for bumps, twist and crown braids. I cannot get them right but practice makes perfect.

divinedobbie
January 28th, 2014, 10:53 PM
I do the exact same thing as askan, I make the bump with my grown-out-bang layers and put some strands of hair on the side since I definitely think having my hair slicked back does not suit me. A tip I learned from a hairdresser to have the poof stay is to twist it once and put a bobby pin through the twist parallel (with the "grain").

This has probably been mentioned but if you're not too opposed to heat, you can curl just one or two locks of hair on the side. If you don't want to use heat, you can try curling the hair around your finger when wet and then pushing a bobby pin through it and let it dry like that. Some hair types don't hold well though but it's worth a try!

Not sure if you've seen this already, but here's another link to softening updos:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66499

Kaelee
January 28th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I have bangs that frame my face and I do absolutely nothing to them at all, no styling whatsoever. I just let them do whatever. This can be good or bad depending on your view point...:laugh: It helps that I have straight hair though.

Mya
January 29th, 2014, 12:52 AM
I sometimes leave a couple of strands from the front out of the updo, so they become face framing strands.

DancingQueen
January 29th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I can't pull off the super neat updos - they just makes me look way too strict. Even if I do just a regular bun, I look like someone from the military or something (and not the movie-sexy way!). I like to make an undo, and then mess it up a bit. If there is a ponytail, I pull on my crown a bit to make it look thicker. I pull out a few pieces around my face. I fix my braid tassel, so it looks thicker. Maybe I mess up the bun a little too. The point is to make it look less neat, although not unkempt. It is the super neat look that doesn't work for everyone. :)

Hypnotica
January 29th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I sometimes twist back each side, fasten with hairpins and make the bun over the pins. That way you create some texture and you can pull little wisps out for a face framing effect.

I have face framing layers cut in, just a few very small sections. And some baby hair in the front that never seems to grow any longer then to my cheeks.

millyaulait
January 29th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I have side bangs & a few shorter layers cut in around my face for this very reason.

Magalo
January 29th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I have bangs so I don't do these, but I like them:

http://babesinhairland.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_6132-bang-pull-back-twistA.jpg

http://edanafashion.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/bangs-3.jpg

http://kelownadayspa.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bangs-side-twist12.jpg

I also tug a little on the sides and top to make them looser and softer. :)

SamEatsBrains
January 29th, 2014, 06:37 AM
I look disgusting in updos! Crooked/ugly face. Lol, so no tips from me! I would always pull some hair out to frame my face. But frankly, I find myself ugly without my hair down.

Chromis
January 29th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Serious, if mildly awkward question: How do you wear a warm hat in the winter with these quiffs, and twists, and little braid things? They look very pretty and all, but surely you must freeze!

Magalo
January 29th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Serious, if mildly awkward question: How do you wear a warm hat in the winter with these quiffs, and twists, and little braid things? They look very pretty and all, but surely you must freeze!

I guess under your beanie?? As usual? They might get a little fluffly though! Or maybe they don't live in Canada like you and me and never need a winter hat. Who knows. :p

Chromis
January 29th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I guess under your beanie?? As usual? They might get a little fluffly though! Or maybe they don't live in Canada like you and me and never need a winter hat. Who knows. :p

Pffft, I know they are not all in warm climates :p Maybe they have magic hat powers, I would look like a raccoon ate my hair if I tried that.

Of course maybe they are those strange people with connected garages to their house and underground parking who never walk anywhere...but I don't see how this is possible! (Also I am coming to visit La belle province in March and really looking forward to it! I have only been in far, far northern Quebec before, so this will be a very different trip.)

neko_kawaii
January 29th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I know what you mean Chromis, and I live in a warm climate! I still need to cover my ears first thing in the morning or the cool air will give me a headache. The advantages of never thinking about the relative proportions of my facial features: I simply pull my hair out of my face and secure it in some fashion.

QMacrocarpa
January 29th, 2014, 07:34 AM
My hair is always parted somewhere in the front (my part roams around every couple-three weeks or so). I don't like my hairline well enough to want to have my hair go straight back from my large forehead. Sometimes when I've just started making an updo I'll loosen the front hair a little so it's a bit fluffier around my face. I have no bangs or face-framing layers, I don't think they would be recommended with my curly, floaty hair. Frizz is always a part of my look; I just accept it.

