PDA

View Full Version : hair "too healthy"

cdonald2
January 25th, 2014, 03:36 PM
My hair is to the point where normal styling products do nothing to it. It wont hold a curl, and even hairspray wont work on it... yet it is super shiny and feels like silk.... Whats going on here? is this a good thing or am i overconditioned?

woelfchen83
January 25th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Whats your routine looking like? Could it be a build up?

cdonald2
January 25th, 2014, 04:15 PM
i do use alot of cones and sulfates but i know i shampooed yesterday with bumble and bumble.... so i dont know if i should wash my hair with something stronger... ive heard that anything with sulfates usually gets rid of buildup.... should i be clarifying more? or adding in more protein? i condition alot. i use nubian heritage grow and strengthen treatment masque and i also use proclaim moroccan argan oil hydrating masque from sallys and coconut oil from time to time. ( i saturate it for a day or at least an hour before i wash)

woelfchen83
January 25th, 2014, 04:20 PM
It took me months to get rid of all th cones I used to put in my hair for all that years! And I remember, that I did not even have to brush out teased hair. It was just "gone" when I woke up the other morning. To get curly hair I had to put in tonnes of hairspray and setting lotion. The curlers had to stay in there over night and needed to be heated up time and time again....

Sarahlabyrinth
January 25th, 2014, 05:05 PM
I am just wondering if your hair is super shiny and feels like silk why you want to put anything else on it, as it sounds perfect to me already :) ?

stachelbeere
January 25th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I think this is just your hair type. My best friend is not reaaally friendly with her hair and does a lot of mechanical damage to it (ripping a brush through eeek!). Despite that her hair is incredibly silky, slippery and even simple braiding is a challenge as it won't hold no matter how tightly I try to braid. There is nothing you can do about it. Her hair looks amazing though - it always looks as if it was straightened and is a beautiful golden colour :) you just have to embrace it - your hair is unique :)

hypersensitive
January 26th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Just embrace it! There are people who would kill to have your hair!

hairpleasegrow
January 26th, 2014, 12:49 AM
If that were me I would probably stop my current product and try something new. try to eliminate whatever ingredient you think it may be. i think you mentioned sulphates earlier. try a shampoo/conditioner with sulphates then try one without. see what you like. you may also want to try one with cones then without etc etc until you find something that works. or maybe your hair just needs a rest perhaps practice benign neglect

MaryO
January 26th, 2014, 04:06 AM
I actually have the same hair, never really thought of it as a bad thing though. ;-) When it's wet it's much less happy...

Tini'sNewHair
January 26th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Mine is the same, I used to damage it so bad trying to curl it in the past by adding TONS of hairspray and then more and more heat, im surprised that my hair didnt just BURN after all that crap - These days, my hair is virgin again and im really loving and accepting the simplicity of it :)

Flor
January 26th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Do you WANT to curl it and use hair spray on it or is it one of those cheeky "My hair grows too fast, I'm tired of cutting it" complaints? :D

sarahthegemini
January 26th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Hair too healthy? There's no such thing as being 'too healthy' ... Also, if your hair has never been able to hold a curl, it's likely just down to your natural texture and non-complient hair. I can't understand the comments saying that if that was their hair, they'd immediately try to pinpoint the product causing it and stop using it ...

cdonald2
January 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Wow! thankyou everyone for all the answers :) you may be right, i tried clarifying it today and it still feels uber soft. I think you guys are right that it just may be my hair.... glad you all helped me figure it out :)

cdonald2
January 26th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I was trying to curl it yesterday and they just fell straight right away hahaha

RapunzelKat
January 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM
There are a couple things you can try, if you do want to get some curls or waves :) If you haven't already, try putting it in rollers/rag curls while damp, or braiding while damp. Maybe use just a little aloe vera gel. Let your hair dry, then take it down. My hair is smooth and slippery, and that's the best way I've found to get it to hold curls or waves. Hot irons don't work at all, and most hairspray makes it yucky :p
Your natural texture is also lovely, though :D

sweet&sourkiwi
January 26th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Hmm...that's exactly how my hair acts when it's both too clean and too conditioned...as in a clarify, deep treat, and acid rinse type day, too close together! Acid (citric acid in conditioner, ACV, etc) and soft water seem to contribute to the slippiness. In my case, I don't like it when my hair gets too silky because I can't get it to do anything and it feels too thin! If it's working for you, though, awesome! But if you're TRYING to get a little more texture and grip...maybe try taking a break from clarifying and go to a more gentle wash method to let your natural oils take over a bit...or backing off on cones? I use shampoo bars and COing to get "second day" hair on occasion...just not-too-perfect but still clean. But, my hair is definitely a bit damaged, and my water is pretty hard, so if I'm not attending to these things my hair is anything but slippy! If you have soft water, you may be able to get away with much gentler wash methods. Anyway, enjoy either way! ps. Cones kill any curl for me...but when my hair is a little less squeaky clean/overconditioned, I can practically add waves by hand, no product req'd. I don't think there's such a thing as too healthy...but there is too clean and coney for certain looks on fine hair!

Hairheart
January 27th, 2014, 12:02 AM
My hair is to the point where normal styling products do nothing to it. It wont hold a curl, and even hairspray wont work on it... yet it is super shiny and feels like silk.... Whats going on here? is this a good thing or am i overconditioned?

I know what you mean, my hair is very limp too. Just flat and don't want to cooperate. I have used "hair sugar dust" in the past with great results. The hair becomes more "roughed up" and easier to form into shapes, with way more body. I haven't used it for several months now, but, whenever I get all my hair back again after a shed I will definitely start using it again.

It reminds a lot of dry shampoo and it does absorb excess scalp oils. I don't have any left right now at home, but I believe it was from TIGI. Not very expensive at all and if I remember it right I think I bought it at ULTA.

ErinLeigh
January 27th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Hmm...that's exactly how my hair acts when it's both too clean and too conditioned...as in a clarify, deep treat, and acid rinse type day, too close together! Acid (citric acid in conditioner, ACV, etc) and soft water seem to contribute to the slippiness. In my case, I don't like it when my hair gets too silky because I can't get it to do anything and it feels too thin! If it's working for you, though, awesome! But if you're TRYING to get a little more texture and grip...maybe try taking a break from clarifying and go to a more gentle wash method to let your natural oils take over a bit...or backing off on cones? I use shampoo bars and COing to get "second day" hair on occasion...just not-too-perfect but still clean. But, my hair is definitely a bit damaged, and my water is pretty hard, so if I'm not attending to these things my hair is anything but slippy! If you have soft water, you may be able to get away with much gentler wash methods. Anyway, enjoy either way! ps. Cones kill any curl for me...but when my hair is a little less squeaky clean/overconditioned, I can practically add waves by hand, no product req'd. I don't think there's such a thing as too healthy...but there is too clean and coney for certain looks on fine hair!

I experience the same. I have natural wurls but when i condition well and use cones or add ACV i cannot hold a curl.
I have a Loreal Naturals Deep Conditioner that has cones and if i use it my hair is super silky, ultra fine feeling and will not hold any curl or wave. Wont stay in a hair stick or clip either.

ellenajordans
January 27th, 2014, 04:19 AM
I really get this, my hair is super healthy at the moment but I can't really do much with it and it's too shiny. It looks greasy sometimes when it's perfectly clean and it's really difficult style.