PDA

View Full Version : Egg yolk for protein or moisture?

longhairdesired
January 26th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I know the egg white is for protein. What about the yolk/yellow? It's supposed to be fatty so I thought it might be moisturizing? I do not need any protein in my hair and get breakage if I use it. I'd like to know before I try it out. I've done research but I've seen both answers.

ExpectoPatronum
January 26th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I believe the protein in egg is too big to actually penetrate and do anything to the hair. I think you would be better off using some other treatment for moisturizing. My hair is really liking avocado oil at the moment, but you could try doing an SMT too. I know a lot of members swear by SMT treatments.

cdonald2
January 26th, 2014, 02:58 PM
the molecular weight wont penatrate the hair shaft. I used aphogee 2 step and it worked well for me. However, its stinky, runny and time consuming. but gives incredible results

AlleyKitten
January 26th, 2014, 03:44 PM
My hair likes egg yolk in deep treatments. I've mixed it with avocado and coconut milk to great effect.

alexis917
January 26th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I tried egg yolk once and my hair was beyond crunchy/tangled! I think I had a protein overload.

Firefox7275
January 26th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Neither protein nor moisture: yolk is a lipid or emulsifying treatment, being a source of oleic acid, saturates, cholesterol, lecithin. The proteins in egg (white or yolk) are far too large to be of use to hair and the yolk does not contain much in the way of humectants (add or increase water = moisture).

BTW hydrolysed protein (small enough to be useful in haircare) is a humectant so is moisturising. Protein and moisture are not opposite attributes contrary to popular belief.

Anje
January 26th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Egg yolk is largely fat, so it'll be more analogous to oiling your hair. Definitively has potential for a treatment, but it also has a reputation for being a mess if you rinse with warm water.