PDA

View Full Version : weekly clarifying?

cdonald2
January 27th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Is it okay to clarify 2x a week (thats how often i wash my hair) i notice after i clarify my hair always has more life to it... and it looks alot better... however, if its bad for it, id be okay sacrificing that.... anyone clarify super often?

Anje
January 27th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I wouldn't clarify per se, with a harsh clarifying shampoo. But if you feel your hair does best with sulfates, that's a valid option. If you're actually needing to wash that harshly that often, it's really time to re-evaluate your routine to find something less buildup-intensive.

cdonald2
January 27th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I dont HAVE to do it that often, i just love how it looks after i clarify (usually 2x monthly)

sarahthegemini
January 28th, 2014, 04:47 AM
I really wouldn't want to use a super harsh clarifying shampoo that often ...

Weewah
January 28th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I think 2x/week is too often to clarify. Maybe look for other options that will give you the nice texture you get from clarifying but without being so harsh. Like co-washing, vinegar rinses, etc? Sorry I can't be of more help since I'm also new, but clarifying 2x a week would be bad for your hair overall.

renia22
January 28th, 2014, 06:36 AM
If your hair looks and feels good and you are happy with it, keep doing what works! You can always adjust your routine down the road if you feel you need to.

lapushka
January 28th, 2014, 07:57 AM
We wash weekly here, and it's *always* a clarify-wash. So no, I don't think it hurts. As long as you moisturize well afterwards. We use conditioner twice after washing, so... and then the LOC method for styling (leave-in, gel, serum).

Madora
January 28th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't clarify per se, with a harsh clarifying shampoo. But if you feel your hair does best with sulfates, that's a valid option. If you're actually needing to wash that harshly that often, it's really time to re-evaluate your routine to find something less buildup-intensive.

I agree with you, Anje. Submitting your hair to harsh clarifying twice a week is just too much.

arr
January 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I'm like you, i like my hair to feel light, soft and clean every time i wash. I wash my hair two to three times a week with any of the Suave Naturals shampoo. Most people would consider them clarifying shampoos based on the ingredients, which from what i can tell aren't any different from the Suave Clarifying shampoo. Anyway, my scalp is just fine, my hair feels great, silky and smooth, and my ends are just fine too. I love how my hair never feels weighed down. I do use prewash oil treatments though, i add oil to my shampoo, i use any Suave Naturals conditioner, plus i add oil to some conditioner as a leave in. So it may be that the oil keeps things from being too harsh, i dont know. All i know is this works for me.

arcane
January 28th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I wash once a week and I always use a clarifying shampoo. As its the only thing that helps my scalp. I do CWC and pre oil with coconut oil. For a while I thought my hair was too dry so I ended up over moisturizing (and caused so much damage before I figured that out) and I realized my hair is coarse not really dry. My hair also loves protein more than moisture as well. So it's not unheard of use clarifying shampoo regularly but for a lot of people it may be just to harsh.

ErinLeigh
January 28th, 2014, 01:45 PM
What shampoo do you use to clarify? And what conditioner afterwards? Just curious.
I love the clean hair feel and clarify once a week. Sometimes with a sulfate based like VO5 mint tea one and sometimes with a sulfate free clarify/chelating one by Itely. rest of time I cowash, or use super gentle shampoos since I wash 5 times a week.

cdonald2
January 28th, 2014, 02:05 PM
ive actually started using VO5 due to your recommendation in another post i only wash about 2-3 times week. and i know this sounda scareligious but i dont condition when i clarify... It doesnt tangle or anything. But if im being cautious im using my bumble and bumble stuff now. I use the shampoo too sometimes but its too expensive to keep up with. After i finish it im looking to get a heavy protein based shampoo which my hair absolutely needs since i did a deep treatment 3 weeks ago and its right back to needing another despite the 6 week recommendation.

So if anyone knows of some great protein based shampoo Help me out. (not mane n tail!!! dried out my hair like crazy!)

cdonald2
January 28th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Do you know of a good protein based shampoo? my hair is starving for more protein in my regimine and i have nooooo idea where to turn to. I used aphogee two step and it looekd great after but now only 2-3 weeks later my hair is lacking protein (they recommend using it every 6 weeks too) so im looking for a good shampoo. If you can recommend any send em my way!

MissHoney
January 28th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I have Neutrogena no-residue shampoo. I am not sure if it is 'clarifying', it doesn't say so on the bottle but it does say to remove build up. I find it very gentle on my hair compared to most other sulfate shampoos. I can use it for light shampooing or I can 'rinse and repeat' for squeaky clean (but never dried out!) hair, which I would only do before a deep treatment.

Cdonald2, I am beginning to notice that a lot of things you say about your hair, I understand in relation to my own hair. Interesting, considering that you're type 1 and I'm type 4. Is your hair chemically treated?

