PDA

View Full Version : Going water-only, advice for wurly girl? Also, hardcore dyeing.

starfireming
January 27th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Hello! I always thought I had just really weird hair that changed from day to day and did what it wanted to, but at my last haircut my stylist told me I needed a Curly Girl cut, and it was.... curly!! Shock, awe. But, I'm not really clear where I stand on the hair typing- basically, after she was done with me that day, I could have been a 3, but typically I'm in the 2s, either 2b or 2c. My hair is definitely easy to wear straight or curly without heat- typically, I use different products and brush it out wet* to wear it straightish. The curls I do form are quite fragile and lose definition quickly.

* I know, I know, I know. It's definitely not stretching, though, it always has lots of slip and my hair just likes it.

I'm also growing my hair out(weird, I know right?) and that CG cut was in August 2013. I don't do trims since my ends do not split(honestly, I've looked and looked- maybe I've had a split end twice in my life?) and although when I wasn't taking good care of my hair, they could get a little dry/rough-feeling, since I began really following the LHC guidelines(December 2012) my ends are pretty solid.

Anyway, my hair grows pretty fast, so from just above shoulder-length (wet) in 12/12, it's now past BSL (wet). I'm happy with the length but I'm planning on getting some face-framing pieces cut on the 7th. I also am planning to dye blue, pink and teal streaks in it, using exceptional amounts of care to avoid unnecessary damage.

I'm thinking about going WO because I think it would enhance my curl and be simpler care- I know standard issue shampoo is sometimes less about hair care and more about people's expectations, lathering up well rather than protecting the precious. I also think the dye would last longer, which is good- the less I dye it, the better, and I'm pretty content with not mucking about too much. (I know some people love to switch it up!)

The big negative to WO is that my scalp has seborrheic dermatitis or something- NOT washing it makes it sore and itchy. I've been occasionally using T-Sal with 3% salicylic acid, and that's made my scalp happier, without too much crankiness from my hair. (I JUST use it on my scalp, as with all my shampoo.)

I've been WO for a couple of days now, and it's definitely different from what I'm used to! The roots are fairly greasy and the ends feel so, so dry. I used coconut oil in them last night- my hair lurrrrves coconut oil. I'm not using any other products. I have been brushing it like crazy to distribute the oils, and it's working okay- I don't have a bristle brush, since my hair hates them, I just have a paddle brush. Anyway, the length seems happier than usual, and I'm willing to wait out the roots. (Definitely experiencing the ball-of-wax effect. Haha.) I don't know if this will work in the long run, but I thought I might give it a shot.

Anyway, my questions: I'm definitely doing WO until I bleach it- I understand that grease protects the hair, and I was already planning to get my coconut oil on before subjecting my poor hair. But after that, what should I do? I want the dye to take well, so I'm thinking about lightly shampooing it just to dye it. I was also thinking of waiting a day or so between bleaching and dyeing.

I think that my hair is all virgin, although I have bleached and dyed it considerable in the past- the worst was a "shine treatment" which caused the non-virgin hair to go blonde. wtf. However, I'm not 100% sure about the ends.

Should I go WO to the salon? I'd like my hair to be as natural as possible, with its natural curl.

Should I wait until I've had my cut to bleach/dye it?

Is the dermatitis a big no to WO?

Am I crazy?

For reference: As well as the T-Sal, I currently use Pureology and Organix Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner, with, of course, 1,000,000 other conditioners in the offings. My current best results come from oiling my hair, CWCing, and slicking in Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine serum while it's wet. Maybe a little gel for volume. My biggest problems hairwise come from flat roots and FLUFFY AS **** length. Not frizzy, although lately I've been arguing with totally weird fuzzies/frizzies. Just fluffy.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HjrVyK6215M/UuaIhVLamdI/AAAAAAAAAKY/uEWZsn34qFY/w322-h572-no/IMG_20140125_090056197.jpg
Me with standard (unstyled) hair.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MHXAH8PZAAU/UuaIkM0Y-KI/AAAAAAAAAK8/VCDBhD0Y34k/w322-h572-no/IMG_20140125_090100030.jpg
My roots in very gray light.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rNP5iDWPy68/UuaIgBVKbgI/AAAAAAAAAKE/ABaFtRW_GEU/w322-h572-no/IMG_20140126_173805876.jpg
Picture after first WO wash. My left side has been brushed out and my right is left curly for the picture. Dry, dry ends; greasy, greasy roots.

Pop quiz: Also, what color season do you think I might be? I feel like my coloring is so neutral! Hazel eyes, for the record.

Thank you all so much!

lapushka
January 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Is the dermatitis a big no to WO?

I'd say it's not going to make your life easier. I have to wash with a harsh cleanser, at least weekly, or the dermatitis comes popping back. I once went two weeks without shampoo, and for an extended amount of time, and my SD came back with a vengeance but YMMV. You'll just have to wait and see, because I probably can't convince you to do otherwise. :shrug:

rainfortheend
January 27th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Definitely pH balance and chelate your water; hard water could cause buildup. It's very easy: take a gallon of water and add a little bit of citric acid and ascorbic acid.
More information here: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184

Firefox7275
January 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Brushing like crazy is higher risk for breakage on curly hair due to hairs wrapping around the bristles. It's also higher risk for breakage on bleached hair, but lower risk in hair that is conditioned (a product you are not using).

Then add in the seborrhoeic dermatitis: the main irritant is oleic acid found in your own sebum and released by the malassezia yeast neither of which you will be properly cleansing off your skin. Once you are bleaching you will be further damaging your skin barrier leaving it more vulnerable to irritation and inflammation. I hope it works for you but it seems to me a recipe for hair damage, skin irritation and (worst case) hair loss with uncontrolled SD.

Personally I would work on getting the SD under control with proven gentle or natural remedies. For example an anti inflammatory nutrient dense wholefood diet, raw honey and/ or live yoghurt scalp treatments, a shampoo that is pH ~5.5, free of harsh anionic surfactants and based on skin friendly ingredients, dilute tea tree oil. NO oils or butters rich in oleic stearic or palmitic acids which rules out most of the popular ones (coconut is good).

I'm not aware of any scientific evidence sebum protects hair from persulohate bleach, tho no shampooing for a day or two *may* protect the scalp somewhat. Hydrolysed soy and wheat protein reduce damage, coconut oil *may* (anecdotal, the research is on the use of the oil after bleaching).

I use high pigment semi permanents (La Riche Directions) the day after box dying blonde which was cleansed out with conditioner only. It takes really well providing I distribute the colour properly and leave for the right amount of time. The bleach will clarify your hair, shampoo should be unnecessary.

ravenreed
January 27th, 2014, 07:58 PM
I use CO method and dye my hair with great results. I don't know how your SB would react to that method, but given that your scalp seems to be unhappy if you don't cleanse it I would think that would be an indication that WO is not a great plan for you. One question. You said The big negative to WO is that my scalp has seborrheic dermatitis or something- NOT washing it makes it sore and itchy. Does this mean that you haven't consulted a dermatologist? I think that should be your first priority to make certain that you aren't doing your scalp more harm than good.