PDA

View Full Version : U shaped ends and updos. Do you?

truepeacenik
January 25th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I'm getting a strong trim urge, as in have someone else do it, to even out my ends from different growth rates and aggressive S&D. And sloppy self trims.

Blunt sounds occasionally problematic with updos at longer lengths (I'm pushing mid thigh wet. Any trim would preserve that marker at the middle)
im not a fan of needing to use pins as well as a stick.

What are your experiences with U, blunt and benign neglect ends in updos, mainly bun and logroll?

braid tassels don't bother me. I usually change the tie off to not over stress one area.

Kaelee
January 25th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I have U ends and they're not easy to tuck in at all. Sometimes they just won't. I think a lot of it depends on hairtype though, too.

My buns tend to look like this: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001_zps4927c6cf.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/001_zps4927c6cf.jpg.html)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My hair is a lot shorter though, too, so you might have better luck.

spidermom
January 25th, 2014, 12:06 PM
No problem with updos and the U-hem. Even with my current layers, there are a few styles I can do.

veryhairyfairy
January 25th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Hm, I really prefer tapered ends for updos. The fact is, the thinner the ends, the easier it is for them to be tucked in/wrapped and secured.
BUT, I've only had thick, u-shaped ends at shorter than waist length, and shorter lengths are usually harder to bun securely anyway.
If your ponytail circumference at Classic+ is notably less than your nape, you might not have any problems with blunt ends from a trim. And heck, if you don't like it, you can vigorously S&D non-damaged ends, or cut layers that are only 1" shorter than your hemline, or thin with thinning shears at the very ends to create that taper for styling.

Rio040113
January 25th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I have a U hem and have no problem tucking my ends, I agree with Kaelee that it probably has a lot to do with your hairtype as well, my hair is on the thinner end of normal now and pretty fine, so it tucks easily no matter what hemline I have.

Anje
January 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I've got enough taper at tailbone (think pencil-thick where I tie off my braids if I braid to the ends, probably as thick as I'm likely to get them) that my hem doesn't seem to affect how my ends tuck into a bun. I haven't had totally natural ends, but I've had more taper than this, had blunt, and had gently layered U, and it all seems OK. Buns have gotten bigger as I maintained to thicken, though. :-)

Chromis
January 25th, 2014, 08:06 PM
To my mind, blunt is simply how thick the ends are. You can have a blunt u or a blunt straight across. I find that taper mostly helps and too blunt in either shape is a bit annoying. Too much taper also gets annoying though because you feel like you are wrapping that last end forrrrrrrevvvver. (Ditto with braids)

Blunt ends look fantastic down, but since I lack whatever magic it is that keeps other people from being eaten alive with loose hair, I prefer slightly managed benign neglect. I hated having a big brush of hair trying to stick out of my updos when I had blunt ends! Again, other people might just be more coordinated or something :lol:

lapushka
January 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM
In my experience, when it's all one-length and you don't do a particularly deep U, there isn't that much difference between a blunt cut and a U shape.