PDA

View Full Version : How long do y'all stretch between trims with good long term results?

NativeSparrow
January 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Hello All,

Im a new menber & already getting some really good tips :) Its so nice to be in comunion with so many people who are just as serious about hair care as I am!! So, I am wondering how often yall trim your hair? I once grew my hair out very long but I did it without cutting it often. It was super long but it didnt look good. It was frizzy & stringy ... it finally got so bad that I had cut it off at my shoulders to make it look decent again. Ive been growing it out ever since. This time I am determined not to make the same mistake. So, I trim every 8 weeks or whenever it starts feeling scraggledy. I want it to look & be full & healthy but at the same time I am getting frustrated at my creeping progress. I have finally found a good stylist & she takes VERY little off the ends (less than 1/4 inch in most places). I feel like I could make good progress with her. However, Im curious as to how often yall tyrim up? And if you stretch the time between your trims how long do you go & what is your long term result with less frequent trims?

Happy to be here -
:cool:
Also please include your hair type bc i dont understand the abbrviations for texture & curlyness yet (I think I posted this somewhere else first ... OOps :) :)

patienceneeded
January 24th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I use to trim my hair more often (every 3-4 months) back when I was getting rid of damage from dyes and heat. Now that all the old damage is gone I've moved to a "every 6 months" routine. I only trim about .5" at my 6-month trims.

My last trim was mid-August, so I'm approaching my 6-month mark in the next few week. I may hold off until the end of March though. I can't find any damage, so there's no real need to trim yet.

YamaMaya
January 24th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Your slow progress seems to be attributed to too much trimming, 8 weeks is far too short a time. I'd say cut down to once every 3 months and see if your progress improves, and maybe even move on to once every 6 months if you're serious about gaining length. Remember hair grows on average a half inch per month, so if you trim off even a quarter of an inch every 8 weeks, you're still losing some of the length you just gained.

melusine963
January 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM
While I was growing out old damage, I had to chop off half my yearly growth just to keep my ends manageable. It didn't matter that I was taking good care of my hair (gentle treatment, oiling, updos, etc.). Until the old damage was completely gone, my hair kept splitting. Now that I finally have a clean slate I can start making real progress, and I only have to trim my hair once or twice a year.

Liz_park
January 24th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I am currently trying to remove my layers, so have been growing for 4 months, trimming 1 inch, growing for 4 months, trimming 1 inch. The ends look great and this schedule is gradually removing my layers as I grow, so my hair has become thicker and more full.

If you don't have layers, you could probably grow 3-4 months and then trim a 1/4 inch or a 1/2 inch.

I also would recommend self-trimming if you can. I use Feye's Self Trim Method and have found it has really helped my hair. Sometimes a hair stylist will cut more than you like without you knowing it, and this will slow down your progress. Plus self-trimming is cheaper. A pair of sharp scissors can cost $20 or less, and if you only use them on hair, they will stay sharp for a long time.

Aingeal
January 24th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I trim once every six months or so (although I'm itching to trim a bit early this time around). I have course, 3b curls, but keep them moist with oiling, leave ins, and curly girl friendly products (for the most part.) I also keep it up 90% of the time.

AmyBeth
January 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I have fine, slightly wavy hair. I last had a very heavily layered cut in December of 2010 and decided to grow it out. I think I want a wispy hemline, not quite fairytale, but not quite blunt. So I microtrim every 3 months. I'm evening out the hemline but I only lose about an inch of growth a year. I didn't have much damage to speak of when I started growing out, and now, thanks to all I've learned here, I have no damage at all! I use Feye's self trim method.

ExpectoPatronum
January 24th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I used to be one of those people who trimmed very often because my hair was growing out damage and it split within a couple of weeks of trimming. I was getting nowhere with my length progress because I'd inevitably cut off all my growth. Like you, I started with a new slate and cut off all the damaged hair. I did that at the very end of September and I'm already back to where I started last time! (BSL).

