PDA

View Full Version : Probably the biggest chop in years--A Rant

HintOfMint
January 26th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I had been wishing, hoping, thinking and praying that I wouldn't have to cut off my overlayered ends until I had reached classic. I had a friend take some pics of my hair from the back, and oh man... my ends look TERRIBLE. I'm going to have to cut off about 3 inches! That's just off the length, I'm going to need another inch and a half off the layers as well, but that's just for general crunchiness (yes, I've tried everything, it's damage).

I'm going to be set back to hip length, and I'm trying to find the silver lining and... there just isn't one. I haven't had this big of a cut in years and I'm not happy about it at all. I'm going to be that much further from classic, and I'll be hacking away all of my growth since my last cut in the summer.

Any way to spin this into a positive? Because I'm fresh out of ideas. And yes, I've made up my mind that I need this cut. I really, honestly, do not see the point in walking about with scraggly ends if they make me unhappy.

Lostsoule77
January 26th, 2014, 10:54 PM
I see two silver linings. For one three inches is only about 1/2 a years growth, so you've still gained length. The second is that your ends will be much healthier and that will help you keep more length as you grow. Actually the third will be that you will no longer be unhappy about your scraggly ends. ;) So I while I do understand how much it can hurt, I had 3 inches cut off last January myself, there are plenty of positives too. Hope you can see them. :)

ErinLeigh
January 27th, 2014, 12:34 AM
You may gain more length this year. Maybe the ends would have broken off and started getting worse higher than 3 inches? This may be preventive care. In 6 months you will be right back where you are now but with fresher ends. Maybe if you don't cut you would end up just maintaining anyway as old ends break off? Also clean ends make hair appear longer in my opinion so the visual length effect may remain the same.
Hope that helps. You may you fall in love with the fresh smooth ends :)

ravenreed
January 27th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Silver lining? Your ends will feel much better. I never regret a trim because my hair behaves and feels so much better afterwards.

joflakes
January 27th, 2014, 01:46 AM
Even if in the short term you're frustrated with the lack of length, you'll be happier long term with lovely healthy lengths!

lapushka
January 27th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I'm going to be set back to hip length, and I'm trying to find the silver lining and... there just isn't one. I haven't had this big of a cut in years and I'm not happy about it at all. I'm going to be that much further from classic, and I'll be hacking away all of my growth since my last cut in the summer.

Any way to spin this into a positive? Because I'm fresh out of ideas. And yes, I've made up my mind that I need this cut. I really, honestly, do not see the point in walking about with scraggly ends if they make me unhappy.

You could join the TBL by Christmas 2014 thread! We're nice and have chocolate, cheese & wine!

Firefox7275
January 27th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I have learned SO much about cosmetic science and haircare whilst cutting out old damage. My hair is not much longer but gosh it is healthier (way less porous, better elasticity, less breakage, no Velcro ends).

Maybe try to turn this into a positive by thinking hard about why your ends are so damaged (are you not protecting them enough, not micro trimming or S&Ding enough, using the wrong ingredients or products on this area?) and learn more about the ingredients that can patch repair or reduce damage. LHC tends to overemphasise oiling (natural or silicones) and not really get into hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol.

meteor
January 27th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I had a similar trim a few months ago: also from TBL to Hip - 4 or 5 inches, if I remember correctly. My ends were absolutely fine, but uneven without regular trims, so my hemline improved dramatically after the trim. I just wanted to say that going from TBL to Hip is not that dramatic, IMHO.
The positives are: perfect, even hemline, faster visible growth (better length retention due to less breakage and splitting), hair is more manageable, and you can probably ditch S&D'ing for a few months after the cut.

LHC tends to overemphasise oiling (natural or silicones) and not really get into hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol.
Interesting observation, Firefox.
I noticed that too, and I suspect that it's possibly because you can apply natural oils directly, whereas you can't just dump straight hydrolysed protein or panthenol on hair and let it "soak" - you need to seek them out in commercial products, often hidden in sub-optimal formulations... or make your own conditioners from scratch, which isn't easy.

Kherome
January 27th, 2014, 07:44 AM
LHC tends to overemphasise oiling (natural or silicones) and not really get into hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol.

I'm listening..?

spidermom
January 27th, 2014, 08:19 AM
You're going to love the way your hair looks, I guarantee it.

TiaKitty
January 27th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I had to do the same thing a while back, did it myself with the compact cut method. I went from TBL, nearly classic, to just past waist. I cut about 6 inches or so...

I thought I was going to be very upset, but it looked great, layers I liked, refreshed my ends, and let the curls pop back up quite a bit. It felt great!

Now I have to microtrim or S&D, because my splits are back!

HintOfMint
January 27th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I have learned SO much about cosmetic science and haircare whilst cutting out old damage. My hair is not much longer but gosh it is healthier (way less porous, better elasticity, less breakage, no Velcro ends).

Maybe try to turn this into a positive by thinking hard about why your ends are so damaged (are you not protecting them enough, not micro trimming or S&Ding enough, using the wrong ingredients or products on this area?) and learn more about the ingredients that can patch repair or reduce damage. LHC tends to overemphasise oiling (natural or silicones) and not really get into hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol.

You may have a point there. Although I will say that protein (or at least the formulations I've tried) tend to leave my hair crispier than before. Then again, I haven't tried formulations without protein but with, say, panthenol and others. Worth considering.