I find it takes some time to get comfortable with any change to your look. If I made a point of brushing my hair straight back one day a week for a while (perhaps on a day when I'm just puttering around the house) I would likely feel less self-conscious about my hairline and more comfortable with this look before long. I think this is probably also true for people who "can't" do updos for self-imposed aesthetic reasons. They're used to seeing one thing in the mirror, and suddenly they see something unfamiliar and it seems weird. If it got a bit more familiar, I think it would stop seeming weird.

diddiedaisy
January 29th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Hmmm, my face can't take a scraped back look neither.

I have a fringe (bangs), and leave some face framing layers down. I also have fine hair and just hairspray my fringe to stop it disappearing!!!

Scarlet_Heart
January 29th, 2014, 08:09 AM
I have a really long face and large forehead so I would love to have bangs to soften up my face when wearing updos. But unfortunately I have a super widow's peak and bangs never seem to work out on me. So I just deal with it. I just wear all of my hair pulled back in a bun.

Applegirl84
January 29th, 2014, 08:31 AM

haha I live in Canada, though the southern part and I rarely ever wear a hat. Sometimes I throw a hood over my head when its raining though. If it's really cold and I'm going to be outside for a while, I just wear a braid with a tuque

cat11
January 29th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Pffft, I know they are not all in warm climates :p Maybe they have magic hat powers, I would look like a raccoon ate my hair if I tried that.

Of course maybe they are those strange people with connected garages to their house and underground parking who never walk anywhere...but I don't see how this is possible! (Also I am coming to visit La belle province in March and really looking forward to it! I have only been in far, far northern Quebec before, so this will be a very different trip.)

I wore my hair up in a bun today and my ears were so cold. :( Sometimes I wear a scarf wrapped over my hair and around my face (like a muslimah, or an old movie star) while I walk from my car to a building or building to building and that is quite conformable and looks very feminine/pretty if you have a pretty scarf or pashmina

jel
January 29th, 2014, 11:16 AM
When my hair is freshly washed, I usually part it asymmetrically (or, rather, it parts itself!) then grab a loose, low nape pony and twist/knot from there. That way, the hair is framing my face from the front (and covering my ears) - almost like a fake jaw-length bob.

A similar, if even more exaggerated effect is obtainable from a flipped cinnamon bun - that reminds me of an 80s asymmetrical short cut (Tasha Yar from ST TNG (http://www.celebs101.com/gallery/Denise_Crosby/28463/denise_crosby_photo_9.jpg)), just with the "fringe" appearing longer.

Mustang Suzy
January 29th, 2014, 11:17 AM

I have bangs, so when I wear a winter hat I put the back of my hair in a low bun and carefully place the hat over my bangs. Then when I get where I'm going I either leave the hat on or finger comb my bangs to prevent hat head.

woolyleprechaun
January 29th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I have the same problem. I love updos, hate how they look at the front. I have a very wide, square face with a solid jawbone and strong, wide cheekbones, and a mental hairline- slicked back does NOT look good on me!
I recently cut in a fringe in despair, but it looks awful. In an inch or two I can pull off a side-swept bangs thing. For now, the fringe is in a little quiffy thing with wisps softening it, and I'm happier than when I had nothing going on at the front.

night owl
January 29th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I live in Oklahoma, and I guess we're far enough south that most women don't wear hats when it's cold (and yes, it can get VERY cold here, though fortunately not for very long at at time!). You'll see a hood or scarf wrapped around the head now and then. I am prone to earaches, so I have always been partial to earmuffs! I look stupid in hats, and if I tried to wear a knit hat for cold weather, I would end up with a frizzy, static-y afro of baby hairs the second I took it off inside. Amusing, but not a great look.

When I put my hair in an updo, it's usually either because I'm trying to stretch a wash or because it's disgustingly hot outside in the summer, so whether I have a part is more about damage control. I go with whatever mood my hair is in--I used to have a natural razor-straight part on the left side, but then my hair got bored with that and now it meanders in curl clumps from left-ish to the center. Or if it looks really bad, I might slick it straight back.

I've never been good with achieving height. I would love to be able to do the twist bump with the bobby pin that so many do, but I'd need someone to show me how in person. When I try it, if I've gathered enough hair, then I need a clip because there's no way one bobby pin is holding any of that hair in place. My hair laughs at bobby pins in general.

