PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use oil treatments on your hair?

FallingDarkness
January 27th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I'm pretty new to all of this, and EXTREMELY new to this site. I've been using coconut oil, occasionally mixing it with olive oil, on my hair once a week, leaving it in overnight (shower caps for the win) and shampooing it out in the morning. But how do you tell how often you should oil your hair? Does it just depend on the person? Are there oils out there that are better than the ones I am using? Yeah, I'm very questioning. Just want to make sure I'm on the right path! :) Thanks.

neko_kawaii
January 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM
You really have to experiment to find out what works best for your hair in terms of which oils and how often. What seems to work best for MY hair is an overnight oiling once a week, but I don't always think that far ahead so it comes out to every couple weeks or even once a month.

ravenheather
January 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I use neelibringhadi oil overnight every other night. It reduces shedding for me. I am going to try to stretch my washes out to every three days though.

jupiterinleo
January 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Totally depends on the person. Different oils work differently on everybody. Some people's hair hates coconut oil; some put it on every night. You just have to figure out what your hair likes best. :)

I'll add because you and I have similar hair types: My hair tends to have oil build-up easily, so I only add at most twice a week--when I get out of the shower, and if I put it in a braid for the day (just to smooth it). I mostly use olive oil, I sometimes use coconut oil.

molljo
January 27th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I do pretty much what you do, only I do it before every wash, which is every five days (though this will probably change in the warmer months). I like to use EVOO for deep oilings, but I will add a touch of coconut oil on the ends if they seem dry. Both olive and coconut oil have been proven to penetrate the hair shaft on dry hair overnight to 24 hours.

Honestly, though, there are TONS of oils out there, some of which are magic to some people, disasters for others. Depending on your individual hair and climate, remember that all your results will be you-specific. If you like the results you're getting, then keep on doing it! Just remember that as the seasons change and as your hair gets longer things might change. It's all just trial and error.

ravenreed
January 27th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I don't oil overly much. I found that it was attracting lint and contributing to tangles, but not benefiting my hair significantly. It also contributed to build up. Once or twice a month I do an oiling and let it sit a bit before cleansing.

Scarlet_Heart
January 27th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I comb a few drops into my hair after every wash, while it's still wet. That's every other day. But I have thick, coarse hair that needs to be oiled fairly regularly.

You really have to experiment with oils because as others have said, different oils work for different people. Also, I find that I like a different oil depending on the season. In the winter when it's cold and dry like this, I use really thick oils like olive and even petroleum jelly! In the summer I use lighter ones like jojoba.

Chiquita Banana
January 27th, 2014, 09:28 PM
After 2 years, I'm still trying to figure out the right amount for my hair! Lol. At this point, I'm oiling the night before a wash and then after washing, I oil it while still wet. My hair is soaking it up so it must be pretty dry. But I think you just have to experiment to find out what's right for your hair, realizing that it might change depending on the season and climate.

Dark40
January 27th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I use oil treatments every other night to minimize the shedding.

ExpectoPatronum
January 28th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I overnight oil every other night with avocado oil before my shampoo. I vary the amount of oil. Sometimes just a light coating, sometimes I saturate my hair. My hair is coarse and avocado oil makes it super soft.

Zebra Fish
January 28th, 2014, 03:55 AM
I put tiny bit of oil (olive or coconut depends) on damp hair after washing. And a tiiiny bit on end braid and tessel when I braid for the night. I found this to work much better than deep oil treatments for me. I tried using them before wash (wash once a week) but my hair ended dull and a bit flaking coz I would CO-wash it out (which my scalp doesnt like), as I find much easier to wash oils with conditioner than shampoo. Now I do seldom deep treatments (except during summer, but thats whole other story :p ).

As others already said, you will need to find your oil/s and regime to use them :) And from my experience, sometimes hair wants to change oil or regime :p

FallingDarkness
January 28th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Well I shed sooooo much all the time. My hair gets pretty dry in the winter (now). So are specific oils made for reducing shedding? Or do most oils already do that? Or does it depend on your hair... :/

longhairdesired
January 28th, 2014, 08:00 PM
I use olive oil once a week for 1-4 hours.

Cheyne
January 28th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I use Argan oil after every shampoo. My hair is a bit coarse and curly, so a few drops on the lower third makes a difference in both moisture and shine. I apply to wet hair every other day.

Firefox7275
January 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Depends on your hair properties (especially porosity), length, weather and lifestyle. I have colour treated hair and tend to do more hydrolysed protein treatments in summer/ higher dews and more oilings in winter/ lower dews. Coconut oilings are once to twice a week depending on convenience, every wash can make my hair feel a bit rough or 'dry', too little and my waves/ curls don't clump as well.

Munnu12
January 30th, 2014, 02:03 AM
I use a herbal oil with a coconut base overnight before every wash (usually every 4/5 days) and follow it up with a tiny bit of olive oil on damp hair ends.

Stiria
January 30th, 2014, 03:11 AM
I do the same as you, exept I wash it out with conditioner. Oil doesn't do that much for me though. I never use it between washes as it leaves my hair stringy and dull, even if I only use a few drops.

