PDA

View Full Version : Hair conditioning myths – the Beauty Brains Show Episode 08

durgidog
January 26th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but the notes from the show are intriguing:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/12/10/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-08-hair-conditioning-myths/

ErinLeigh
January 26th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for sharing. I love when links for reading are posted :)

pixldust
January 26th, 2014, 11:06 AM
What a great link! I've read several of the other articles, it's nice to see a scientific approach to the beauty industry. Thanks very much for posting it :)

jacqueline101
January 26th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'm glad you posted it. I loved reading the article.

Ice princess
January 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM
This is very good. No need to sit for hours with a conditioner covered head of hair. Just what i wanted to hear. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Sofialu
January 26th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I'm glad I found this post, I've never used anything other than shampoo and wash in/out conditioner, having read so many comments about oiling and deep conditioning I wondered if I had been neglecting my hair and was going to see what a deep condition entailed. However reading this article it seems that less really is more so unless my hair health changes I think I'll stick with doing the basics :)

sarahthegemini
January 26th, 2014, 11:55 AM
"Proteins aren't as effective as polyquats or silicones..." Hmmm. The rest was good though.

durgidog
January 26th, 2014, 03:26 PM
"Proteins aren't as effective as polyquats or silicones..." Hmmm. The rest was good though.

Yeah I was wondering about that as well, but I still haven't listened to the podcast. I finally did a deep protein treatment for the first time recently (Aphogee 2-step). I had dry, crunchy, tangly ends and had moisturized, clarified, and chelated and nothing was working. The protein pack solved it and my hair feels great.

ravenreed
January 26th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Actually, I would disagree with the idea that leaving conditioner on longer isn't beneficial. I find my hair has a lot more slip if I leave my conditioner on for 10 - 15 minutes versus rinsing it off right away.

Firefox7275
January 26th, 2014, 08:45 PM
There is a good series of articles on deep conditioning (covering penetrating ingredients, time and temperature) on the Natural Haven blog. I've noted errors in the Beauty Brains articles before, I prefer other evidence-based blogs.

If you are looking for emollience (softness, slip, shine) hydrolysed protein is arguably inferior to silicones and polyquats. If you want strength for fine hair, patch repairing before or after dying or for aged ends, curl boosting, volume/ body and so on you may find hydrolysed protein superior.

I think the suggestion to use coconut oil within a conditioner base bizarre: the published research is straight up on DRY hair which makes sense for penetration since oil and water do not mix. It's also overnight to twenty four hours which is an awful lot longer that their suggested conditioning times.

To be fair to Beauty Brains their average reader probably has short to medium hair that they wear straight, using a fairly traditional shampoo, condition, heat style, brush frequently routine.

ErinLeigh
January 26th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Actually, I would disagree with the idea that leaving conditioner on longer isn't beneficial. I find my hair has a lot more slip if I leave my conditioner on for 10 - 15 minutes versus rinsing it off right away.

Everything I read say 20 or 30 minutes is the sweet spot. I have to look to find out which number was accutae but there was some graph that showed penetration was at peak at 20 or 30 min. After that it became no better but for sure it was better every minute up to that 30min mark. I personally think the "rinse out quick" thing maybe works ok for cone heavy conditioners or something. I notice big effect leaving on 10-15min versus only 1 minute for sure so I completely agree with you.