MissHoney
January 28th, 2014, 02:18 PM
I forgot to say, I try to shampoo only 2x a week, once with sulfate-free shampoo. And I finally skipped the need to cowash after I tried a lemon juice rinse last night -- well, not really, I just sprayed my dry hair with it and left it on. Maybe you could try an acv rinse to prolong the shampooed feeling?

I wasn't even aware that there are protein based shampoos. I did try aphogee shampoo once, it smelled really good and felt almost like conditioner -- probably because my hair loves protein, then.

Aphogee has a keratin leave-in mist that I want to try, maybe you can try that rather than a shampoo? Also redken makes a spray like that too.

muddblood21
January 28th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Do you know of a good protein based shampoo? my hair is starving for more protein in my regimine and i have nooooo idea where to turn to. I used aphogee two step and it looekd great after but now only 2-3 weeks later my hair is lacking protein (they recommend using it every 6 weeks too) so im looking for a good shampoo. If you can recommend any send em my way!

My hair loved the Redken All Soft line. The Heavy Cream deep treatment is awesome! It is in my rotation (if I use too much protein, my hair rebels). It smells nice too!

jeanniet
January 28th, 2014, 03:18 PM
If you need more protein, an easy way is to get Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (they have it at Sally's). I put it in a spray bottle and spray some on before I use leave in, probably once a week or so. My hair really likes protein and this always does the trick.

Madora
January 28th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I have Neutrogena no-residue shampoo. I am not sure if it is 'clarifying', it doesn't say so on the bottle but it does say to remove build up. I find it very gentle on my hair compared to most other sulfate shampoos. I can use it for light shampooing or I can 'rinse and repeat' for squeaky clean (but never dried out!) hair, which I would only do before a deep treatment.

Cdonald2, I am beginning to notice that a lot of things you say about your hair, I understand in relation to my own hair. Interesting, considering that you're type 1 and I'm type 4. Is your hair chemically treated?

Neutrogena Anti Residue shampoo is a clarifying shampoo. It has received several positive reviews here. I use it..once in a great while. It is very good at what it does, but leaves my hair feeling like hay. I use either my GM conditioner (diluted) or a few drops of mineral oil to help restore my usual softness.

ErinLeigh
January 28th, 2014, 03:59 PM
If you need more protein, an easy way is to get Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (they have it at Sally's). I put it in a spray bottle and spray some on before I use leave in, probably once a week or so. My hair really likes protein and this always does the trick.

that's actually a really good way to go. Its only $2.99 a bottle usually too. I keep it for use before coloring.

Marika
January 28th, 2014, 05:07 PM
My favourite protein based shampoos are Redken Extreme and L'anza Protein Plus shampoo. Both are quite expensive but last a long time if you don't use them everyday. They saved my hair when I bleached it four times in two days. Don't ask me why...:p

Firefox7275
January 29th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Is it okay to clarify 2x a week (thats how often i wash my hair) i notice after i clarify my hair always has more life to it... and it looks alot better... however, if its bad for it, id be okay sacrificing that.... anyone clarify super often?

Depends on your hair properties (especially porosity) and condition. Anionic surfactant shampoos are capable of removing structural proteins and structural lipids from the cuticle and the cortex. They also change the electrical charge on hair causing them to repel one another which may present as volume/ body. Some clarifying shampoos are beutral to alkaline pH which can swell the cuticle and do further damage if used regularly.

There are other ways to avoid build up (eg avoid ingredients known to accumulate or flatten hair) and get volume/ body (wash and style upside down, clip roots, hydrolysed protein).

Do be aware that any ingredients which temporarily patch repair the cuticle (silicones, protein, ceramides etc) is a poor substitute for your hairs natural protection (protein rich cuticle, 18-MEA rich water repellant layer, ceramide rich 'glue') because these are chemically bonded in place.

MissHoney
January 29th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Depends on your hair properties (especially porosity) and condition. Anionic surfactant shampoos are capable of removing structural proteins and structural lipids from the cuticle and the cortex. They also change the electrical charge on hair causing them to repel one another which may present as volume/ body. Some clarifying shampoos are beutral to alkaline pH which can swell the cuticle and do further damage if used regularly.

There are other ways to avoid build up (eg avoid ingredients known to accumulate or flatten hair) and get volume/ body (wash and style upside down, clip roots, hydrolysed protein).

Do be aware that any ingredients which temporarily patch repair the cuticle (silicones, protein, ceramides etc) is a poor substitute for your hairs natural protection (protein rich cuticle, 18-MEA rich water repellant layer, ceramide rich 'glue') because these are chemically bonded in place.

Firefox, do you have any recommendations for ceramides? I didn't know protein is temporary, since they always say to use it sparingly

ErinLeigh
January 29th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Firefox, do you have any recommendations for ceramides? I didn't know protein is temporary, since they always say to use it sparingly

I am having a tough time finding ceramide conditioners myself. Well ones that don't have cones.
Loteal has several ceramide shampoo and conditioners but they are too coney for me.
I just use hemp seed oil for my ceramides.