I had a similar trim a few months ago: also from TBL to Hip - 4 or 5 inches, if I remember correctly. My ends were absolutely fine, but uneven without regular trims, so my hemline improved dramatically after the trim. I just wanted to say that going from TBL to Hip is not that dramatic, IMHO.
The positives are: perfect, even hemline, faster visible growth (better length retention due to less breakage and splitting), hair is more manageable, and you can probably ditch S&D'ing for a few months after the cut.

Interesting observation, Firefox.
I noticed that too, and I suspect that it's possibly because you can apply natural oils directly, whereas you can't just dump straight hydrolysed protein or panthenol on hair and let it "soak" - you need to seek them out in commercial products, often hidden in sub-optimal formulations... or make your own conditioners from scratch, which isn't easy.

Protein and the like are tricky beasts to work with, I think.

I know tailbone to hip isn't the most dramatic change, but my hair doesn't grow very quickly. Average at best, really, which is why I'm a bit frustrated with losing the length. You are right that I will be happy with my ends after the cut.

LOVE THIS.

Thanks for your support! Y'all are right, a refreshed hairstyle will be so much better than what I'm sporting now and hopefully I'll arrive at classic in style!

HintOfMint
January 27th, 2014, 09:54 AM
You could join the TBL by Christmas 2014 thread! We're nice and have chocolate, cheese & wine!

Might do!:toast:

truepeacenik
January 27th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Women's Hairhouse?
Lol

Ocelan
January 27th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I know how you feel! A month ago I had to have some length cut off my hair. I wasn't happy about it before I did it (which you can read more about in my most recent blog post). I lost about 2 or so inches, but I got a better looking and softer hemline pluss less of those nasty layers that I'm going to get rid of. Also I had already been micro-trimming a lot in the past year so basically this chop got me back to where I was a year before the cut. I was sad but it had to be done. I went from nearly BCL to hip length with this trim. Now I plan to not trim in a while and also not measure in a while. I'll just enjoy and probably in the summer I'll be back to where I was pre chop but with a better hemline.

So I know it feels awful now, but you'll learn to appreciate your cut. :)

Hootenanny
January 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Women's Hairhouse?
Lol

That's the first thing I thought as well! :rollin:

ExpectoPatronum
January 27th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I cut my hair from BSL to APL back at the very end of September to get rid of damage and horrible layers. I'm already nearly back to where I've started. Trust me...The way your hair will look and feel will really make up for the lost length, especially if you value healthy hair over length, which I do. Aside from S&Ding, I haven't trimmed my hair since then whereas before I was having to trim every couple of weeks (yikes) just to keep my ends from being horribly split. I think in the long run, getting rid of damage (especially if it's only a few inches) is extremely worth it in the long run. Yeah, it sets you back, but you won't be hating the way your hair looks and feels and that's extremely important in my book.

You could always compromise and cut off maybe an inch or two to see if that helps.

Jenny31557
January 27th, 2014, 12:07 PM
I also have to cut off about 3 inches, but instead of doing it all in one go, I'm going to micro-trim 1/4 inch every month this year. So by the end of the year I will have a better hemline and I will be three inches longer than I am now. Hope this helps :)

AmyBeth
January 27th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Not very many are happy with losing that much length, when their goal is to grow their hair out. But since I've been here, I have only heard people being very happy once they get the big chop over with! One of my deep, dark, dirty little secrets is that I truly value length over health. I would rather have long damaged hair than short healthy hair. That's almost sacrilege around here. If I were truly unhappy with my ends, I just wouldn't have the nerve to do a big chop. I'd protect and condition the damage like a mad woman, and microtrim and maintain. Gotta hand it to those of you who bite the bullet and do the big chop. My gut tells me that that is probably more productive to the cause than trying to maintain the damaged ends. Good luck, HintOfMint!

YamaMaya
January 27th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Soft fresh ends are just about the only good side of big chops, just keep telling yourself that hair grows :grouphug:.

RapunzelKat
January 27th, 2014, 01:55 PM

Well put! :D

You're definitely doing the right thing for your hair. Sure, it will set you back a little but in the long run you'll be happier with the results! Big trims are frustrating and a bit disheartening :flower: but I've always been happier with my hair after. Plus, since you'll be getting less damage from tangles, etc, you may gain length a bit faster.

ErinLeigh
January 27th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Not very many are happy with losing that much length, when their goal is to grow their hair out. But since I've been here, I have only heard people being very happy once they get the big chop over with! One of my deep, dark, dirty little secrets is that I truly value length over health. I would rather have long damaged hair than short healthy hair. That's almost sacrilege around here. If I were truly unhappy with my ends, I just wouldn't have the nerve to do a big chop. I'd protect and condition the damage like a mad woman, and microtrim and maintain. Gotta hand it to those of you who bite the bullet and do the big chop. My gut tells me that that is probably more productive to the cause than trying to maintain the damaged ends. Good luck, HintOfMint!

Your post made me smile. Honesty is refreshing. There is nothing wrong with a preference and damage can be hidden to certain degrees.
I often wonder what my hair would look like today if I had patience to microtim off damage instead of doing a yearly big chop.
My method obviously does NOT work for growth so if growth is the goal maybe your way IS more productive :)