PDA

View Full Version : In need of a protein treatment?

Arwenlily
January 27th, 2014, 01:54 AM
I thought that my hair was protein sensitive but after what has been going on with my hair, I think I may need a protein treatment but I'm not sure. I hope you ladies/gents can help me out like you always do.

I recently started a thread about how I have been having some trouble with my hair. It has lost its curl, the ends are dry and tangly, the texture feels off, and it is fluffy. I thought I might possibly have build-up of some kind so this what I did this week:

Sunday January 19th: Shampooed hair with sulfate shampoo and conditioned with cone-free conditioner
Tuesday: Shampooed again and conditioned with same products (hair hadn't changed)
Thursday: Clarified with Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo (hair became thicker but besides that nothing changed), rinsed, clarified again, followed with a semi-deep conditioning treatment
Sunday January 26th: Chelated hair with Redken Hair Cleansing Cream (still no change except for worsening condition), followed with proper deep conditioning

During that week I didn't use any oils or other products besides the ones listed. Each time I wash my hair, it seems worse. I'm trying to be patient and stretch washes as much as possible but after 2 1/2 days my hair gets greasy and itchy.

Current status of hair: Hair will stretch a lot when wet and will not break but doesn't bounce back to original state. When dry, the ends are still very tangly and the rest of my hair looks like a matted mess especially the outer layer. The under layer seems to be in a little better shape. I still have no curl to be seen and is shapeless. Also for some reason the hairs at my crown are a little painful if tugged and my scalp is very itchy. My hair is also breaking and shedding a lot.

Am I in need of a protein treatment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arwenlily
January 27th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Before picture:
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/Arwenlily/curlygirlday1_zps2b253598.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Arwenlily/media/curlygirlday1_zps2b253598.jpg.html)

2 weeks ago:
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/Arwenlily/straightness_zps941190a9.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Arwenlily/media/straightness_zps941190a9.jpg.html)

1 week ago:
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/Arwenlily/whatthehell2_zps98000f16.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Arwenlily/media/whatthehell2_zps98000f16.jpg.html)

5 minutes ago:
http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/Arwenlily/WIN_20140127_035911_zpsdbd275bb.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Arwenlily/media/WIN_20140127_035911_zpsdbd275bb.jpg.html)

Weewah
January 27th, 2014, 02:25 AM
When you're not clarifying/using sulfate shampoos how do you usually wash your hair? Maybe you're being too harsh on it right now? Now that you've clarified it enough maybe try to co-wash over the next few days to be more gentle and moisturizing. Does it still feel like there is build up on it?

Arwenlily
January 27th, 2014, 02:34 AM
When you're not clarifying/using sulfate shampoos how do you usually wash your hair? Maybe you're being too harsh on it right now? Now that you've clarified it enough maybe try to co-wash over the next few days to be more gentle and moisturizing. Does it still feel like there is build up on it?

I don't believe there is any more build up. My hair feels full again like before but I thought clarifying a chelating would help to bring my curl back because I thought it was being weighed down by product. However, my hair just keeps getting worse.

Thank you for the advice. Today was my last clarifying/chelating. Maybe a couple days of co-washing would help.

I'm confused about what my hair needs at this point.

Before all of this, I was shampooing with a sulfate free shampoo and conditioning with a conditioner filled with cones. Then I eliminated cones from my hair products and started over. I began co-washing and tried a couple of different conditioners to do so in a short amount of time. I was trying to get the best results but kept feeling unsatisfied.

sarahthegemini
January 27th, 2014, 04:06 AM
You've dried your hair out immensely with all the harsh shampooing - no wonder it's not curling. Try co-washing for your next few washes and see if that makes an improvement. Unfortunately, you're going to have to be patient.

pri108
January 27th, 2014, 04:47 AM
is it possible to wash your hair on every 3rd day instead of every alternate day? and use oil treatment before wash?

ErinLeigh
January 27th, 2014, 05:11 AM
if hair is stretching and not bouncing back I would say yes to a protein treatment. I remember from last thread you didnt think you had issues with the protein/moisture balance but with this new information your hair is stretchy and puffy I think it is going to help a lot.

