PDA

View Full Version : Pulled back looks greasy

freznow
September 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
My hair looks perfectly fine down today. Back with a part, it looks okay too. But pulled straight back, my dad commented that it looks very very greasy.

Maybe the hair under the canopy is greasier than that on top of it? Or maybe my hair just looks like that pulled back? Anybody else have this problem?

Gumball
September 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM
For me personally I do know that the top layer of my hair tends to not get nearly as sebum coated as the rest of it. It's very evident if I really section my hair and take a look. At the same time it's a little frustrating, too, because that top layer doesn't necessarily benefit as much so the condition of it is different.

Tai Shan Fan
September 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I have the same problem...and I have the same hairtype as you. Perhaps even if everyone's under layer is oiler than the upper layer, on the straight-and-fines it will show up more?

Even a tiny amount of oil shows up as megga-greasy on my hair and is why I can never use leave-ins.

TheSpottedCow
September 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
My under layer is usually way grasier. Like today. I've been wearing it up, and it looks oily, but down it didn't look so bad (but felt weird because I can feel the underneath part being dirty)... I have that problem a lot, but today it's worse because I did a hennindigo gloss and I'm trying to stretch as long as I can before I wash to let it fully oxidize.

Also (this is one of the reasons I glossed) my roots are much darker than the length. Even though it's not damaged, or exposed to sun, it really lightens up. So the dark roots always make the top look dirty, especially when it's tied up and the ponytail is coppery brown and puffy and the roots are dark brown and slick.

It's just not a good look...

PseudoScot
September 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I have that too. I get 'around it' by doing a scalp and/or temple wash, or opt for a braid and not a bun which doesn't expose the greasies as much. Or, I wear a scarf like thingy to hide that area. I believe I am also a similar hairtype.

Mine is because I sleep on my sides often, and even though I use satin pillowcases I get more friction on the side of my face and not the top of my head.

Unnamed
September 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't think it's the hair under the canopy, but the hair around ones hair line.

If your hair was already down for a bit, and, say, your face is oily...that oil would transfer to the hairs that are closest to the hairline, and then when you pulled that hair back since those hairs are oily...it would look oilier as that's pretty much all that's visible.

Also, I find that if I don't cover my hair at night, my face gets some of my scalp oil (and I break out more), and I'm sure this could go both ways and it'd likely be that hairline hair that gets any oil, especially if hair is back in any way at night (and if not, it might be resting on your face/skin).

FWIW I don't have this issue. Sorry to break the 1a/F pattern. But my scalp produces copious amounts of oil regardless of how often I wash it, or where on my head that hair grows. Either my hair is clean and I could wear it down or in a braid (first 12-18 hours or so), or it's greasy throughout and...well, up and slicked back is the only option.

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I wonder if the oils would be distributed more evenly if you frequently changed where your hair is parted.

sahiba
September 11th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Is it possible that if one does not oil at all under your circumstance or oil just the length the problem would not be there.

Duchess of Erat
September 11th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Same here.

My hair parts in the middle if it gets half a chance, so my sleepbraid makes it part in the middle. As long as my hair is in that part, it looks ok even when greasy, but if I pull it straight back, it will string together and just look *blech*.

vampodrama
September 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM
same for me. our hair types seem to be similar so that's probably the case. my roots get greasy rather fast and pulling my hair back or putting it up magnifies it greatly cos it shows way more.

Finoriel
September 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Do you pull all the hair straight back from the hairline? I mean without any part. When I do that my hair looks ridiculous sleek and shiny and it could be mistaken for being greasy or glued back with products, while it honestly isn't.
That's one of the reasons I prefer to wear my updos with a part. It gives more outlines and prevents the übershinygreasy-look.
Using a BBB for smoothing the updo can also create this effect on straight hair.

intothemist1999
September 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM
My hair sometimes does that, too.

What seems to help it look better is if I hold it pulled back, then use a regular-spaced comb to smooth it out.

redtea
September 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
This happens to me too. If I don't feel like washing my hair that day, sometimes I'll just wash around my hairline while I'm in the shower and everything looks good for another day.

Gecko
September 11th, 2008, 10:19 AM
My hair usually gets greasy first where my part is... and just the crown area after that. If I pull my hair back it helps to hide it. Although if it is greasy, it just looks worse because it goes flat and smooth in a bad way.

kittymomma
September 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Ah, hair twin. :) Mine does the same thing...it's dull enough when I don't color it that it usually looks greasy even right after I wash it...what I typically do is kinda "poosh" the top of it toward my face a bit after I put it up. It kinda fakes a bit of volume and poofs the greasy look away somewhat.

Katze
September 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
definitely! And similar hair type, too. ;)

If I wear my hair up it looks greasy, period. After being here for a while I have gotten used to my hair being less 'fluffy', that is, in better condition (and not poofy from being bleached). But I still don't like how it looks up. Flat to my head, darker, but still messy.

heidihug
September 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yep, that's me, too, though I never part my hair; it looks bad with a part - and my scalp is so very white! My second-day hair, even if I have not fingercombed or brushed since before I washed it, looks greasy next to my scalp, because, well, it is. I have incredibly oily skin for a 44-yr old (similar to my son's 16-yr old's skin), so it's just something I've learned to deal with. I can very occasionally stretch out my wash to every three days in the dry, frigid depths of winter, but otherwise it is every other day.

I always do oil, though never near my scalp - just below the ears, or a bit further up if it is very dry weather.

LadyLongLocks
September 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
In a pinch I use a small amount of baby powder in my palms and flip my head over and rub it in around the front scalp area. It works well with blonde hair and makes it look less shiny and adds volume. You can also use a compact and a brush if you dont have baby powder. I did this on a trip where I couldn't wash my hair. It actually worked!

Ohio Sky
September 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I have weird hair. I think it could be best described as tiny little cowlicks all over the place (and especially on the right half of my head, which makes for an interesting look.) Even immediately after washing, if I pull my hair back, I get the piece-y look because of these. I haven't found a solution yet, but it is really frustrating. I can't ever have smooth updos.

NeilTheFuzz
September 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
It's pretty commonplace that peoples underneath layer of hair is greasier than the upper layer. Mine is the same, and If I attempted the same full swept back style as you I'd probably have the same problem. Other than washing your hair more, there's not really a solution. I just tie mine back with the centre parting.

Neil

intothemist1999
September 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Eeeks, I went to take some pics to post in my album and when I looked at the viewscreen my hair looked so greasy...and was pulled back! !:shocked:

I'm not sure why that is, since I washed it the other day.

I'm thinking it MIGHT be that for a spell I was using shampoo (sometimes diluted) alot more than I usually do - I'm usually CO. Maybe my scalp needs to adjust again.

ladyshannonanne
September 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I CO wash half of the time, but I always shampoo just the very front of my hairline (like what would be bangs, if I had them.) It helps tremendously with just this issue.

Katze
September 27th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Another thing - I just tried putting my hair into a halfup to keep my bangs out of my face and show off the waves underneath, and it made my scalp cleavage SO much worse that I could not get anything to work and just took my hair down again.

Scalp cleavage - where your hair parts where you don't want it to, showing scalp - IMO makes hair look greasy, too, even if it is clean (as mine is at the moment). Again, I think this is a fine hair thing.

kwaniesiam
September 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have horrible scalp cleavage. It's a combination of having fine and thin hair. Mine looks greasy and especially thin if I pull it straight back, so I usually try to wear a headband or something to cover the front. What helps is not using conditioner on the roots, but I've never tried a WO routine so not much help there.