I would also love to do side tendrils, but if they're short enough on me they just curl up and look silly. I don't have bangs for the same reason. The only effect I get is when my short sideburns sometimes pop out in a spiral. That's fun, but happens at random because the hair around my face does not like being told what to do. :)

spirals
January 29th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I now have long bangs and some short layers at the sides, ranging from cheekbone to chin. Sometimes I pin my bangs back. I always have a side part, which makes it look less severe. Even when I didn't have the shorter bangs, I always had some layering in front. Let me see if I can find some pics. I pm'd you.
Oh, and I often wear a scarf as a headband to add interest and soften things up. It brings compliments. Mine are from my grandma, 70s era. Those are usually the right size. Maybe you could find some in a thrift store, or get some cute headbands at Claire's or something.

velorutionista
January 29th, 2014, 12:25 PM

I'm in MN (enjoying above zero weather for the first time in days today!) and I wear hats all the time over buns/twists, etc. But...I knit my own hats, so they are super stretchy and super warm (yay for colorwork floats). I don't think I could fit a store-bought hat over my head+updo. But with my own hats it becomes a matter of stretching it out as it goes on and not moving it till it comes off (and not catching the hat on pins). Sometimes I get a little frizz, but not usually. I pretty much live in hats this time of year--it can be done! Also, I'd rather be warm, so if I look kinda funky when I take my hat off, well, at least my ears aren't frost-bitten!

spirals
January 29th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I'm in Wisconsin and still refuse to wear a hat. :lol: They're just uncomfortable. Oh, and yesterday the *high* was -6 F.

Chromis
January 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I'm in MN (enjoying above zero weather for the first time in days today!) and I wear hats all the time over buns/twists, etc. But...I knit my own hats, so they are super stretchy and super warm (yay for colorwork floats). I don't think I could fit a store-bought hat over my head+updo. But with my own hats it becomes a matter of stretching it out as it goes on and not moving it till it comes off (and not catching the hat on pins). Sometimes I get a little frizz, but not usually. I pretty much live in hats this time of year--it can be done! Also, I'd rather be warm, so if I look kinda funky when I take my hat off, well, at least my ears aren't frost-bitten!

I wear my hair up and knit my own hats too, no trouble at all there! It doesn't even look at that mussed when I take my hat off...or at least not any more than it does in the summer :D

I meant more the quiffs and twists and little front bits people keep mentioning. Even with my nice stretchy knit hats, those would be pulled out of place or at least *really* mussed. I am surprised to hear so many people don't wear hats in the cold!

spidermom
January 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I have bangs that are kind of piecey and looped looking, not quite long enough to go around for a curl but trying. Also little curly bits are falling around my face because all my layers do not stay back.

I was vacuuming and sweating (lunch break now).

Andeee
January 29th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I like the sideswept bangs look, but don't want to actually cut bangs so I just part my hair in the middle and then pull a chunk of hair from the side as if it was bangs. It is somewhat severe but I like it anyway--the messiness of my thick-ish wavy and sometimes spirally hair counteracts the severity.

I'll post a pic eventually...

breezefaerie
January 29th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I have sideswept bangs. My forehead is so high that it would look like my hairline started at the back of my head if i scraped everything back. :(
I also can't wear hats. I can do hoods and ear muffs for the freezing weather we have had lately.

Bellechevelure
January 29th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Here the temperature is around -35 °c and I refuse to wear hat. They make my hair look greasy in no time! But I rarely wear updo, I look to harsh with them. :(

Eniratak
January 29th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I side part - mostly on the ride side. I have a widow's peak that I'm not particularly fond of so just pulling it back doesn't work for me.

fraulein_doktor
January 29th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I pull it all back with no part, but I have a lot of baby hair that do somehow soften the look.

What I hate is the sight from the side: if I wear my hair a bit less tight my dyed hair contrasts horribly with the virgin hair at the temples, but if I slick it back then my weird hairline make me look like I'm starting to go bald (it's not because of damage/traction, sadly, it has always been this way, even as a kid, so I don't think I could really fix it).

