PDA

View Full Version : Shiny curls? Tried Steam Curler No Luck

Fantak
January 28th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Hello there :)

I usually bun my hair and end up with really nice curls, but I'm looking for the shiny-ness of heat curling.

I have tried steam curlers a number of times, and although I get great curls I don't get any gloss or shine. Is there any special way to use them or product you could suggest to increase the shine? I haven't tried any product before curling although I do have a few serums lying around..

I oil my ends regularly and am generally very gentle with my hair.

Thank you for your help!

Vanilla
January 28th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I had success using a mousse in my hair prior to using the steam rollers. I also let the rollers dry completely before removing them. I finally had curls that were shiny and lasted a long time.

Ultrabella gave me a few tips about the steam rollers, and she said they shouldn't be used with oil on your hair. If you need to add some more moisture to the curls, use Shea butter, and not an oil. I found that I didn't even need the Shea butter.

gillybeanxo3921
January 28th, 2014, 12:25 PM
coconut oil always helps me, but sometimes it can make the hair greasy if you use too much!

velorutionista
January 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I'm going to second coconut oil or something similar...works for me when I do overnight bun curls or braid waves, though it tends to weigh my fine-ish hair down if I use to much, so I'd suggest a light hand!

Fantak
January 28th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

I use mineral oil, all other ouls tend to go rancid in my hair :o (I know it's awful!!)

Will try without oil and see how it goes.

Which mousse do you use Vanilla? The mousses I've tried make my hair stiff :/

Vanilla
January 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I use Nexxus mousse plus. It did leave my hair a little stiff before I put it in the rollers, but after it was curled, there wasn't any stiffness at all in my hair.

I also love mineral oil in my hair! It's such a great leave in, for every other hairstyle except curls.