PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy waves -__- Do they have to be crunchy, or am I using the wrong product?

SouthernSweetie
January 25th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Okay, so just recently I(along with a couple others on this forum) realized that my hair is naturally more wavy than I thought. So, I've been really trying to bring out the wave in my hair by using curl cream by itself, a mixture of gel-curl cream-leave-in-and aloa vera gel, and I've even tried just scrunching with just aloe vera gel. I'm not used to using products like these on my hair, and it makes my hair all gunky feeling, tangly, and just too heavy. I don't want to force the wavy texture into my hair by braiding or twisting, but how can I bring out the natural wave and not feel like my hair is weighed down and coated in gel? I don't use a whole lot, but no matter what I do it feels like my hair is dirty and matted. Can anyone recommend any products that don't feel like this? I like to be able to run my fingers through my hair, and all this scrunching with gel just makes it impossible...
Maybe I'm just not used to it yet? :shrug:
Any advice on my rambling would be appreciated!

Yozhik
January 25th, 2014, 06:26 PM
In my experience, you can't really run your fingers through curly hair. :shrug:
Although it may depend on the level of curl, because for me as a 2b/c, it's certainly not possible unless I want to brush out my wurls (and get poofy hair).

When I want to emphasize my wurls, I use just a tiny bit of pure aloe vera gel, coat my palms and fingers with it, and gently slide my hands along my hair flipped upside down (concentrating on the ends). I also dry with a microfiber towel for about 15-30 minutes, which takes up a lot of moisture without having my hair hang straight down - this usually also helps preserve curls. I think this method is called plopping - or maybe that's when you just gather a handful of hair and scrunch it near your head for a few seconds?

You can also try a *teeny* amount of oil (maybe something lighter if your hair usually feels weighed down?).

Make sure it dries completely before messing with your hair, and that should also help preserve your curl pattern.

If you're not totally opposed to heat, I know a couple of my curly friends use diffusers on their hairdryers, and this also helps preserve curl while minimizing frizz.

HTH! :flower:

SouthernSweetie
January 25th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Well, I'm only a 1c so it's just a little bit of wave. It doesn't need to be perfect, I just want to find a way to style my hair so that it's even(or somewhere close) all over. I got tired of air-drying my hair and it flipping every which way and looking not-so-put-together. My hair is almost APL, and I just can't get the hang of what it wants to do! Haha. Or what I can do to make it look the way I would like it to. I'll try using less product, and a diffuser(just got one the other day and haven't actually used it) on either low heat or cool! And maybe a little bit of oil, and see what that gets me. Thanks for the input! :flowers:

jeanniet
January 25th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I think curl cream would be too much for your hair; generally it works better for 3-4 hair types. Gel would probably work fine, but you may be using too much. For your hair, I'd try 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Try putting a small dab in your palms, add a bit of water, and rub your palms together before scrunching your hair. If you get some crunch, just scrunch it out once the gel is dry. And if you use leave in, use an equally small amount.

SouthernSweetie
January 25th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Well that's good to know. I just kinda started buying stuff at sally's :) Thanks for the help!

Wildcat Diva
January 25th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Flax seed gel works great. I learned to make mine from you tube. "Best flaxseed gel" should get you started. If I don't use too much, its not crunchy when it's dry for me.

lapispimpernel
January 25th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Aloe never quite looked or worked right for my hair, either. :shrug: I'm having good luck with 10 min in a turbie twist and a couple pumps of Dove's Oxygen Moisture (advanced hair series, for fine, flat hair). I think both of those were about $5 each at Walmart. There's very very minor crunchiness when the foam dries undisturbed but a quick hand-scrunch removes it. Haven't noticed any drying effects- it actually seems a bit moisturizing- and the extra texture helps with stretching washes, if that's one of your goals.

I've given up hoping that anything will make running my fingers through my hair easy. Looking awesome (or presentable, really...) is the most I hope for. :D

Firefox7275
January 25th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Running your fingers through weak waves will do one or both of two things: pull the hair straight and/ or cause frizz. You might try conditioner only styling or flaxseed curl cream. TBH you sound more like 2a than 1c. Check out Chupie's channel on YouTube and feel free to join us on the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook.

SouthernSweetie
January 25th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Flax seed gel will definitely be my next adventure! Oh, and I'll make sure I try that Dove stuff too! :) Dove products seem to really like my hair, so I bet I'll like that! :) I actually just joined the Wavy Hair Community today! Thanks for the invite though. Conditioner only styling is a thought..hmmm. So many things to try! Thanks everyone!
Does anyone else actually recommend a diffuser? I've never used one, and I looked it up on Youtube, and it seems to be pretty self-explanatory. But, as always, when it comes to hair, everything is hard for me to master. :-( Ughh. I'm so frustrated with my texture AND my length.. I just wish I could wake up tomorrow and it be long and beautifully wavy!
Well... I can dream can't I? :D