Bangs don't work for me because: long nose.

curlsgalore
January 29th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I'm so used to having a "pouf" that I feel that I look awful with slicked back hair. My face is also a little fuller than I'd like it to be at the moment. Maybe as I lose weight and my face slims down then I will try hairstyles without the pouf. I envy those that can get away with slicking their hair back. My hair is curly so I probably wouldn't "slick" it back but would at least like to be able to just pull back my hair without fussing with the front. :)

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:02 PM
This style is very easy to achieve and it definitely helps avoid the sleeked-down look:
Amy Adams at Golden Globes 2014
http://www.bellasugar.com/Amy-Adams-Hair-Makeup-How--Golden-Globes-2014-33478851#photo-33478853
http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/package/gallery/0,,20768373_20773262_30082242,00.html

Just do one or more accent braids from the area close to forehead and you're done!
Advantages:
- No need to cut bangs or layers.
- No need to braid all the way down - just until the braid meets the bun.
- No pins needed.
- Best style for hiding any greasies and stretching a wash, because it gives root-lift in the greasiest, most visible area of the scalp.
- Accent braids hold a very long time, so you can keep them for the next day or two - they look even better, bigger, less sleek.
- Great, natural-looking braid-outs after this style.

LanaBanana
January 30th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I do a side part and then do twists on each side that lead into the bun. It adds volume and detail to the sides, plus any greasiness looks intentionally shiny instead of gross and flat. Thanks for asking this question, there are so many good ideas in this thread that I will use!

Loviatar
January 30th, 2014, 11:33 PM
I do a pouf or if I want to look really fancy, a full on Gibson girl pompadour with a 'rat' made of synthetic hair. I am too impatient to collect shed hair to make a real hair rat!

As for not flattening it I prefer my knitted calorimetry instead of a hat, and I fix it behind the pouf but it still keeps my ears warm.

Mainesongbird
January 31st, 2014, 07:05 AM
I like to do a poof or pompadour or a French or dutch lace braid in the front so to add a little interest.

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 07:41 AM
I have straight bangs, so it softens updo's. Still I like a hair fork more than hair sticks in the front, I'm still asking myself why :p

Yozhik
January 31st, 2014, 08:14 AM
I cut in long bangs/ffls about 2 months ago - I have one layer at chin+ and another at collarbone+. These help if I pull them out or wear a low updo or side braid. Otherwise, sometimes I do twists or lace braids. Mostly, though, I can't be bothered. I don't think the slicked back look looks all that horrible on me, I guess (or I'm just lazy). :shrug:

As to the hats question - I never wear a hat. If it's really cold, I wear a hood, and if even a hood isn't cutting it, I wrap a scarf around my head under that. :agree:

Achlys
January 31st, 2014, 08:54 AM
I wear buns quite low and keep my centre part. My temples are very thin and have only short baby hairs, so I don't want to show them. That area also has some short wispies that fall out of the bun. I don't like them very much, but bobby pins cannot hold them back in my slippery hair. My face looks pretty good with updos and I like to show my neck.

Rio040113
January 31st, 2014, 10:28 AM
I usually have some kind of fringe (bangs) and face framing layers, so those keep my updos from looking to harsh on me. If I don't want my fringe down I'll either twist it to the side, braid it or pin it back into a little pouf. If I'm not going out of the house I tend to just comb all my hair straight back for ease :)

Robot Ninja
January 31st, 2014, 07:47 PM
I am hairstyling incompetent so I just pull it straight back, but I don't wear updos unless I'm deliberately going for the severe, pulled-back look or I'm just going to the store and don't care. I have sworn off bangs forever because I have cowlicks and they're a pain in the butt and growing them out is even more of a pain in the butt, and face framing layers just go all wonky from tucking them behind my ears all the time.

ErinLeigh
February 1st, 2014, 03:04 AM
I do the exact same thing as askan, I make the bump with my grown-out-bang layers and put some strands of hair on the side since I definitely think having my hair slicked back does not suit me. A tip I learned from a hairdresser to have the poof stay is to twist it once and put a bobby pin through the twist parallel (with the "grain").

This has probably been mentioned but if you're not too opposed to heat, you can curl just one or two locks of hair on the side. If you don't want to use heat, you can try curling the hair around your finger when wet and then pushing a bobby pin through it and let it dry like that. Some hair types don't hold well though but it's worth a try!

Not sure if you've seen this already, but here's another link to softening updos:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66499

Links are always appreciated. Thank you. The search bar never works for me on this forum so I am probably super redundant for a lot of long timers with many topics. I do appreciate the fact folks still join in to assist regardless when these things come up.

