PDA

View Full Version : Question for BBB users

Eryka
September 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Did any of you see an increase in dander or scalp flakes when you began using the BBB? If so, did it settle down in time?

Reason I ask is because I just got done giving my hair a solid go through and at the end it looked like a snowman threw up on my shoulders.

What gives?

midnighttrain
September 10th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I think it's because it's pulling the flakes of skin off your scalp very effectively. I do this on purpose sometimes because my skin is dry and the dead scalp skin flakes just sit there unless I brush them out.

Eryka
September 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Bumping for info. Thanks.

vampodrama
September 11th, 2008, 03:11 AM
yep... happens to me too. I don't have dandruff or anything, but I get a small amount of skin flakes with BBB.

what really bugs me is that BBB makes my hair super greasy super fast. I wash twice a week normally and my hair holds up well for 3 days (4th day is usually pretty awful but it's weekend and I don't leave the house normally). now, when I use BBB on freshly washed hair I have to wash the next day because the greasiness is just so awful.

does anyone else have this problem?

(BTW, I do clean my brush. the greasiness also happens with scalp massage. too much stimulation for my scalp?)

Eryka
September 11th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I get the same greasy problem. Right now its not a big deal because my hair and scalp are a little dry but, if they were not this would not be nice.

ChloeDharma
September 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Yes if you have any buildup on your scalp, skin, product etc then a BBB will loosen it and lift it off....it's part of the purpose. It's a good idea to do a thorough scalp brushing with one just before washing for this reason.

As for greasies, yes it stimulates the sebaceus (sp?) glands to produce more sebum. Massage does too....for me that would be a good thing as i don't produce much, if it's any consolation the oil is quite good for your hair :)

vampodrama
September 11th, 2008, 04:34 AM
well, my scalp and hair are anything but dry, so I can happily donate some of my sebum to others in need :D

now that came out much grosser than I originally intended....

heidi w.
September 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
My hair collects a fair amount of lint and it does show up in my BBB. I tend to not BBB the top of my head hair....generally earlobes on down. Even there, I do detect bits of lint and draw them out by hand.

Also, as the BBB collects more oil/sebum from your hair it clings to the bristles which is why a BBB works to distribute sebum. These brushes therefore become quite dirty/dusty very quickly and easily, especially if left out on a counter or similar. I place mine in a drawer. Another one I have has a silk bag with drawstring to go over it. This keeps down the dander that collects from just being out in the open.

I clear my BBB each use of any strands of hair and bits that I can find before putting it away.

heidi w.

Anje
September 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I suspect that it isn't so much that BBBing causes sebum production (the stimulation does to some extent, but I suspect that occurs over time), but that it moves the sebum that has built up on your scalp and the lowest parts of your hair since the last BBBing or washing. Unfortunately, for me, it manages to move it about 6 inches, giving me a greasy head and still-dry ends.

I actually find my BBB to be the ideal tool to remove lint from my hair, and a few strokes of BBBing on the length and ends can drastically reduce lint-associated tangles.
Which reminds me, I really need to wash mine out, since simply picking the hair and lint out doesn't get all the dust, which it picks up even in the drawer.

Eryka
September 12th, 2008, 04:30 AM
The lint thing is something I definitely have noticed. My normal paddle had these little rings of "carpet fuzz" wrapped around the tines. Which I found funny because we have wood floors.

As for the flakies, I think the BBB is doing something good. Last night when I did the hair wash I noticed that the left side of my scalp was smoother and felt more conditioned. It also had almost no flakes once my scalp and hair had dried. I think instead of having dandruff, I had just accumulated a bunch of scalp crap. (Granted, scalp crap isn't a technical term, but it does fit.)

Hoorah for BBB and less scalp crap.