PDA

View Full Version : for those who don't shampoo... (and a question about coconut oil)

cdonald2
January 27th, 2014, 09:30 PM
What do you use to clean your hair. My friend showed me an article where the writer uses watered down baking soda, but im a bit apprehensive of it because ive never really hear anything about it one way or the other.

Also i read in a thread on here that leaving on conditioner for more than 30 minutes can lead to breakage... does the same go for coconut oil?

ravenreed
January 27th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I use conditioner to cleanse my hair. I don't typically leave it on more than 20 minutes but it hasn't ever caused breakage even when I leave it on longer. Baking soda is pretty harsh and while some LHC members have had success with it for cleaning hair, I would approach it very cautiously. I use it very infrequently in shampoo to clarify before I dye my hair. I only put about a teaspoon into a two ounce mix of shampoo and water and typically use about a quarter of the mix. Even so, it gives me wicked scalp flakies.

ositarosita
January 28th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I use conditioner to cleanse my hair. I don't typically leave it on more than 20 minutes but it hasn't ever caused breakage even when I leave it on longer. Baking soda is pretty harsh and while some LHC members have had success with it for cleaning hair, I would approach it very cautiously. I use it very infrequently in shampoo to clarify before I dye my hair. I only put about a teaspoon into a two ounce mix of shampoo and water and typically use about a quarter of the mix. Even so, it gives me wicked scalp flakies.

Ditto .. conditioner removes oil better than shampoo

Weewah
January 28th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Ditto .. conditioner removes oil better than shampoo

Me too, I did a coconut oil soak recently and couldn't get it all out with my clarifying shampoo, finally co-washing did the trick.

To answer your coconut oil question cdonald2, coconut oil won't cause breakage if left on for a long time. I don't know about the conditioner theory though.

ositarosita
January 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Coconut oil aids in protein retention. So your hair doesn't loose protein but it does not add protein to the hair. So no coconut oil will not cause breakage. PS I've had conditioner on my hair for about 3 days straight now, in fact I left conditioner in my hair every day for a year straight.. and guess what.. no breakage. I was using garnier fructis triple nutrition.

melusine963
January 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I use coconut oil as a leave-in detangler/conditioner, so it stays in my hair all week long. It works great for me and actually leads to less breakage, since I'm not yanking out tangles anymore.

ErinLeigh
January 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I have had a heavy leave in conditioner sealed with avocado oil on my hair since Sunday (time to wash ugh)
no issues.
I do overnight coconut oil soaks all the time and they seem to help not hurt.
To remove the oils I use honey and conditioner. It is what works best for me personally. Everyone is different.
I do have one of those all natural shampoos that also removes it really well so sometime I use that instead.

RancheroTheBee
January 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM
You can over-condition (http://blackgirllonghair.com/2011/12/signs-that-youre-over-moisturizing/) your hair (click the link), but most oils aren't moisturizing; as mentioned, they prevent losses in moisture or protein, rather than adding moisture. Here's another article (http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/03/why-i-stopped-deep-conditioning-overnight/) about over-conditioning hair.

To answer your question, I am currently using conditioner only. I have backup shampoo to take care of buildup, but so far, it hasn't happened. I try not to wash more than twice a week, but I occasionally add oil halfway through a cycle to counter-act "clumping" (my ends sort of stick together as they're in need of a trim).

SkyChild
January 28th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I've been using a bicarbonate soda diluted 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water in place of shampoo for 5 months now. I haven't been doing a vinegar rinse.

My hair had been softer and better condition generally but I permanently felt awful and greasy, except for the day after wash day when my hair would be frizzier than it had ever been on shampoo. So I don't think it was for me. I finally cracked yesterday, bought a shampoo bar (which turned out to be not as good for me or the planet as I'd thought) and lathered up. My hair now feels much better.

