PDA

View Full Version : How to wash hair properly

nayver
September 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I know that is probably a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there is a method of washing hair without damaging. The thing is there is a part of my hair which is always dry (back, where the sun hits) and I think is because of the lather. Thanks!

RavennaNight
September 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I found scalp only washing to be effective, and my hair doesn't dry out from it. Even better if you coat the length with conditioner before washing the scalp. Focus more conditioner on the back where its dry. This way when you rinse there is a barrier between the suds and your length. And don't pile it all on top of your head. This really works with preventing tangles.

chrissy-b
September 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Using the CWC method has really helped soften and moisturize my hair. Using cool or lukewarm water (this one is very hard for me) instead of hot and oiling with olive oil before washing has helped me also.

Like RavennaNight said, try not to pile your hair on top of your head as this creates tangles, and only wash your scalp instead of the length.

Hope this helps!

nayver
September 11th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Thank you guys for the answers! Googling, I found this article about CWC: http://www.whylonghair.com/long-hair-care/the-cwc-method-of-washing-long-hair/

I'll try it today :D

Melisande
September 11th, 2008, 01:28 AM
CWC. Dilute shampoo (mild detergent of course). Stretch between washes. Oil before and afterwards. Don't rub. Just massage the scalp gently, don't handle the lengths at all while they are wet and vulnerable. Rinse with something sour (I use citric acid).

No rubbing with the towel. Handle gently. Air dry. Apply some oil to ends, or sheabutter balsam.

I found this approach minimizes damage.

Cinnamon.locks
September 11th, 2008, 01:34 AM
the way i wash is basically spread the poo on my ahnds and then spread it around my scalp, softly rubbing the scalp never pilling hair on top of my hair and rinsing straight back, barely spreading the hair as i rinse to make sure all the poo is gone before applying condish on ends, then smoothing the back with alot of condish and spread it down to the ends before smoothing some condish on the entire head, leave it on for about 5 minutes before rinsing, i rinse the same way, titl head back and allow the water to rinse the condish without much handling.

HTH.