Google signs hair needs protein and see if it sounds like what you are dealing with. this link may help
http://www.blackhairscience.com/hair-breakage-101-protein-and-moisture/
When the balance is thrown off by too much moisture
Yes! There is such a thing as “over-conditioning” the hair and Trina found that out the hard way. Hair that is shifted too far on the moisture side will be “super-elastic” and stretch more because it lacks a sound protein structure. Many people describe the feel of over-conditioned and over-moisturized hair as “mush-like” or “overly soft,” especially when wet. This kind of hair has a weak, limp, spongy feel to it. Protein deficient hair will tend to pull and stretch along with the comb and then break. It will always stretch first then break because of the low structural protein stores, and overabundance of moisture. Does this describe your hair? Listen up!
To solve this problem, you will need some kind of protein to give the hair structure again. Moisture Induced hair breakage is typically corrected in one protein deep conditioning session. The mildest forms can be corrected by simply moisturizing the hair twice a day with a protein-based water based moisturizer. For mild breakage, Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor works very well. For moderate to heavy breakage, apply a moderate protein conditioner like Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayo to the hair for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse. For serious or long standing forms of moisture induced breakage opt for a heavier protein treatment like Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair.
Even if your hair is stretching without breakage you should use a light protein product to correct this. When your hair stretches, the strand “thins” and becomes weaker across the cross section. It may not break right then at that very point in time, but stretched out of and beyond its shape, it is compromised and will eventually break at some other point. Your hair should be springing back to position. If it’s stretching and stretching without breaking it may be your hair’s way of telling you, “Hey, I need a little structure (protein) here! I’m getting waaaay too elastic, but not yet enough to break– so do something now!” This is where a preventive maintenance protein application would come in. You don’t have to wait for breakage to act. Your hair is telling you now! Start light, and work from there. You may not need a heavy protein treatment just yet.

cranberrymoonz
January 27th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I don't know what is going on here, but I must say: don't try everything at once. Change one thing at a time, see how it goes for at least three weeks, than re-evaluate.

Also, One round of clarifying is usually enough to remove build-up. If it doesn't work, It's probably something else. Maybe try these over the next few months:
- Try the Curly Girl method.
- Protein overload: tangly, crunchy, stiff hair. Remedy: check all products for hydrolyzed protein, keratin, collagen, silk extract and such. Lay off these for a few weeks.
- Overconditioned: strechy, limp hair. Remedy: go easy on conditioning treatments. You don't need a protein treatment per se unless you have damaged hair, try a hydrolyzed protein conditioner first.
- Adding in cones again. Some peoples hair just likes cones.

Try being nice for your hair in the mean time. Wear protective styles, gentle detangling, etc. Don't fuss over it too much. Frustration will make it seem worse. It's just hair.

Good luck!

NativeSparrow
January 27th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I have also been wondering if I am over-moisterised lately. It seems like it is breaking easily but it is not dry at all. It is very, very soft. If it wasnt for the breakage I would be happy with the way it doesnt curl as much. I thought it was just because I have been combing / brushing after showers instead of scrunching to promote curls. But im afraid to try a protien treatment. I have heard people saying that they dont respond well to protien. If I try it & my hair doesnt respond well to the protien how serious is that? what will happen? How long will it take for my hair to return to normal?

Arwenlily
January 27th, 2014, 07:29 PM
You've dried your hair out immensely with all the harsh shampooing - no wonder it's not curling. Try co-washing for your next few washes and see if that makes an improvement. Unfortunately, you're going to have to be patient.

Yeah I know, I definitely washed it too much :( But I had so much buildup I could feel it and I just wanted to get it all out. I'm going to work on moisturizing it now and see how my hair reacts.

Dark40
January 27th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Yeah I know, I definitely washed it too much :( But I had so much buildup I could feel it and I just wanted to get it all out. I'm going to work on moisturizing it now and see how my hair reacts.

I would give the protein treatment a try. I have hair just like yours. On last friday I gave my hair a protein treatment, and it worked my hair wonders! It imrpoved the health, softness, and shine to my hair but soon after I washed it on monday it went back to the same thing in being dry again. I am planning doing another protein treatment this coming weekend. But I would definitely give it a try, and see how your hair reacts.