PDA

View Full Version : I had to cut back to shoulder/neck...

grimsqueaker
January 25th, 2014, 09:18 PM
So, the last 2-4 inches of my hair were really crispy and felt like straw, despite the fact that I've been oiling them daily and deep conditioning weekly for about 5 months now. Well, they frustrated me immensely, and I just got my first real pair of hair shears, like, a few hours ago.

So I decided to test them on a little bit of the underside of my longer layers, just out of curiosity. Well, that "little bit" grew, and grew, until it encompassed my whole head. Now it's too short to do anything other than a stubby ponytail, not even that thing where you start to make a ponytail, but don't pull it all the way through on the last step. (I'm sure that there's a name for it...)
BUT my ends are so soft, I just can't stop feeling them. Sure, my hair is significantly shorter than before, (It was an inch away from APL) but at least I don't cringe whenever I touch my ends anymore.

And there are no words for how happy that makes me. Whilst I'm still hoping for solid APL by my 16th in the middle of April, but if that doesn't happen, well, it will be the price I pay for soft ends. And at this point, that's just fine with me. :D

woodswanderer
January 25th, 2014, 09:49 PM
:blossom:Glad you are happy with how it turned out.

Micayla47
January 25th, 2014, 11:48 PM
aahh yes the eternal struggle: length or good ends :confused:

hairpleasegrow
January 26th, 2014, 12:32 AM
I feel for you i just did a huge chop in December my hair was just like how you described yours (like straw) and brittle and crackily....even though it is hard to cut back the length but better to start afresh for 2014 !! just take care of your freshly cut ends (i've read cat nip rinses are very good for preventing split ends...i havent tried it yet but i have been meaning to)

Wosie
January 26th, 2014, 01:32 AM
My ends are also noticeably drier than my length, but clarifying does wonders. Over-oiling can make your hair crunchy and straw-like, so I refrain from doing so even though I love to fiddle around with my hair (oiling being the main thing I like to do). :o
I have decided to only cut my ends every 3-4 months or so (half an inch at most) just to maintain the condition--I barely see any split ends on my hair so I don't think it's necessary to cut too much. If the ends are split, then yes, it's time to cut. Did you have many split ends? Did you clarify your hair before you cut it, to see if build up was the culprit?

joflakes
January 26th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Well I'm glad it feels better now! Happy healthy growth will be yours!

Scarlet_Heart
January 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I'm glad you're happy with it. Despite wanting to grow long, sometimes it's so freeing to cut those scragglies off. Oil those ends after every wash so as your hair grows, that's less likely to happen again.

I see you just joined a few months ago. Welcome to LHC! :toast:

Sofialu
January 26th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I feel fortunate in that I've been bleaching my hair for 16 years and have never used anything other than shampoo and normal conditioner and my hair has no strawy ends etc so have never had to cut my hair for that reason. I don't know what deep conditioning is or what a hair mask is or if they are the same thing. Reading some posts I felt almost neglectful of my hair but now I'm thinking that perhaps less is more and the fact I've never put any products (other than the bleach) on my hair has helped keep it healthier?

Stormcast
January 26th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I had the same feeling after I bleached my hair white...DF would say 'Your hair is stabbing me' while we were sitting on the couch together. I decided to chop the damage! I wish I had longish hair (so I could at least put it up right) but I am soooo glad to be rid of the crispy.
Question: Did you go for a blunt cut or not?

turtlelover
January 26th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I would have HAD to chop the ends, too. I always prefer health over length. Glad it turned out well! :D

Wosie
January 26th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I have barely ever had soft ends, even when having short hair... One of the downsides of being a coarsie. D;

Scarlet_Heart
January 27th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I have barely ever had soft ends, even when having short hair... One of the downsides of being a coarsie. D;

Yep! Haha, last night I thouht to myself that I hadn't clarified in a while and that if I did it, it would somehow magically make my coarse hair really soft. I had it in my head that I must have some kind of build up. So I clarified with a really diluted baking soda mix. And now my hair is just coarse AND dry. But I got a lot of volume from it. :shrug: