PDA

View Full Version : Have no idea what's happening to my hair

Kate199023
January 27th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Sorry if this not where this goes. Anyway my story goes like this . I've had really long hair since I was 4 or 5. I wore in a ponytail for years and used a blow dryer on it. A few weeks ago I found out I lost most of the length and my hair was uneven. I had to get it cut to even it out. Well now I seem to be shading a lot . I've lost like 30 to 50 strands when I wash it. Also when I touch it stands fall out. I've been under a lot of stress lately. I also been on antidepressants for years. Can someone help me out here? thanks.

Yozhik
January 27th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Hi! First of all, welcome to the forum! :flower:

In general, a good place to start might be to check out the useful links (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=11) to orient yourself on the forum.

You're probably seeing the culmination of a bunch of mechanical damage over a long period of time, since the longer hair gets, the more it gets exposed to the elements, and the more fragile it is. It sounds like you might be causing mechanical damage by always wearing it in a ponytail, especially depending on the ponytail holder you're using, and if you secure it in the same spot every day. Could you change up your style by braiding or bunning your hair? You might also want to look into more hair-friendly hair ties if you haven't done so already (ribbon ties, cut up pantyhose, or seamless non-metal ones are popular here). A lot of people also use forks, sticks, or clips as a way to reduce mechanical damage when securing their hair

Additionally, blow drying may be causing damage and making your hair dry out unnecessarily and lose moisture. If possible, I'd suggest reducing blow-drying. I wash my hair at night, for example, so when I wake up it's somewhat dry for the next day. You could also try to blow dry on cooler settings.

It's totally normal to shed 50-100 hairs over the course of the day, so I wouldn't worry too much about the shedding, unless it's increased drastically from what you used to shed. Stress can reflect itself in hair shedding usually about 3 months after its (stressful event's) onset. Also, some antidepressants can cause hair loss, but you'll want to check the side-effects of the one you're on to see if yours is one of them.

My advice: try not to worry and pamper yourself. Treat yourself and your hair gently. How is your diet? Do you eat enough protein and oils? Many people on the forum also use oil topically on their hair length and ends to give it slip and do deep treatments, as well. Coconut oil is very popular, because it's one of the few oils able to penetrate the hair shaft, rather than just coating the exterior, so you may want to give that a try. What is your wash routine like? (Do you wash every day, do you shampoo and condition, do you use silicones and sulfates, etc.?). This may also help people pinpoint some things that you could try to change or experiment with to see if they help you.

Welcome again, and don't hesitate to ask more questions! :flowers:

Kate199023
January 27th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I know longer blow dry it . I don't where it up either now. I want to try and where in a claw clip from now . The antidepressants I'm on I've been on for years. I just had to rewash my hair casue for some reason it didn't look clean. I wash my hair evey other day due to haveing oily hair. I use tresemme anti breakage shampoo and conditioner. I also use thair spit end split remedy leave in conditioner.

ETA: Also for got to add since I got it cut it seems to be shading a lot more . I'm finding strands all over the place.

Yozhik
January 28th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Could it be that now you're noticing more sheds because you're paying attention to it? By your stats in your sidebar, it looks like you got a 2.5" cut, and I don't know how that would affect shedding. It's probably the culmination of damage over a period of time, if I had to guess.

It's great that you're stretching washes and have stopped heat! This works wonders for many members.

Other than that, all I can really say is that for hair to be healthy, your body needs to be healthy, so it's important not only how you're treating it, but what you're eating and what kind of nutrients you're getting. Just like animals, eating protein and (good) fatty foods can help hair be glossy and healthy in humans. Since hair is a fairly non-essential part of the body, if overall health begins to decline or you're not getting enough vital calories, nutrients, etc., then your hair will show this lack of health first.

Remember when you're changing up your routine and experimenting with different things to try to change things one at a time in order to pinpoint what is helping you and what doesn't seem to work for you.

Good luck and happy growing! :flower:

Madora
January 28th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Kate199023, do you comb or brush your hair every day? Some of the "shedding" might be due to not combing every day. If you skip a day or so, the shed hairs sometimes do not fall to the floor. Instead, they get caught in your other hair. Try daily brushing with a boar bristle brush. If you don't brush, use a wide tooth comb (be sure to detangle your hair before combing). Good luck!

Kate199023
January 28th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I could be just noticing it more. I try and detangle with my fingers when I get out of the shower .

ETA: What's upsetting me is the fact I find long hairs on my laptop and on my hoodie.

mz_butterfly
January 28th, 2014, 10:31 PM
You said you found out a few weeks ago that you lost half your length and it was uneven. That's a little confusing, how did you find out you lost most of the length? Did it just break off? What happened?

Kate199023
January 28th, 2014, 10:42 PM
it just broke off I guess. I have thin hair and it was always in a ponytail so I did't notice it. I've always had it pulled back since I was a kid. Right now I just want quit seeing hairs all over the place like my laptop and hoodie.

Kate199023
January 29th, 2014, 02:14 AM
This might help you guys decide what may hair needs as I have no clue lol

Back view of my hair.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z16/Walkerfan/001-7.jpg
Its shoulder blade or or a bit longer in length but its hard to tell since my hair likes to curl up. Its a bit sorter in one spot do to the way it had to be cut. I had one piece that was very uneven. She cut my hair one way as I told her I wanted it shoulder length and left the real uneven part there. She then told me if I didn't cut it I'd e have to come back every 6 weeks to keep it even. So after hearing that I told her to cut that piece out.

front view
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z16/Walkerfan/002-2.jpg
You can see with the photo is shoulder length .

I'm not sure what it is I need to make it grow back long.

hoopalou
January 29th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Your hair looks lovely to me. It's nice and shiny and healthy looking! I am on antidepressants too, so I'm asking this from a place of knowledge :roll eyes: but do you think you might be fixating on your hair to avoid other things?

Kate199023
January 29th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Ugh wish I knew how to edit posts here sorry for the multiple posts. I don't really understand the whole length
and hair type charts so I just took a guess when filling out the profile lol

hoopalou
January 29th, 2014, 02:27 AM
P.S the 'roll eyes' bit was because I have absolutely been there… and placed all my focus on one thing to the detriment of everything else

ETA: you can't edit post until you have a certain amount of posts under your belt. It might be 25 I think.

Kate199023
January 29th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Thank you for the nice words As for the question Can't really say I'm trying to avoid anything though .I've always had waist length or about waist length since I can remember. I have always had low self esteem and my hair was the one thing that made me feel pretty. . When I was 15 my mom went into a nursing home due to Multiple sclerosis and that's when my stress begin. I've been on
antidepressants since I was like 9 due to ADHD and and OCD. I noticed some hair falling out after my sister moved back in when I was 18. We don't have a good relationship . When I was about to turn 18 I got down to 95 pounds due to not being able to eat cause of digestive issues .So not sure if that had something to due with it or not. Anyway I noticed it really getting bad when I started using Suave naturals shampoo. It got real frizzy and it was murder getting the tangles out. I believe its a combo of never getting trimmed, not using conditioner , wearing in the same place with a ponytail and blow drying it. also I was combing and brushing it wrong.

hoopalou
January 29th, 2014, 02:46 AM
The weight loss and emotional stress would have had a lot to do with hair loss. When I was particularly ill once I lost about 30lbs in one month and my hair went very, very thin. To the point that I actually went to my doctor because the loss was so much. It did grow back when I got to a more even keel in my life.

The loss of your hair is probably making your self esteem feel even lower….. but as someone who doesn't know you and has never seen you before, I would say that your hair is gorgeous!

As for the Sauve shampoo…. we don't get that brand here in Ireland. But it could just be the case that it doesn't suit your hair. Not all shampoos suit everybody.

Kate199023
January 29th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Thank you again and your hair is lovey as well. I'm on the road to get it back to at least below my bra . My mom's hair does the same frizziness with the same shampoo so I think it has to do with our hair type. She's of sound mind still btw. I'm going to go see the Doctor pretty soon just to make sure I got nothing crazy going on. I use Tresemme shampoo now. Off the subject but being of Irish descent I'd love to go to Ireland .

Wosie
January 29th, 2014, 03:20 AM
When you look at the hairs that you've been shedding, do they normally have the root of the hair (a small, white bulb) attached to them?

bunzfan
January 29th, 2014, 04:09 AM
I think your hair looks gorgeous :agree: but i also suffer from anxiety and depression especially in the winter months and i came to the conclusion that instead of focusing on aspects of my life that are troubling or upsetting me i focus on the condition or length of my hair, in the past i trimmed alot in my quest for perfect looking hair...now, i know i do this i refrain from doing it.

I lost a lot of hair a few years ago just after my dad died so a traumatic event have you been under more stress than normal?? i know when people are depressed they often dont eat properly because you just dont have the energy for it but i suggest you eat reasonably healthy if you can dairy, fresh of frozen vegetables and plenty of protein and get enough sleep..on the hair front look into braiding it its much better than ponytails and look at gentle de tangling methods i found that a wooden comb is great.

Kate199023
January 29th, 2014, 04:18 AM
thanks everyone

Agnes Hannah
January 29th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Hi Kate, another here suffering with depression, been undiagnosed for years probably, anyway on the pills now. Your hair is beautifully glossy, shiny and really healthy looking, and you are so pretty too. I wish I could give you a hug, it will all come right. Here on the forum there are many who understand what you are going through, there are lovely people here who can give you lots of advice and support too. You have been through a tough time and you have come through that, which says a lot about your inner strength that you may not know you have but you do have. Take care of yourself, you are a special person.x

Firefox7275
January 29th, 2014, 06:21 AM
The best treatments for mild to moderate depression and anxiety are a combination of targeted nutrition, physical activity/ exercise and stress management techniques. By all means combine this with prescribed medication, but those alone are rarely the solution to chronic mental health issues (speaking from personal experience and looking at the published research).

bunzfan
January 29th, 2014, 06:36 AM
The best treatments for mild to moderate depression and anxiety are a combination of targeted nutrition, physical activity/ exercise and stress management techniques. By all means combine this with prescribed medication, but those alone are rarely the solution to chronic mental health issues (speaking from personal experience and looking at the published research).

So true as a past suffer of depression and pnd i can relate eating properly and getting enough relaxation is key taking up a hobby has helped many, even just a daily walk of 20 minutes can lift the mood and setting yourself short tasks that you know you can achieve gives a sense of achievement.

Yozhik
January 29th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Your hair looks very pretty and glossy! :flowers:

From what you're saying, I think that your gentler hair care techniques plus nourishing your hair from within (i.e. good eating habits) will improve any problems you're having right now. Unfortunately, as I mentioned previously, the hair shed you are experiencing now (if it is, in fact, due to stress) isn't something that you can stop immediately because it reflects stress from a few months ago; however, you can do preventative measures now to help you regain lost thickness and pamper your hair and the new hair that is growing in.

Someone else mentioned something really important - if you look at your sheds, make sure to examine if they are falling out with the root bulb or not. If so, then they are shedding, but if there is not root bulb, then that's breakage (friction against the back of your chair, pillow, hoodie, zippers, etc.).

LHC is a great support network - there are many threads that can help you out not only with hair, but also to connect to other long hair growers who have depression. :flower:

Kate199023
January 29th, 2014, 03:10 PM
to answer the question to Wosie most of the hairs that fall out due seem to have a white thing or bulb at the end.

ETA: Thanks once more to you all for being so nice and answering my questions. Most of the hair seems to have a white blub or white thing at the end. Some of the hairs don't but most I've found do. I'm starting to talk vitamin E and biotin hoping it will help.

Kate199023
January 31st, 2014, 12:53 AM
I think the hair shed could be due to my shampoo and conditioner. I use Tresemme so not sure if that has anything to due with it.

Browneyedbelle9
January 31st, 2014, 01:07 AM
Some people hate Tresemme but I don't think it would be that damaging.

Most hair dressers say no silcones in any hair products- maybe go to a doctor if you're worried- or switch to a more natural shampoo and gentler conditioner.

ETA: I'm on Lexapro anyone else? My hair has bulby bits too

Kate199023
January 31st, 2014, 01:19 AM
I'm on Zoloft and Seroquel myself.

Browneyedbelle9
January 31st, 2014, 01:21 AM
I've been on Seroquel, couldn't stand it.

I feel so alone some days :(

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 01:53 AM
You hair is a lot prettier than you think it is.
i was surprised how good it looked in the pictures. Even the ends are shiny!

Depression is a tough one. As kitchy as it sounds vitamin and sunshine do a world of wonder for me. So does exercise. The endorphins lift the alone feeling for me. I feel significantly different when i do not get sun and exercise. I get neither now due to my graveyard shift and it is taking a major toll.

Check the side effects on the Lexapro for hair loss and talk to Dr if it persists. I think 1 in 100 do report changes using it. Depression itself it stressful which can cause the shedding also. I think these things tend to regulate themselves with time as you adjust.

I really hope things get better for you. I know myself how difficult these things can be. my family went through some really extreme serious times and they aren't over yet so I know firsthand how isolating situations can be. I just try to find the positives in anything. The smell of a new shampoo. A squirrel in the backyard eating nuts. Fresh flowers. Home cooked meals. A smile from a loved one. Just the things that make me remember why I am happy to be here. Running my hand thru sand on a beach. These things carry me through.
I am highly anxious so I have to really train my brain to think positive thoughts or I sink.

Kate199023
January 31st, 2014, 01:54 AM
I've had those days too . They suck

Browneyedbelle9
February 1st, 2014, 04:09 AM
Thanks girls xxx i really appreciate your kind words i feel less lonely being on this site :)