Aside from S&D here and there, I haven't had an actual trim trim in almost four months (That's a long time for me considering I was trimming every month!). I don't plan on trimming again until after the summer.

I plan on making that work by being as gentle with my hair as possible. Stretching washes, lots of conditioner, oil treatments (I will be trying avocado oil soon as coconut and olive don't absorb into my hair), and wearing it in updos. At BSL, my hair gets caught in my backpack and along the back of my chair now which can wreak havoc on ends. I second another poster's recommendation of getting some hair cutting scissors and learning to trim your own hair. You can also try search and destroy, which is where you cut out individual splits, to stretch the amount of time between trims. It's worked for me so far! Plus, cutting those little buggers out at the end of a long day is very stress relieving :)

Good luck!

ExpectoPatronum
January 24th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I used to be one of those people who trimmed very often because my hair was growing out damage and it split within a couple of weeks of trimming. I was getting nowhere with my length progress because I'd inevitably cut off all my growth. Like you, I started with a new slate and cut off all the damaged hair. I did that at the very end of September and I'm already back to where I started last time! (BSL).

Aside from S&D here and there, I haven't had an actual trim trim in almost four months (That's a long time for me considering I was trimming every month!). I don't plan on trimming again until after the summer.

I plan on making that work by being as gentle with my hair as possible. Stretching washes, lots of conditioner, oil treatments (I will be trying avocado oil soon as coconut and olive don't absorb into my hair), and wearing it in updos. At BSL, my hair gets caught in my backpack and along the back of my chair now which can wreak havoc on ends. I second another poster's recommendation of getting some hair cutting scissors and learning to trim your own hair. You can also try search and destroy, which is where you cut out individual splits, to stretch the amount of time between trims. It's worked for me so far! Plus, cutting those little buggers out at the end of a long day is very stress relieving :)

Good luck!

NativeSparrow
January 24th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys! I will defenitly stretch to at least 3 months & see where I am. I have a pair of REALLY nice hair cutting scissors so I will start back up w s&d. I am growing out some particularly funky layers so ill probably keep getting it cut by a pro until I get those layers out.

I HEART LHC ;)

ositarosita
January 24th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I trim my hair whenever it needs it. Could be 5 months could be over a year. At the moment I am trimming out layers so I trim whenever I hit a milestone. (Shoulders, armpit, brastrap etc.) My hair is wavy/ curly (corkscrew curls) my hair strands themselves are fine but I have a lot of them. My hair looks and feels great doing it this way.

ellenajordans
January 24th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I trim every 4 months before the new school term. So at the end of the summer holiday, end of xmas holidays and end of spring/ Easter break!!!

kganihanova
January 24th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Your slow progress seems to be attributed to too much trimming, 8 weeks is far too short a time. I'd say cut down to once every 3 months and see if your progress improves, and maybe even move on to once every 6 months if you're serious about gaining length. Remember hair grows on average a half inch per month, so if you trim off even a quarter of an inch every 8 weeks, you're still losing some of the length you just gained.

I trim every 8 weeks but its not a significant amount. This trimming schedule has allowed me to retain 50 percent more length. But than again, I grow more than half an inch a month and only trim a 1/8th of an inch.

Rio040113
January 24th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I trim once or twice a year, so every 6 or 12 months, usually it's more to keep my hemline in shape than anything as I S&D a lot and I have no layers or damage to grow out :) I take off 0.5" - 1" per trim.

CurlyCap
January 24th, 2014, 07:40 PM
My hair is curly, with curls about the size of sharpies. The strands are fairly thick, but I don't know if they meet the cut off for "coarse".

I learned in my 20s that my hair does best with trims every 6 months. Longer than that, and the minor damage turns into splits or breakage (from velcro-like ends tangling), and it's just not worth it.

So every 6 months I trim 1". I could be less (if I trim every 6 months there really is no visible damage), but it is a length that is easy for me to trim myself and my hair grows quickly enough that I don't miss 2" a year.