ErinLeigh
February 1st, 2014, 03:23 AM
I wear buns quite low and keep my centre part. My temples are very thin and have only short baby hairs, so I don't want to show them. That area also has some short wispies that fall out of the bun. I don't like them very much, but bobby pins cannot hold them back in my slippery hair. My face looks pretty good with updos and I like to show my neck.

My temple area gives me the worse problems whether I wear hair up or down. I am pretty satisfied with my hair in the general sense but my temples! ahhhh They make me crazy. I need to assess what is baby hair, what is broken hair and figure something out. If it is broken hair I need to not color that section, but in the meantime I need to figure dealing with them I think is what truly makes my updos look bizarre on me.
I too like my neck. I like my ears also. These little things are all I got so I want to show them but the temples are ruining that for me :)

---------

I wonder if I could arrange somehow a magical swoop that covers hairline, frames face, doesn't get into my eyes, and doesn't snag on my glasses.

I tried the poof but it elongated my face and made my temple area look more narrow. Next will have to play with some side poof and twists. I need something for bulk to round out the hairline somehow to change the illusion of the peanut I am working with. Just nothing looks right due to the hairline/temple area.

I am going to have to suck it up and let some hair fall onto my face and that is that.
It looks nice on everyone else so I think it will come down to figuring the correct length for my bangs

I want to thank you all so much for the ideas. I need them as I am going to have to discuss what I want with stylist and will need to refer to these ideas so she can cut hair to work with it.
I know this all seems silly but I truly do not know anyone who wears hair up except one girl and she slicks back so I needed input

ErinLeigh
February 1st, 2014, 03:52 AM
I have bangs that are kind of piecey and looped looking, not quite long enough to go around for a curl but trying. Also little curly bits are falling around my face because all my layers do not stay back.

I was vacuuming and sweating (lunch break now).

May I ask how far down your bangs fall when wet and dry?

MissBubble
February 1st, 2014, 04:02 AM
I have two layers to frame my face. One at middle ear length and one at chin length. They make me look better with updos, especially with the lower ones that make me look too official or harsh. With high ponytails, which I rarely do, or high buns, I prefer to hide the layers.

Natalia
February 1st, 2014, 04:23 AM
Updo hair rant!

I like to wear my hair up for comfort but cannot pull it off for "style" due to my weird hairline, peanut head and long nose. It just looks harsh and odd. I also have little frizzy curly baby hairs at temple.
I was wondering how all of you do the front when you wear hair up. Is it mostly just slicked back or is there some sort of "arranging" the front to make it look better?

I truly need bangs if I am going to pull off looking good with hair up but bangs wont stay in place. My hair is super fine, prone to frizz and I live in a humid climate which means as soon as I walk outside they will puff up. Any suggestions on how to work bangs or ways to make the front of an updo look less harsh?

While here, anyone care to tell what their updos look like from the front? Is it parted, slicked back, bangs? I always see the photos of the backs and wonder what they look like in the front.

This is a constant debate for me and lately ive been so fed up im 80% sure im going back to bangs. I really hate how I look without them and its starting to be worth the trouble of having them to feel ok when I look at myself. Which frankly right now I avoid :(. My scalp is sensitive and I have fine/thin hair as well so the dramatic side part doesn't work for me in updo's on a regular basis so im just a slick back with alow gel girl for the time being.

If you want a different potentially less maitenace bangs look you can do like my sisiter. She does a smaller subdued verson of an 80's bang (like the pic at the top of this page -http://www.heartlessdoll.com/2008/11/top_10_hairstyles_of_the_80s.php?page=2- just WAY smaller). Requires less trimming and you can gel it or spray it firmer than typical front bangs so it may withstand the humidity better.

Federica
February 1st, 2014, 05:08 AM
This is a new updo I tried last night for a friend's birthday party, it's really comfortable and I think it looks great from front.
I don't know how to call this updo, maybe someone here could help me.
Here are some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/KcTS2YZl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gAjFFfkl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zd45fQHl.jpg

Kina
February 1st, 2014, 06:32 AM
very nice federica.

My face is round and my forehead is high. I love my bangs, but am letting them grow to give them a break from daily blowdrying. My hair is too curly to let them be natural at this length without them sticking out at right angles to my forehead. As the get longer, I'll be able to let them curl and fall to the sides. My favorite way to avoid pulling my hair to tightly back is to bend forward and let my hair fall, grab it close to the scalp where I want the bun to sit, straighten and finish the bun. leaves a looser bun and is a softer look.

