PDA

View Full Version : Hot yoga hairstyles?

Vanilla
January 24th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I'm going to my first hot yoga class tomorrow, and I'm wondering how I should wear my hair. My hair is between waist and hip, on the thicker side of II, and very slippery.

I was thinking to try to do a crown braid, but my hair is getting a little long for those to stay securely now. A bun might not be great because of the laying down poses. A braid might flop around too much.

I have a flexi-8, Amish pins, forks and sticks, as well as bobby pins and ponytail holders.

cheetahfast
January 24th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I used to do a braid, but that was a year ago and before I reached waist.

I think the rabbit pose might be an issue with a high bun, but that would be good for most other poses. Honestly, with you first class you might not be able to complete all the poses, so you can try one style and see how it works and then know for the next one.

I wish I could afford to do hot yoga again, we have a great place near me.

Vanilla
January 24th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the recommendation cheetahfast :). I will try that.

I actually found a great deal on groupon for a yoga studio in Locust Valley. One of my coworkers is taking the class with me tomorrow.

cheetahfast
January 24th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Oooh, that sounds nice!!!! Have fun!!!! It is a tad far for me :(. I'll keep an eye out on groupon for other yoga deals :)!

Make sure you don't eat too much before the class (if you haven't heard so already).

Vanilla
January 24th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks for letting me know that. I was planning on having either a Greek yogurt or a bit of salmon and spinach leftover from dinner as a snack before I go.

My coworker told me also to take ALOT of water with me.

cheetahfast
January 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM
I'm sure a light dinner would be good, as long as it's at least a half hour before the class, I would expect yogurt to be fine even closer to the class. I never got sick, but I saw it happen to others.

A lot of water is good too, but it depends on the class. My instructors only allowed us to drink at certain points so I'd be chugging and trying to get the most I could down :lol:. Afterwards, I'd drink soooo much!!! My instructors always said to drink lots of water before class too.

MeowScat
January 24th, 2014, 08:03 PM
I wonder if some kind of flat-ish top knot would work. A spread-out cinnabun maybe? No hair sticks, try spin pins or something that doesn't stick out.

GreaseMonkey
January 24th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Two little low side buns or ponies work for me. That way you can still lay down on the back and top of your head. I have also french braided my hair diagonally and then pinned up the tail of the braid going up alongside the braid. It makes for a pretty even surface.

Vanilla
January 24th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. :). Great idea about using spin pins! I almost forgot that I had these to secure my hair with.

KittyBird
January 25th, 2014, 01:50 AM
I do yoga, and I usually do a braid secured with a scrunchie and then tied to my bra-strap with a ribbon. It looks silly, but works really well. I tried leaving my braid loose and just tucking it into my t-shirt, but it ended up flopping around and getting in my face too much.

Vanilla
January 25th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Yoga was great. I feel amazing!

I ended up doing two high braided double buns, secured with spin pins. I needed to make the buns a little higher, but they stayed like a rock. Thanks all for your ideas.

verenikiscoma
January 25th, 2014, 01:39 PM
A side braid that goes behind the ear seems to work well for me.

MeowScat
January 25th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, did you sweat your booty off?

Did you bend at the waist with your hair hanging in front of you? I find its much easier that way to get my hair on top of my head.

Kina
January 25th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Since you're going to be in a hot room for 90 minutes anyway, it's a good time to do a hair treatment. My sisters both do it. I don't, because I hate the feeling of anything goopy dripping on my neck. It works beautifully for them.

Vanilla
January 25th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I did sweat my booty off!

I was so glad my coworker told me to bring a change of clothes, including underwear. I didn't bend at the waist to bring my hair on top of my head, I should do that for the next time.

I agree that it would be a good time to do a hair treatment. I don't know if I would like anything dripping down my neck though. Maybe just some coconut oil would work well.