PDA

View Full Version : Hot oil treatment + greenhouse method feels soooo goood!

mzlbcmami
January 25th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Especially with this amazing oil! Ladies, ladies, ladies! love it! I don't know what it is in this but it feels so good. It must be the cayenne pepper, but it feels amazing! Ah! Love it! Please subscribe to my channel to stay updated with my hair journey to waist length or longer! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3mygCiNDa4

cat11
January 25th, 2014, 04:48 PM
YOUR DIMPLES! So cute. Now that that's out of the way...

I am so glad you shared this, I've been wanting to do a hot oil treatment for a long time now but I haven't gotten around to it/don't know which one to buy. Maybe Ill try that one now.

I just want to put it out there though because you said that you don't like to leave oil overnight, I actually read that leaving conditioner on for more than 30 minutes doesn't really do anything exept for change the structure of the keratin in your hair (thats why it'll feel super soft but it's more prone to breaking like that ) I read that on curly Nikki and somewhere else... just wanted to throw that out there because I used to sleep in deep condioner all the time but Im wary of it now

from curly nikki

Some women love to leave a deep conditioner on their hair for hours at a time for various reasons. While conditioning is good for the hair, too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. Conditioning for hours at a time can result in softer hair and this likely occurs because of a change in the keratin forming a different configuration than normal. Hair that is softer will be weaker and more prone to breaking if manipulated. This change in keratin is temporary and your hair will return to its stronger state but you'll need to be careful how you handle it until it does.

mzlbcmami
January 25th, 2014, 04:54 PM
YOUR DIMPLES! So cute. Now that that's out of the way...

I am so glad you shared this, I've been wanting to do a hot oil treatment for a long time now but I haven't gotten around to it/don't know which one to buy. Maybe Ill try that one now.

I just want to put it out there though because you said that you don't like to leave oil overnight, I actually read that leaving conditioner on for more than 30 minutes doesn't really do anything exept for change the structure of the keratin in your hair (thats why it'll feel super soft but it's more prone to breaking like that ) I read that on curly Nikki and somewhere else... just wanted to throw that out there because I used to sleep in deep condioner all the time but Im wary of it now

from curly nikki

Thank you. :)
& I did not know that. Interesting, thanks for telling me. That does make sense. Pretty much any oil is good, I mean any good natural oil that is. As long as it's pure and unrefined. :)

queenieheather
January 25th, 2014, 07:55 PM
That's true for conditioners but not oil... right?

Firefox7275
January 25th, 2014, 08:29 PM
The published research on penetrating oils (coconut, olive) is overnight up to twenty four hours on dry hair. Check out the deep conditioning series on the Natural Haven blog for information of time/ temperature for conditioning ingredients on wet hair.

Temme
January 25th, 2014, 08:55 PM
That's true for conditioners but not oil... right?

Exactly. At least, as far as I've read, most conditioners take a maximum of 20-30 minutes for your hair to absorb as much conditioner as it possibly can. This is because most of the ingredients in conditioners are meant to coat and smooth the hair, not to penetrate the strand. So leaving it on for any more than 30 minutes would be useless at best.

On the other hand, penetrating oils take longer. As Firefox said, your hair can absorb coconut oil for up to 24 hours. Actually, leaving coconut oil on for only 30 minutes probably wouldn't do much penetration-wise.

cat11
January 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Exactly. At least, as far as I've read, most conditioners take a maximum of 20-30 minutes for your hair to absorb as much conditioner as it possibly can. This is because most of the ingredients in conditioners are meant to coat and smooth the hair, not to penetrate the strand. So leaving it on for any more than 30 minutes would be useless at best.

On the other hand, penetrating oils take longer. As Firefox said, your hair can absorb coconut oil for up to 24 hours. Actually, leaving coconut oil on for only 30 minutes probably wouldn't do much penetration-wise.

this I did not know! thanks because I gave some bad advice... I guess I assumed that was the max time your hair could absorb anything. very good to know considering I'm starting an oil massage challenge..

mzlbcmami
January 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM
That's good to know about the coconut oil. Coconut oil is a must have hair treatment oil & has so many other benefits.