I've only ever tried oiling in a haphazard childish kind of way by coating my lengths and ends in olive oil from the kitchen. Felt horrible but once I washed it out, it did improve the feeling of my hair. It took an awful lot of scrubbing to wash it out though! I have heard good things about coconut oil and have used it as a hair gloss before - it seemed lovely

bunzfan
January 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I regularly leave oil in my hair for days the best way ever to wash it out is to put loads of conditioner on the oiled hair let it sit for a good twenty minutes or so under a shower cap and, when you're in the shower run some water over the conditioner loaded hair till it feels slimy and massage well I then apply more conditioner wash myself before rinsing it out of my hair.

Wildcat Diva
January 28th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Many wavy and curly haired people use "leave in conditioner", and it's on their hair all the time. Literally. For years. I don't think it would cause breakage.

katiebeans
January 28th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I have been using only water to cleanse my hair for a few months now and it works great. Every once in a while, perhaps once a month or so, I will wash with eggs to freshen things up. Have been meaning to get my hands on some raw honey so I can try washing with that.

I also used baking soda for about a year. Never had the problems that a lot of people seem to experience with that though.

AliceRuth
January 28th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I use conditioner to cleanse my hair, and it works really well for me. My hair goes longer between washes than it could when I was using shampoo and it feels a lot happier about it too.

Sevenof91
January 28th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I use The body shop banana conditioner mixed watered down with a good scrub followed by an AVC rinse (1:10). Makes my hair soft and shiny and so easy to detangle.

woelfchen83
January 28th, 2014, 06:04 PM
You can use soda to wash your hair if you don't take to much and not to hot ;) I used 2 tea spoons with 200 ml of warm water. If it is too warm it's not good for your scalp. That really feels like it burns then shudder: But it cleans very well, it doesn't dry my scalp as much as shampoo does and I just need to wash my hair every 5-6 days (before I had to wash it every second day).

Some use conditioner as a leave-in but you should have a look at the incis before. A lot of alcohol can lead to even drier hair as you have without conditioner, for example.

There are so many ways of washing your hair. Shampoo, soap, herbs, chestnuts, soda, conditioner, Rhassoul powder... Some don't even wash their hair :o

cat11
January 28th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I think the 30 minutes thing is only for deep conditioning your hair, not oil that you put on top of your hair regularly to seal the moisture in. I just was told in another thread that when you are doing oil treatments the 30 min rule also doesn't apply because oils have different absorbtion rates than conditioners typically do.

Firefox7275
January 29th, 2014, 06:41 AM
What do you use to clean your hair. My friend showed me an article where the writer uses watered down baking soda, but im a bit apprehensive of it because ive never really hear anything about it one way or the other.

Also i read in a thread on here that leaving on conditioner for more than 30 minutes can lead to breakage... does the same go for coconut oil?

I use Inecto conditioner to cleanse and my hair is squeaky clean but not stripped. It would be a cold day in hell before alkaline baking soda went near my acidic hair and skin, you cannot restore what is destroyed with a vinegar rinse (acid mantle, skin flora, structural lipids).

Lengthy conditionings can weaken hair because water breaks some of the structural protein bonds and swells the cuticle. This does not necessarily lead to breakage, not all the differen types of protein bonds are broken. This weakness begins prior to half an hour, half an hour was suggested because the vast majority of benefits from intensive conditioning are seen within this time frame. Refer to be Natural Haven blog deep conditioning series - only reading laymans explanations of the science can be Chinese Whispers.

Coconut oil treatments should be on dry hair: this was covered in a thread in the last few days, its well worth getting your head around the advanced search function.

Theobroma
January 29th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I wash with bar soap. Not shampoo bars, but the same soap as I use on the rest of me. I follow up with a dilute vinegar rinse. I've been doing this for over a year and a half now and my hair and scalp have never been better.

(I used to CO wash, but that led to disastrously heavy shedding; I'd probably be bald now if I'd kept it up. My scalp seems to hate coming into contact with anything rich.)