Hypnotica
February 1st, 2014, 06:38 AM

I have these kind of muffs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-New-Men-Women-Winter-Warm-Fleece-Earmuff-Earcap-Earlap-Ear-Warmer-Headband-/370966462155?pt=US_Unisex_Accessories&var=&hash=item565f52fecb

redredrobin
February 1st, 2014, 06:43 AM
This is a new updo I tried last night for a friend's birthday party, it's really comfortable and I think it looks great from front.
I don't know how to call this updo, maybe someone here could help me.
Here are some pics:

Wow that's very pretty! It's hard to tell because your hair is dark, it looks braided though. What were the steps for the updo?

Kina
February 1st, 2014, 06:44 AM

I wear a hat like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pvqbNB6YL._SX425_.jpg

it has enough room for any updo + toy and keeps my head warm :-)

I find that if I wear it for too long, it does flatten it a bit, but I'll take the tradeoff

Federica
February 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM
Wow that's very pretty! It's hard to tell because your hair is dark, it looks braided though. What were the steps for the updo?
Well, is like a dutch braid but you start braiding a section from the center of your scalp and turning it around, adding small sections of hair , and this is what you get after 4/5 turns.
My hair is between waist and hip but I think it could be done on shorter hair, too.

walterSCAN
February 1st, 2014, 08:53 AM
Links are always appreciated. Thank you. The search bar never works for me on this forum so I am probably super redundant for a lot of long timers with many topics. I do appreciate the fact folks still join in to assist regardless when these things come up.

I have a lot of trouble getting the search function on this site to cooperate, too. What I've started doing is just using google-- enter your search terms then space and enter 'site:longhaircommunity.com' (without the single quotes). It always comes up with more results and it lets you search with shorter terms. (I haven't tried in a while, but I'm pretty sure the search here doesn't let you do 2-3 letter terms, which is frustrating when you want to search things like CO and WO, etc.)

That said, most of us don't mind answering questions, so don't feel bad asking!

MeganE
February 1st, 2014, 05:16 PM
I don't usually bother with it, but updos always look nicer on me if I start with a half-up with a pretty clip. That helps provide volume around the top, and it adds some interest rather than "slicked" back. And I can easily pull down a few of my layers on either side around the temple.

You can also braid the sides, which helps add interest. Can do a braided headband, too.

I also have seen and heard described a style where one grabs a handful of hair on the top of the head before pulling the rest of the hair back into the updo, which leaves a large handful of loose of hair on top of the head, that one then artfully arranges. I've seen it done, but I think my hair is too slippery for it to look good. To be honest I haven't tried though now it's probably long enough to work.

ashke50
February 1st, 2014, 05:42 PM
My hair is fine and thin enough that the attempts to give it volume generally fail quite quickly, and end looking silly.
I generally just have a side parting, and make no effort to increase volume or anything. I know that having my hair up isn't as flattering as having my hair loose, but it isn't bad, and it keeps the hair out of the way and protected!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9050&thumb=1&d=1391301331 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11317&attachmentid=9050)

It does annoy me a bit when I get gaps in the front, which happens more if it is greasy:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9051&thumb=1&d=1391301332 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11317&attachmentid=9051)

If I'm dressing up I'll sometimes do a bun which starts with a rope lace braid, which looks a lot more interesting from the front!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9052&thumb=1&d=1391301333 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11317&attachmentid=9052)

Heatherzilla
February 1st, 2014, 06:03 PM
I tend to just have mine slicked back because it's easy, but I don't think it's particularly flattering on me. Sometimes I'll braid the front back which looks much nicer, but can take a while to get neat. I kind of want to try having a fringe or face framing layers, but I'm not sure how that would work out on my curly hair. Can any curlies chime in?

spirals
February 2nd, 2014, 06:51 PM
http://www.heartlessdoll.com/2008/11/top_10_hairstyles_of_the_80s.php?page=2- just WAY smaller). Requires less trimming and you can gel it or spray it firmer than typical front bangs so it may withstand the humidity better.

That whole article is great! I remember all that stuff from the 80s.

