PDA

View Full Version : anyone use protein on dry and tangly ends?

durgidog
January 26th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Until two days ago I'd never done an intense protein treatment in my life, my hair does like proteiny condish like Mane N' Tail. For the past month I've been struggling with really dry and coarse ends that tangle a little. My hair normally never tangles and I don't get splits or breakage, other than the ends my hair has been in great shape. (I do use henna, a lot of it).

I tried SMT's, oiling, clarifying, and chelating and nothing worked. Most of what I've read indicates that hair should have the symptoms of too much moisture - stretchy, gummy, soft, limp, etc. to require a protein treatment.

So I did the 2-step Aphogee treatment followed by an SMT and OH MY! The rough tangly ends are GONE, all of my hair feels and looks fantastic.

Does anyone else find they need protein when their hair feels dry?

newmooncrafts
January 26th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Yes! I just found out that henna deposits a lot of protein as it colors and my ends were always the worst just before I needed to re-henna. So the protein in henna made my ends nice and supple again.

I did find that my hair needs it when it gets gummy too. I just finished my second round with Color Oops! to try to get out the henna after 3+ years of application and found it made my ends gummy. I used "It's a 10" keratin spray after each application and it made my ends really crunchy until my next wash, when they were supple again. So it seems that for me, when in doubt, protein!!

*I will also be posting my adventures with Color Oops! and henna in the henna removal thread soon.
Cheers, NewMoon

emilia1992
January 27th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Yes, me too- but my hair actually likes Mane 'n' Tail! And I sometimes use gelatin as well- it makes my ends nice and smooth.

chen bao jun
January 27th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Yes, I have used protein on my ends. But be careful to balance moisture and protein. You can't protein every wash or every wash, I would say, its unusual to need it more than once a month unless you are doing something like chemical straightening.
Over proteining is as bad as no protein (though clarifying fixes it).