Hope that helps.

jupiterinleo
January 24th, 2014, 07:49 PM
I don't S&D (I have lots of hair but little patience) so I trim probably every 3 months. My hair growth is on the faster side so I can get away with it.
If I see a bad split when I'm at home I will trim it off, but I won't go all-out.

Hairitic
January 25th, 2014, 10:54 AM
When I had some old dye & chemical straightener damage to get rid of, I was getting and inch trimmed off every 4 mos. Once that seemed to be gone, I switched to every 6 mos. It gets a little thin on the ends by the end of the 6 mos. but doesn't look too bad. I have an inch trimmed off each time and it thickens the ends and makes them look neater. Once I reach Classic, I'll start having trims probably every 3 mos. to maintain.

HintOfMint
January 25th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I found that I can't go longer than 6 months. Even with being careful, there's just a certain amount of wear that my hair accumulates and my hair gets irreparably crunchy after that mark. And that's even after the clarifying, moisture, chelating and the like. After four years, I just know from experience that my hair just needs a good trim at that point.

&rea
January 25th, 2014, 11:47 AM
It has been 6 months since my last trim. I don't use ant heat tools and was every other day or every third day (stretching washes), and usually wear protective updos so I have very little damage. I probably wont need another trim for at least 4 or 5 months.

spidermom
January 25th, 2014, 12:02 PM
For the best-looking length, I found that every 3 months was a good trimming schedule.

Just be careful that you're trimming less than your growth rate, and you can trim as often as you want and still gain length. When I first started growing out my hair, I went from grown-out pixie (still short but shaggy and shapeless) to below the shoulder blades with trims every 6-8 weeks. My stylist was on board with my goal of long hair and never trimmed too much.

Anabell
January 25th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I think it depends of the condition of the ends. If you have virgin hair so I think it will be fine to trim it 2-3 times in a year or less. I personally grow out a dye and also want to thicken up my hemline so I trim it once in a month. In general, I think it is better to trim small amounts more often than large amounts at once. If, for example you have decided that you want to trim 1\3 of your annually growth in a year, it will be better to trim an half of inch every 3 mouth that to cut 2 inches once a year.

The rational behind it- if there some split ends they will have less time to climb up and ruin more length.

pri108
January 25th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Hello All,

Im a new menber & already getting some really good tips :) Its so nice to be in comunion with so many people who are just as serious about hair care as I am!! So, I am wondering how often yall trim your hair? I once grew my hair out very long but I did it without cutting it often. It was super long but it didnt look good. It was frizzy & stringy ... it finally got so bad that I had cut it off at my shoulders to make it look decent again. Ive been growing it out ever since. This time I am determined not to make the same mistake. So, I trim every 8 weeks or whenever it starts feeling scraggledy. I want it to look & be full & healthy but at the same time I am getting frustrated at my creeping progress. I have finally found a good stylist & she takes VERY little off the ends (less than 1/4 inch in most places). I feel like I could make good progress with her. However, Im curious as to how often yall tyrim up? And if you stretch the time between your trims how long do you go & what is your long term result with less frequent trims?

Happy to be here -
:cool:
Also please include your hair type bc i dont understand the abbrviations for texture & curlyness yet (I think I posted this somewhere else first ... OOps :) :)

Hi Native sparrow,

I know people say regular trim is important to boost hair growth but i noticed hair grows even if you don't cut it, will be slower though, but its not end of the world. i cut it mainly for the texture. I don't have a fixed time. I cut only when my hair starts lookign strange, rough, and untamed (can't express in words) like it is desperately in need of a hair cut. (have you noticed hair texture changes, it looks livelier and healthier after a cut.) I trim as little as i can. i think though that 8 weeks sounds quite reasonable. but then again every one is different some people's hair grows very fast some very slow so i think you should experiement with the time and see what is good for your hair. try leaving it longer than 8 weeks keep pushing and find the point that is the maximum your hair can go without a cut.

LaFlor
January 25th, 2014, 04:39 PM
I can get away with going 6-12 months without a trim, and I don't even S&D. It all depends on your hair.