PDA

View Full Version : Normal to shed more hair when washing with a clarifying shampoo?

Hairheart
January 26th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I didn't really knew anything about build up or using a clarifying shampoo, especially if only using sulfate free shampoos. Until I started to read about it here, and paying attention.

I realized I probably have build up on my scalp and hair, so yesterday I bought a (very expensive) shampoo from Fekkai that states it will remove build up. I also bought a divine smelling (vanilla) conditioner from the same brand. Just because of the smell, I might add.

So today I used the shampoo, which smelled great too; Apple Cider. When I rinsed, everything was fine. But after I massaged in the conditioner and let it sit for a few minutes and then rinsed for two minutes, there was more hair in the drain than usual.

I did massage the conditioner into the scalp as well, something I usually never do since my scalp is so easily irritated. I get a lot of break outs and such.

So, I'm wondering if clarifying shampoos usually make you shed more hair than normal? Since it is kind of harsh compared to sulfate free natural shampoos.

I'm planning to use the clarifying shampoo twice a month. My hair now does feel great. Fluffy and supersoft. And smells sooo good.

Katrine
January 26th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Did the directions suggest you apply the conditioner to your scalp? Even for CO, it's not always recommended to apply conditioner to your scalp. Just from the ears down. If you do have scalp issues, it's probably a good idea to apply conditioner to your length only.

I don't use a clarifying shampoo per se but when I use a shampoo that is clarifying for me I do shed a little more than usual.

Hairheart
January 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Katrine; thank you for replying!

I usually never put conditioner on my scalp due to my issues. Only in the lengths. But today I thought I should do it if this clarifying shampoo might be harsh and drying.

Next time I use it I won't condition my scalp again, but just go on as usual.
But, I do have to say though, my hair feels lovely now! I have been using only sulfate free products for so long now that I'm bound to have tons of build ups. I'm gonna have to wait and see how my hair is tomorrow. My understanding is that it will get greasier, faster when using a stripping shampoo.

spidermom
January 26th, 2014, 10:11 PM
A good conditioner can make it appear that you shed more hairs, but I think this is because the shed hairs slide free from still-growing hairs more easily.

Hairheart
January 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Spidermom; Yes, that makes sense.

Still, I will keep it away from the scalp. It reeeally hurts to see my hair collect in the drain, yikes! Especially since I went through a massive shed last year. And, my scalp is rediciolusly finicky. I stopped putting conditioners anywhere near it for several months ago because whenever I did, just like today, my shed was way larger.
Even throughout the day after washing, when hair was all dry again. It's almost like the conditioner loosens up my hair follicles so they just slip out, if that makes sense.

I'm just so happy my hair shedding now has stopped and I'm having massive regrowth. But every time now if I see a little more hair in the drain I just freak out.
I'm so happy I found this forum and can take part of all the knowledge here from you all. I have learned so much, like this clarifying thing and why it's so important.
Thank you for answering!