CurlyCap
February 2nd, 2014, 07:08 PM
I have a squarish face rounded out by fatness. But my hair has lots of height, so I usually get away with a straight back or single part look.

http://i.imgur.com/QnE1QDV.jpg?1

MeganE
February 2nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
I have a squarish face rounded out by fatness. But my hair has lots of height, so I usually get away with a straight back or single part look.

CurlyCap, your straight back looks amazing! Oh to have the volume of the curlies!!!

Federica
February 8th, 2014, 04:32 AM
CurlyCap your hair looks gorgeous from the front, I love the volume!
And I think you have also beautiful eyes and smile :)

UP Lisa
February 11th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I would love to have bangs, but they are just so thin and awful. Get greasy right away, and never stay in place. I had them for years, but said "never again!".

I have bangs and wear buns on top of my head. I have chubby cheeks and a high forehead so need a lot to distract away from that.

Have you tried a hair rat for height? It gives the illusion of teased hair.

SkyChild
February 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM

I wear a loose knitted woolly hat. Kind of like a beanie/beret lovechild. There's enough material in it that I can wear it loose around the front/top of my hair

Mizumi
February 15th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I have bangs that are shoulder length right now, it won't stay in braid so it frames face a little, but it also falls on my eyes - that's what happen when hair here is very fine, greasy and really smooth - it just lays flat. Having a bun is more comfortable due to it, but my face looks a LOT worse in updos than loose, so I don't feel too pretty, sigh.

LMB
February 16th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I'm not a huge fan of my hair in updos, I think it accentuates my small head but I do put it up as it protects it.

If I am doing a braid then i usually leave it in the side part but for buns i just pull it straight back. I put it up when it is mostly dry though, and I usually don't comb it back or anything so it's not as severe. I have fluffy baby hairs at the front that fall out throughout the day and i suppose that softens the look a little bit.

I used to have side bangs (several years ago) and I liked the way they looked with updos but because my hair is so fine and I kept pushing them out of my face they just ended up in one big greasy clump by the end of the day.

Soltimus
February 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM
This is why I'm not so into updos. I just do not like how I look with my hair up. Yeah, if it's high up like at the top of the back of my head and kind of SWOOSH and puffed up and everywhere then it's ok. It's like my chubby cheeks need something to balance them out at the top of my head, ha ha. I used to wear it up in a very messy kind of pony and I think it looked really great and suited me. Unfortunately the tangles and the wear and tear from wearing my hair in the same way every day wasn't too good to it so I gave it up :(

If I do wear my hair up in some form or another I'll try not to have the hair look too neat, and I'll pull a few hairs out at the front and sides to frame my face a bit.

Horrorpops
February 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I really don't like my face when everything is just pulled back which is why I love my side fringe and layers. I can pull them out for a more relaxed, casual updo but also pin and slick them back for a more neat, styled updo. :) it totally depends on people's face though - some women look amazing with everything slicked back! So jealous of them!

Horrorpops
February 16th, 2014, 08:23 PM
I really don't like my face when everything is just pulled back which is why I love my side fringe and layers. I can pull them out for a more relaxed, casual updo but also pin and slick them back for a more neat, styled updo. :) it totally depends on people's face though - some women look amazing with everything slicked back! So jealous of them!

RoseofCimarron
February 16th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I am rather lazy and usually sleep in a little too late in the mornings, so I just pull it all back in to a bun. I like the severe pulled-back look, even though it has made some people think I am up to 20 years older than I really am! Most days, I don't fix my bun very often and my little wispies will fall out and make it look softer, but when my hair is greasy I'll French braid the my "bangs" to the side (I have a curved side part) or do two French/Dutch braids into a bun. It always has to be two braids when I do that, I think a single French braid base looks horrible on me.

My "bangs" are now almost classic length, but when they were shorter I did the poof, pinned it to the side, side French braid, pigtails up above my ears (I don't know what I was thinking with that idea :doh:), and back into a ponytail. I have a friend who wears bangs and clips the sides of her hair back with barrettes, and I absolutely love that look.

As to the hat question, I'm in Oregon (formerly in Washington) and I never wear hats. I might wear a baseball hat in the summer, but nothing in the winter. Baseball caps, cowboy hats, and tam o' shanter hats are the only hats that (I think) look good on me, and I get teased for wearing two out of three of those. I also just don't like to wear hats very much. I love those slouchy beanie hats on other people though!