Avital88
January 30th, 2014, 04:12 AM
I use oil like twice a week sometimes i Apply it one hr before wash but usually i sleep w it overnight.

meteor
January 30th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Well I shed sooooo much all the time. My hair gets pretty dry in the winter (now). So are specific oils made for reducing shedding? Or do most oils already do that? Or does it depend on your hair... :/
Check out Neelibhringadi Oil for this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344

I have colour treated hair and tend to do more hydrolysed protein treatments in summer/ higher dews and more oilings in winter/ lower dews.
I do the same ^ . I live in climate with humid summer and very dry winter, so I oil more in winter, both pre-poo and light leave-ins.

LanaBanana
January 30th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I do an overnight oil treatment before shampoo day, so once a week for me. Olive oil seems to make my hair the softest, followed by coconut oil. You just have to find what works for your hair and your schedule!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 30th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I do a deep oiling about once a month with coconut oil, sometimes EVOO. Apart from that, I do a light smooth over with 2 drops of mineral oil on my hair after every wash.

fairytalehair
January 30th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I oil with extra virgin unrefined coconut oil, EVOO, and "7 wonders miracle oil" (available at herb stores) about once a month. I soak my hair in it and leave it on, sometimes sitting under the dryer to heat it up. I used to have great results but lately have been having a bit of trouble getting ALL the oil out and have been left with oil strands. Still trying to figure out what changed.

ErinLeigh
January 30th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Daily. I do a prepoo oiling with argan, coconut, avocado or olive about 3 times a week.
Post wash I use hemp and argan mixed with my leave in conditioner in a mister bottle with water. Spray before combing.
Then to finish I use Pureology Precious Oils Serum. This is my alternative to cones.

I know it sounds like a lot but my hair does not look oily or greasy at all. Looks no different than when I used cones daily.

restless
January 31st, 2014, 03:08 AM
About 2 times/ week I soak my hair in coconut oil for a couple of hours (it happens that I leave it on overnight as well, but usually I wash my hair every evening anyway). Its was a little bit of a trial and error with the oiling until I found a routine that works for my hair. I remember in the very beginning when I went overboard and oiled it heavily several times/week. For all that my hair loves it in the right amount, that routine didnt make my hair very happy. It actually got rather crunchy until I cut down on the oil a little.

MissBubble
January 31st, 2014, 03:22 AM
I oil as an overnight treatment before every other wash, that is once a week. At the moment, I mix coconut, sweet almond and castor oils.
Then, after washing, I use a few drops of coconut oil on the ends and a tiny amount on the lengths where there is frizz, to shape some waves. (I use it as a hair gel).
Between washes, I may use once or twice a conventional brand oil, depending on my hair's behavior.

Natalia
January 31st, 2014, 03:23 AM
Im kind of in a new oil routine right now. When I was WO I only needed a little coconut oil (monoi tiare specifically) when my ends started feeling crunchy or dry. Now im going back in more the CO route so I do 2 - 4 drops if jojoba after washing and either jojoba, coconut oil, or olive oil for deep oiling's. The deep oiling's I leave in at least overnight and they generally coincide with my traveling. At home we have a water softer so deal with the high calcium/mineral levels which irritate my skin and make my hair act cranky. But when I travel its typically to family in high cholrine and mineral areas so when I get back my hair needs more TLC than an SMT can provide. I do my deep oiling before shampooing which I try to keep to a minimum.

In between washing and oiling with jojoba I don't need much. if its been more than a week since a wash my ends need about 2 drops jojoba worked into the last 5 - 6 inches. Hope that helps! Everyones hair reacts differently to different oils and techniques. When I was WO I couldn't oil wet I usually just ended up with a waxy spot but now my hair prefers damp oilings over dry. When I still had dyes hair it hated jojoba just turned me into a knotted mess but now that im either henna glossed of natural it agrees with me fine

Johannah
January 31st, 2014, 05:11 AM
I use a heavy oiling every week: coconut or avocado oil. Sometimes mix it with castor oil (cause it's really thick) and use that on my scalp. Jojoba oil only for leave-ins. Olive oil doesn't work. Experiment, I'd say. First I never thought any other oil would work for me except coconut, but avocado oil is just wonderful!

ErinLeigh
January 31st, 2014, 05:52 AM
I use a heavy oiling every week: coconut or avocado oil. Sometimes mix it with castor oil (cause it's really thick) and use that on my scalp. Jojoba oil only for leave-ins. Olive oil doesn't work. Experiment, I'd say. First I never thought any other oil would work for me except coconut, but avocado oil is just wonderful!

Avocado is amazing is isn't it. It covers all the bases for me :)

G1ll
January 31st, 2014, 08:19 AM
I try to do an oil treatment before washing, just so it doesn't dry out my hair completely. My favourite is coconut :)

evalina
February 16th, 2014, 01:41 AM
oiling all hair from scalp to tips once a week with Amla oil, most preferably in combination with sauna since on the box it said best effects when kept warm during the treatment.
after washing my hair with soap I usually add a little bit of oil to the ends with LOC. Using Babassu for that.