Kimberly
February 17th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Little curly tendrils get loose around my hairline and soften things up. I think they're pretty, and they're actually one of the reasons I wanted long hair to pin up in the first place.

Regarding the hat thing, a more structured hat that sits with the weight at the band instead of on top of the head mashes hair a lot less, or hardly at all. I mean a well-fitted cloche, fedora, etc. in which the inside top of the hat may not even touch your hair at all. Take it off, fluff with fingers, and that's that, in my experience, especially if I made sure not to have my hair down across my forehead to be sweated on under the hat. With a hat of this type (as opposed to ball caps or knitted beanies), you also get to have all the fun of hat pins, which require an updo to work -- another species of hair toy! Anyway, according to traditional etiquette, ladies aren't expected to remove that sort of hat, so you can completely skip public hat head this way. Can you tell I love hats? :)

Wisé
February 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM
For years I felt uncomfortable with my hair when pulled back and didn't even know what I didn't like or why I found it unsightly. But in the last 2 years I came up with different ways to hide my extremely uneven hairline and fake volume my thin & fine hair doesn't posses. I was actually thinking about cutting bangs for the first time since elementary school but was unsure what kind of (especially since my curls are so unpredictable), so I started experimenting with fake bangs to see how they would look. And in the end I liked them so much I'm not going to cut bangs any time soon (I would miss the lost length dearly in the puny volume of my updos).

All techniques require me to have my hair parted in some way because slick back has not once in my whole life looked good on my hair.
Ideas I came up with (some of which have already been mentioned)

- Make low buns or braids and tug slighty on the face framing strands to make them look loose and soft

- Pull the hair back into your hairstyle and afterwards try pulling out whispies around your temple area through stroking over your hair in the direction of your face. Try styling them or to get them to clump so they'll look purposeful (if it looks like this: http://www.kulturlandschaft-moritzburg.de/assets/Image/Arrangements/aschenbroedel2.jpg then you're doing it right). The advantage of this method is, that all frizz candidates that are tamed like this will less likely stick out later.

- tuck your hair behind your ears in a way that they'll create a frame for your face you like. Then take a headband and just put in on top, leaving a few cm to your hairline, without disturbing the way your hair lies but so that the headband holds it in place (will not work on updos where the hair is pulled tightly)

- take the sides of your hair and roll them loosely upwards & back (hard to explain, just look at this pic: https://lh3.ggpht.com/-15AwyLNqQ_8/TZ1K2FmRxWI/AAAAAAABOKY/upovxd9whVc/s1600/LongBraid.jpg) and secure it with pins. Then make your updo (the updo should be low or in the center of the head, this will look really strange if the updo is higher)

- Create face framing strands on one or both sides (This works well on my curly hair, but I don't know how it will fair on wavy or straight hair): Look at the length of your hair and decide which strands have the nicest looking ends. Take those strands and pin each hidden under the hairline above your forehead in a way that will frame your face to your liking (I prefer two strands right beside my part, but you could use more or less strands and place them anywhere from your part to just before your ears). The pinning is a bit tricky, you can use two crossed over bobby pins or one flat clip. Lift the strand of hair you want to hide the clipping under and clip underneath. The loop your longer strand of hair will create after being pinned can just be pulled back and pinned on its farthest side to look as if it was going into the hairstyle, too. The advantage of this method lies in flexibility to pick the most beautiful lock on your head to frame your face. But this trick should not be used on too regular a basis because the hair around your hairline will get damaged from the stress eventually.

- fake bangs: take the strands closest to your part (or strands you would use if you were to cut side swept bangs) and bring them low on your forehead and then behind your ears to clip them securely there. Make your updo while treating those strands as if they originated behind your ears. This is very similar to the headband method above, but you can make hairstyles as tightly and as high on your head as you want if you clip the strands well.

These methods do not stand as is, you can mix and match them in many ways. For example if I want to do something extra nice I have a thick curl of whispies on the side where my slightly sided part is (it's less than 1 cm off center or else one side will look to puny), then I create fake bangs on both sides, but thicker on the side without curl, then braid the sides back in french braids (the tricky part is to incoorporate the fake bangs in the braids) and top it of with a thin headband.
On normal days I only use the whispy curl and/or one fake bang on the other side.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry if some instructions are too unclear, just ask me if you need clarification. I'm sorry I can't include pics for the styles, but my camera is right now on a skiing vacation without me.